Thread: Help with Holster for my Model 29

Default Help with Holster for my Model 29

I haven't been carrying my 44 lately as I had it in my head that it was just to big and bulky to be carrying around. I have been looking at short barreled counter parts lately with a lustful eye. I pulled my Smith out of the safe tonight where it has been hostage for to long. I fondled and held it for a while and realized there is nothing wrong with my gun, the holster is the problem. I have an older Uncle Mikes shoulder holster, that is uncomfortable and makes it hard to get to my gun in a hurry. I have a Smith model 29-3, it has the full underlug, and 4 position silhouette sights. The barrel is 5 7/8 inches measured from the front of the cylinder. I was told this was a Lew Horton classic hunter model, I have no way to verify this but it sure sounds good. Anyway, do any of you have some good suggestions as to a better holster so my old Smith can go on more walks. I was thinking something on the hip would be more practical. Thanks for your help.

Brent
    LIVE TO HUNT....HUNT TO LIVE!!!!

For my smith, I got this holster from simply ruggedL http://www.simplyrugged.com/chesty-p...ersion-system/

Works well for me!

The Bianchi thumb break is hard to beat for ease and speed of draw

Get yourself a Diamond-D chest rig, get in off your belt, out of your arm swing, away from your bending parts, and never look back.
    http://www.diamonddcustomleather.com/Chest_Holsters.php
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

Thanks for the replies. Those chest rigs look like the way to go. Both designs look well made. I'm definately going to invest in one, when I can afford it.

Here is a different low cost option for you.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=267313818

It's a Idaho Leather #476 "Bandoleer Combination" holster. Get an extra strap for $26. Rig it with a strap over each shoulder.
    A little slow to put on, but carries very easy. He doesn't make them to carry this way, I just was trying out different ideas, and it worked well for me.
    I use it for a 7.5" SRH.

I have a couple of Diamond D's "guides choice" and a simply rugged "pancake" among others.

The diamond d's carry very nice, I use them for 5.5" Redhawk, 4" Redhawk and a 4" SRH. But the Idaho Leather w/extra strap carries all with less pressure on my shoulders, because of the extra strap.

Comfort didn't matter as much when I was young, but it does now.

I don't use the "Simply Rugged" much, cause I often carry a pack. But it is a good holster.

For a belt holster a Bianchi 111 cyclone is also nice.

I use a Bianchi 7001 for a 4" 329/629, very light and carries well (my favorite for a belt holster, for those hand guns).

If your going to carry on your belt. you gotta get a good belt.
    "The older I get, the better I was."

With all of these chest carry holsters, are you guys still able to carry bino's and a pack?

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

Quote Originally Posted by ADfields View Post
    Get yourself a Diamond-D chest rig, get in off your belt, out of your arm swing, away from your bending parts, and never look back.
    I agree. I have one of those. "Guide's Choice" for my 44, Mdl 29, 6" barrel. I also have a Hip Holster, from the same place. I keep both available, but the Chest Rig, is the one I use most often.

Dave came up with a good thing there. It's probably, World Famous by now.

The strapping is amazingly simple, and easy on and off. By comparison, the "Chesty Puller" from Simply Rugged with all the straps running every which way, seems like a bad joke.

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

I gave up on shoulder rigs....I'm wearing a pack or fishing vest when I need a pistol....a belt holster works best for me....

Quote Originally Posted by Smitty of the North View Post
    The strapping is amazingly simple, and easy on and off. By comparison, the "Chesty Puller" from Simply Rugged with all the straps running every which way, seems like a bad joke.

Smitty of the North
    Yea I have a Simply Rugged Chesty Puller too, he makes very good pancake holsters but the skinny Chesty Puller straps cut into me and they are awaked to get on and off.

Quote Originally Posted by pipercub View Post
    I gave up on shoulder rigs....I'm wearing a pack or fishing vest when I need a pistol....a belt holster works best for me....
    I use a pack all the time with my Diamond-D Guides Choice and itís a non issue. just adjust them to work together and it works great. With binos, pack, and gun I lower the gun onto my belly some and use a double shoulder type rig for the glass up on my chest. Here are some pictures off Davis sight of people with his rig and a pack on, works just fine. Beets the heck out of walking around with a hand on the britches pulling them up all the time or wearing spenders and I can even sit-n-rest with dipping the muzzle in the dirt, pinched, poked, etc.
    tn_480_BLS_at_Grand_Teton__NP_JPG.jpgtn_480_IMG_2010_JPG.jpg
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

Quote Originally Posted by mfletcher View Post
    For my smith, I got this holster from simply ruggedL http://www.simplyrugged.com/chesty-p...ersion-system/

Works well for me!
    Both of these are great. The Simply Rugged Sourdough pancake is my choice for belt carry.
    Follow me...................

Quote Originally Posted by gunguy1968 View Post
    Both of these are great. The Simply Rugged Sourdough pancake is my choice for belt carry.
    here are a couple of mine......
    happy trails.
    jh

Quote Originally Posted by Smitty of the North View Post
    I agree. I have one of those. "Guide's Choice" for my 44, Mdl 29, 6" barrel. I also have a Hip Holster, from the same place. I keep both available, but the Chest Rig, is the one I use most often.

Dave came up with a good thing there. It's probably, World Famous by now.

Smitty of the North
    Plus one on the Guides Choice. excellent quality, local grown

I gotta sing the praises of the Diamond-D Guides' Choice chest rig too. It keeps the gun out of the way of outside activities, but instantly available and it stays put in one place once you adjust it. Ya might want to shift it to the side or take it off if you're eating tacos though.
    Now what ?

Quote Originally Posted by stevelyn View Post
    I gotta sing the praises of the Diamond-D Guides' Choice chest rig too. It keeps the gun out of the way of outside activities, but instantly available and it stays put in one place once you adjust it. Ya might want to shift it to the side or take it off if you're eating tacos though.
    I bought the Diamond D's with the optional removable flap................works great when eating taco's...................sheds the drippings rather nicely.
    "The older I get, the better I was."

+1 It's an awesome chest rig!