Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: cold storage

Smile cold storage

this is what we call our cold storage elevator. Culvert pipe is 48 inch diameter by 7 foot deep. Shelves are 44 inch diameter plywood with casters (aka lazy susan). 1/4 inch diamond plate lid. 850 watt (1 hp) double line cable hoist. It stays between 40 and 50 degrees in summertime depending on how hot. It works great!

Very nice! It's -34 here today though, and the ice cream sitting out on the porch has a Rockwell hardness of about 130, so......
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

And bear proof when stowed. Very neat.
    Do you use any insulation under the lid?
    Live life and love it
    Love life and live it

Very Nice!... How does it do in the winter? Temp,s Ive been thinking of something like this. So could leave Liq. stuff, Water, Beer, Pop.. behind without it freezing.. Is 7 ft deep enough for that?

great idea, I to am curious what temps it keeps in winter months.

Default Elevator

YOU CAN SEE 2 INCH R-TECH ON THE LID IN THE PICTURE. THIS IS THE FIRST WINTER IT'S ENDURING. I DID THOUGH PUT MASON JARS FILLED WITH WATER IN PLASTIC CONTAINERS ON EACH SHELF TO GET AN IDEA OF IT'S USEFULNESS IN WINTER FOR LIQUIDS. I'LL CHECK IT IN THE SPRING.

Where are you located?
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    #Resist

Like you,ak

Well, ok then. My part of AK would be too cold in winter to prevent anything from freezing only 7' down, without a heat source... Cool experiment tho (no pun). Best luck!
    #Resist

Default Elevator

I LIKE YOUR USERNAME. VERY CUNNING.

Quote Originally Posted by cabinfields View Post
    I LIKE YOUR USERNAME. VERY CUNNING.
    Thank you. I hold no claim as a master debater, but when presented the opportunity I savour it, and endeavor to be a cunning linguist.
    #Resist

Difficult to employ such language skills from cold storage, and even more difficult from 7 feet under!
    Inspiration is simply the momentary cessation of stupidity.

Quote Originally Posted by iofthetaiga View Post
    Well, ok then. My part of AK would be too cold in winter to prevent anything from freezing only 7' down, without a heat source... Cool experiment tho (no pun). Best luck!
    Put foam insulation on the ground around the hole in addition to the lid. Our cabin is in Trapper Creek, so not the coldest spot in the state but here's what we have: 4' wide x 8' long x 4' deep. 2" of the blue foam board over the hole (topped with 1/2 pressure treated plywood) and extending 4' out over the ground all the way around the hole.

I laid out the insulation on the ground before I started digging and used the dirt from the hole to cover and protect the foam board. On it's 2nd year now - low 30's by the end of winter and around 40F by the end of summer. About perfect.

In colder spots go with thicker insulation, extend out horizontally more, and/or a deeper hole.

That is a slick cold storage unit you have

thermometer on top and bottom shelves checked weekly against outdoor surface temp would be good info

Cool cold storage

P1020518.jpgIt was mainly built for our hot interior summer days.

NRick How do you keep the water out in the spring thaw? I remember we did one like that to keep stuff away from bears,ect.. came back in the spring and full of water what a mess gen, gas, all are tools, nails, chain saw..ect...Seems like all the snow melt drains to the lowest hole..Even now the out house will have water in thru, Month of May..

Default Spring thaw

Quote Originally Posted by susitnaak View Post
    nrick how do you keep the water out in the spring thaw? I remember we did one like that to keep stuff away from bears,ect.. Came back in the spring and full of water what a mess gen, gas, all are tools, nails, chain saw..ect...seems like all the snow melt drains to the lowest hole..even now the out house will have water in thru, month of may..
    like i said earlier in the thread, this is it's first winter, so i'm not sure yet. The bottom 1 foot is dead space, allowing for a little water. We are actually sitting on an old glacier moraine, so it drains fairly well, according to( our )out house.

Quote Originally Posted by SusitnaAk View Post
    NRick How do you keep the water out in the spring thaw? I remember we did one like that to keep stuff away from bears,ect.. came back in the spring and full of water what a mess gen, gas, all are tools, nails, chain saw..ect...Seems like all the snow melt drains to the lowest hole..Even now the out house will have water in thru, Month of May..
    It's at a high point in the general area so most water drains away and I've never had any free standing water in the bottom (some water does drip in around the hatch). Also, when I laid out the foam board I sloped it away from the hole and lapped it like you would shingles. The bottom is somewhat sandy soil with a sheet of weed matt and then about an inch or two of gravel so your feet stay clean when you jump down in there.

That said I've got a real moisture problem. Who knew pressure treated wood can grow fungus? The problem is, I don't want to ventilate because that would freeze everything in the winter and make it all warm in the summer. I plan to build a roof over it this winter to shed snow and rain farther from around the hole. Hopefully that reduces the moisture content in the hole.

In light of the treated plywood/mold issue, have you ever seen that 2" blueboard that has the 1/2" of concrete facing on it? With some sort of supporting structure to hold them in place, that may make a suitable surface that wont mold and or rot....

Just an idea. Thanks for the thread, lots of good ideas to be tossed around..next summer's project list is starting to grow already....gulp.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast