Thread: My First Spacegun.

Default My First Spacegun.

Couple days ago I mailed a cashiers check to cover the cost of a build to Mike Millie of Dedicated Technology. Everything I have seen posted on various forums about this fellow shows him to be upright and a righteous builder of extremely accurate AR's.
    http://www.dtechsuperstore.com

I decided to using the Shilen select match barrel since it is probably one of the five best barrels being made today on this planet. It will be 24 inches in length, as large a diameter as will fit under Millie's own free-float handguard and through his Picatinney gasblock. (I stressed I was going to use back up iron sights so to take this into consideration) I know the barrel will be heavy, I have already thought of that.

I asked for a reamer with the tightest chamber and neck that will allow the use of factory ammo and not specifically use neck turned brass. And throated for use with the 63 grain Barnes TSX. This is the heaviest bullet I will shoot. My expectations are nothing further than a 500 yard shot. I was looking at a 1:9 twist as Barnes states this twist is necessary for this bullet, but Millie told me he doesn't recommend a short throat with a 1:9 twist, only his 1:12 and 1:14 barrels. He has a reamer he calls a "Heavy Match" that is very tight in the body and neck, but has a throat that allows seating of any bullet out to magazine length. I was looking at the tighter twist due to most of my shooting in the wintertime cold temps in dense air; the extra stabilization might be necessary? I need to call him next week to ask him to send me copies of his chamber prints. I want to be able to seat bullets into the lands, not be tied into using long heavy bullets. I don't care if I have to seat the bullet deep into the case, I will if I have too.

Trigger will be the Geissel NM set to 1.75 pound first stage with a 0.5 pound second stage.

The upper, lower and barrel will be done in Norrel Moly-Resin Olive Drab. The small parts, ejection port cover, gasblock and handguard/mount will all be Norrel Flat Black.
    Here are photos I found on Barf.com that a fellow (duckcmmndr), posted of his AR he had just completed. It is drop-dead gorgeous, so I felt no qualms copying the photo to paste here since this is AR-15 art.

Is that far out or what? So there we go. Looks like my wait time might be as long as five months. Crap. This is gonna be hard.

If anyone has constructive comments, please post'em.

Thanks.
    Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocre minds. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence. Albert Einstein

Better living through chemistry (I'm a chemist)

You can piddle with the puppies, or run with the wolves...

Good looking rifle. Have you looked at the models that spikes tactical sells direct though? They have a few that come standard in a similar setup with lothar walther LW50 match grade barrels, etc.

Either way, its a sexy setup

DTI does good work. When you get it make sure you grease the Norrell's (assuming you are having the interior parts done too) good for the break-in on the areas where parts move, especially the bolt carrier. That will allow the parts to seat better. White lithium is good.

Enjoy that fine weapon!!

Happy New Year!!
    Somewhere along the way I have lost the ability to act politically correct. If you should find it, please feel free to keep it.

I haven't looked at Spikes Tactical yet but will. This thing is going to take five months, which is a drag because the hunting season will be over pretty much. For me. Seal hunting during breakup will be fun, for the wife.

I have a pic of .223/5.56 chamber dimensions. I'll get that up once Hunt101 is back up.
    Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocre minds. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence. Albert Einstein

Quality is always worth the wait.
    "A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise, and independence to the mind."

I was able to attach that file with the reamer dimensions.

What I find interesting is the .223 Match by PTG has a larger diameter freebore than the plain .223 Remmie reamer. Always learning new things.

I think the freebore being the diameter of the bullet would be better, though I am sure there is a reason it is somewhat larger on the other reamer. Ugghhh....my brain.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I've had the best luck with a Wylde and then you usually don't need to use a small base die. You might consider a hi-rise upper without the dust cover and forward assist (which you should NEVER use anyway) to get a better cheek weld with standard rings, especially with a large objective scope.
    Somewhere along the way I have lost the ability to act politically correct. If you should find it, please feel free to keep it.

I know a kid that can really shoot well with an all standard Armalite M4 with the peep sight, he can give you pointers...
    The emphasis is on accuracy, not power!

Quote Originally Posted by MARV1 View Post
    I know a kid that can really shoot well with an all standard Armalite M4 with the peep sight, he can give you pointers...
    Hmmm...do I know this kid?

Default yup

Quote Originally Posted by Nitroman View Post
    Hmmm...do I know this kid?
    Just a lanky kid about 4'8" and a big smile. Don't look like he can shoot but he's a natural.

When are you gonna bring one of those toys out this way again?
    The emphasis is on accuracy, not power!

You won't be disappointed I have 2 uppers from mike and they are my #1 and 2 most accurate guns