Thread: What sled would be best...?

Default What sled would be best...?

Looking for recommendation for a new sled. My needs would be:

Mostly off trail/remote backcountry
    would need to carry 25-35lbs of camera gear
    would need to carry survival/overnight gear
    Occasionally pull a sled behind

I was looking at cross overs and powder sleds. I also looked
    at the Nytro for the 4 stroke but a little concerned about the weight off trail.

I thought I would pick your brains on this as you all have
    a lot of experience. I appreciate your input. Thanks.

How fast do you need to go? The tundras can do all that you listed, but are not very fast.

Default Fast

I would also want to use it for fun so, yeah it would ideally be fast (but not necessarily have to be the fastest)

Any 700+ cc mountain sled would handle the backcountry and pulling duties.

Heavy Hitter Fishing
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Heavy...54441957966186

Kodiak Custom Fishing Tackle Pro-Staff

Quote Originally Posted by AK2AZ View Post
    Any 700+ cc mountain sled would handle the backcountry and pulling duties.
    Thanks, I had not considered a mountain sled. I will take a look.

What's the budget?

no budget really. I can afford what I need.

Default I used my Nytro

I used my '08 Nytro MTX to pull a Otter sled w/ 2 Topcon survey grade GPS units, one PacCrest 35w base radio, one 12v full size car battery, one motorcycle size 12v, a gas axe, something to dig with and two full size Crane tripods (those puppies aren't not light) all over the Big Lake trail system in search of rectangular corner monuments. From the Tug Bar to Flat Horn Lake, Houston to Ayshire Rd. If the mons were convenient to an existing trail that would just be chalked up to clean living and good luck.

You WILL get an endorsement for all four brands...I like my Yamaha's. I have had to replaced only one battery in my '08 MTX w/6,500 miles...only oil and filter on the wife's '08 MTX w 2,800. The '09 XTX just got a new starter solenoid 1,800 miles. The two '05 Vector Mtn needed only oil and filters, both, when sold to get the Nytro's had over 5,000 miles.

The Vectors where a handful in deep snow...we were both novices. Needless to say we learned a AWFUL lot about what we and the machines can or can not do in deep snow off trail. We especially learned how to extricate them from a poorly chosen location for a three point turn on a plugged trail. The Nytro's on the other hand are just plain hard to get stuck...oh it CAN be done believe me, but it is harder to do. We are better riders. We are smarter about our choices and the machines are just plain better than what they replaced. There is no substitute for using your head for something other than a nice place to display a fancy helmet.

No matter what brand you decide a critical part of the decision must include who you by it from. They all need to be serviced. Do you trust the guy to service the machine or is he out to "service" you?

Happy New Year

My wife is selling her '08 Nytro MTX, she lusting after the XTX.
    Natural Selection begins with you!

Default Good info

Thanks, great feedback. Great info on the Nytro. I would be happy to
    hear good recommendations on dealers too. I am willing
    to drive...(live in wasilla)

Take a look at the XF1100 turbo from Arctic Cat

http://arcticcat.com/snow/sleds/mode...100TURBOSNOPRO

If are are going to be travelling trails for any long distances keep track choices to 1.5" paddles but not smaller then 1.25". Also going with a real long sled, like over 144", need to realize that tend to push a little in the tight trails and most times you are stuck with big track paddles.

I run a 128" length with the 1.5" paddle and a minimal amount of 1.740 studs for traction on the hard surfaces. I can't climb straight up from a dead stop in the middle of a steep climb but I drive the guys running mountain sleds crazy all day as I am never far behind and I am never left behind when running backcountry off the mountains.

Default Interesting

Thanks, definitely struggling a bit choosing a track length. Good comments on that,I got a good
    visual on what you are saying. I will check out the cat.

If I was you, I'd go for the Tundra. You aint gonna beat a tundra for what you want to do. When the going gets tight, the Tundra has a clutch that engages at a much slower rpm than other sleds. It's lightweight, and in a two stroke, she'll always start. The Tundra is probably one of the lightest machines going.

The 600 etec motor, or the 550 fan, dang good machines I tells yah. The Skandic has a snycro transmission with low gear. This mean that you can shift on the fly. The skandic is a bit heavier though with the wide track. Slow going gearing is a charm. But take your pic though, you won't be disappointed. I haven't hear a single person complain about the performance or reliability of the new ski doo work machines.

Default Like it

Nice machine. Food for thought...

Not that I have jumped ship and gone over to the 4 strokes yet....but the Cats should be fine starting as they are dry oil sump engines. The only suck thing about 4's is no pull rope.....you would have to go clutch pull if you get to where you have to pull start and do not kill the battery dead before trying to pull start as there does need to be some power to make restart a little easier.

Hey spinner, I just can't do it.......I can't go to a fourstroke machine that doesn't have pull start. The industry was forced to develop these fourstrokes and IMO, they are all mediocre at best. There's something to be said for going out at 40 below zero at my future home (south of the west fork gulkana, northwest of crosswind lake), pushing the primer, flipping the choke lever, and getting my Widetrak LX or our Bearcat 340 to start with ONE PULL. Our Widetrak is 620 lbs dry, and the Bearcat about 480 lbs dry. IMO, the only new utility machines worth anything today is the new Polaris 600 Widetrak(two stroke), 550 fan tundras, the 550 fan skandics, and the 570 fan Bearcats. I don't care how bad the fuel mileage is with a two stroke.........ya'll can keep the fourstrokes, I'll never own one.

Quote Originally Posted by mainer_in_ak View Post
    Hey spinner, I just can't do it.......I can't go to a fourstroke machine that doesn't have pull start. The industry was forced to develop these fourstrokes and IMO, they are all mediocre at best. There's something to be said for going out at 40 below zero at my future home (south of the west fork gulkana, northwest of crosswind lake), pushing the primer, flipping the choke lever, and getting my Widetrak LX or our Bearcat 340 to start with ONE PULL. Our Widetrak is 620 lbs dry, and the Bearcat about 480 lbs dry. IMO, the only new utility machines worth anything today is the new Polaris 600 Widetrak(two stroke), 550 fan tundras, the 550 fan skandics, and the 570 fan Bearcats. I don't care how bad the fuel mileage is with a two stroke.........ya'll can keep the fourstrokes, I'll never own one.
    Eventually we will all be legislated in to 4strokes, just look at the situation on the Keni river.
    When seconds count, the cops are just minutes away.
    '08 24' HCM Granite HD "River Dog"

The Kenai River needed restrictions as during heavy boat traffic, the water quality was as if somebody was dumping 55 gallon drums of unburnt two stroke oil and fuel off the bridge according to the guys who tested the water. With the amount of salmon that run up that river, going to fourstroke restriction was necessary and anybody who thinks differently, is a totally uninformed/inbred idiot. Winter travel, and concerning emissions going into the cold winter air, not as big of a deal as a precious and world class salmon river.

Oh! I know why they imposed the restrictions on the Keni. I'm just saying they will be imposed elsewhere too. Maybe not tomorrow, but in the future. They have there foot in the door now! Get ready for Ethanol fuel too. Just like they are out to get your ".38 snubnose"

Quote Originally Posted by mainer_in_ak View Post
    I was saying the same thing a couple of years ago. Heres my time line for you.....I would not own a Harely if it was given to me, sold my Sportbike and bought a Harley 3 years ago.....the one that no one will acknowledge being a true Harley, a V Rod. It is no way shape or form a Harley but in name. Harley now has to figure out how to meet the new ARB standards for 2014. I am betting we will see more variations of the same motor as the V Rod. The same is true for the sled 4 stroke world, Yamaha has been doing it for a long time, Cat, Poo & Doo all have made a stab at a utility 4 stroke. Cat has been making a performance 4 stroke since '07 in the Jag Z1 and many thought that was going to be the motor, nope didn't happen. Then they went to Suzuki and said help us out, they bring the engine in house and redesign/re-engineer to what we have today the 2012, two cylinder 4 strokes and available with a turbo making 177 hp. Cat now has a lineup as of now that will meet the 2014 ARB regulations.

The weight of these things has come down with the Cats coming in at about 550 pounds. A change in the oiling system should work well in cold weather. Those of us that want to continue to run 2 strokes will be hording the vintage sleds of tomorrow.

There is two teams running the Irondog with 4 strokes, one Yamaha team and one Arctic Cat team. Not that I will base my decision on what happens during the race but it will show if then design is going to work.

Look at the video I posted under engine swap if have not already seen it. Some guys I know from back east. Them guys got new machines and no snow.

I do not believe there will be many 2 strokes beyond 2014. Kind of like the Kenai river deal. Doo is banking on the ETEC but I am hearing it did not pass and getting a redesign. Poo I believe is going to go the Cat route next year, mostly 4 strokers. A wait and see. When I am wrong somebody bring back to this thread and tell me to wake up and smell the 2 stroke.

As far as priming it and pull starting it even that is going away....almost cannot work on these things without a computer now-n-days.

"As far as priming it and pull starting it even that is going away....almost cannot work on these things without a computer now-n-days." The days you could set the timing by ear on a car are long gone too. "Technology" keep up with it or live in a cave with your head in the sand.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast