Thread: Wood snowshoes

Default Wood snowshoes

Any one know where in the Anchorage or the valley area to pick up a new pair? I really dislike my tubbs metal snowshoes, way to noisy. would prefer the Alaskan 10x56 type.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Try 6 avenue outfitters in anchoage.

Try the next gun show in Wasilla in the next couple weeks, there is always a pair or two for sale at the gun shows....

If you are stalking game, where noise is a factor, I have found that by cutting down some GI Wool Blankets to fit the shoes by wrapping the underneath side and lacing it above will reduce the noise considerably. Snow will not stick to it, as long as it is cold and dry. In really cold/brittle snow conditions, the wooden shoes can be as noisy as the metal ones and will tend to squeak even moreso.
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

Thanks all I'll look at the next gun show. If not i'll order from Iverson. Happy new Year

Quote Originally Posted by Akonthefly View Post
    Any one know where in the Anchorage or the valley area to pick up a new pair? I really dislike my tubbs metal snowshoes, way to noisy. would prefer the Alaskan 10x56 type.

Thanks in advance for any help.
    Don't know about local but online Duluth carries a variety of wooden snowshoes.

http://duluthpack.com/outdoor-gear/snow-sports
    "If snowmachiners would adopt the habits of riding one at a time and not parking at the base of avalanche prone slopes, the number of fatalities would likely be whittled by at least a third, if not by half." ~ Jill Fredston, in the book Snowstruck, In The Grip Of Avalanches.

There's another thread kicking around within the past week on the same subject and someone suggested these folks: http://www.snowshoesalesandrepairs.com/?action=products . They look like fantastic shoes. Have talked to them recently, and can say they're nice folks too.
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

I love my Iverson trail shoes, but those Ojibway style with the monoline look pretty skookum!
    i would never own another pair of babiche shoes, but I also have a pair of cabelas guide shoes that I like. Iverson has a nice heavy duty binding as well.
    Alaska Board of Game 2015 tour... "Kicking the can down the road"
    http://www.alaskabackcountryhunters.org/

I've got a pair of Snowcraft 10x56's that I love. They have the rubber instead of the original rawhide. They are virtually maintenance free and tough as nails. I highly recommend a set if you can find one. Thanks for the info on the blanket-fix. Also, e-bay is overflowing with snowshoes...................
    Follow me...................

Thanks all, found a great pair of wood snowshoes at the gun show today.

Did you get rawhide or the vulcanized rubber webbing? I saw both kinds at the show today. I saw several pairs to include larger ones and smaller bearpaws.

Tubbs 10x56 rawhide. look like they were never worn.

Congrats on the shoes!! I may have to knock the dust off mine with a short jaunt up to Flat-Top to check out a hidden winter camp spot. That seems to be the only good reason to be out in minus temps, being the comfort for some shoeing.........I like -5 to -15 depending on the snow depth and trail or if I'm breaking trail. I think I'll start with my 10x56's and carry my mountain Tubbs along. Guess I'll get up and get the pack and thermos together.