Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 30-06 vs 7mm mag

Default 30-06 vs 7mm mag

Standard question but a slight variation ..

For general Alaska hunting (moose, caribou, brown bear, black bear), if you had to chose between the '06 and the 7mm, what would you pick and why?

Sent from my HTC EVO using Tapatalk

Best intentions aside, this is thread will end up being just another Ford vs Chevy debate....

But I drive a Toyota, so I'm going to vote for the 6.5x55!
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

With brown bear on the list, neither.

For longer ranges in more open country I prefer my 7, but when I'm relatively certain shots are going to be inside 200, I like my 06 with 200 grain bullets. Just a twitch of mine, because you can certainly shoot further with an 06, especially with lighter bullets. I just happen to prefer the 7 for longer and the 06 for closer. Haven't even loaded one yet, but I have couple of boxes of Hawk 250 grainers sitting on the bench waiting for tests. Kinda curious how well that bullet might compare to a 250 from a Whelen.

Pure entertainment, and the next guy's way of doing things will be just as valid for him. I told you what's valid for me.

I have owned both and kept the 06. For me, much more choices for ammo and bullets for the 06, no belted case, and my 7MM Mag had a very long barrel that caught on every tree I got near. Only about a couple hundred fps difference in velocity on average with the same grain bullets.

No right or wrong, but for me I choose the 30-06. But hey, I have a safe full of different calibers, cause we all like variety.

Steve
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

The 06 is way ahead in my book as a hunter not shooter.The 06 with good sights and a 1.5X4 or 2X7 scope is a hard to beat hunter rig.JMHO
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

I know a lot of guys with both..field performace is pretty close and both sets of folks kill a lot of critters. I've been thinking about picking up a 7mm for giggles and something different.

In all reality though- no difference in field effectiveness so whichever floats you're boat.

Default old battle

very old battle. I own and think that the 7mm has slightly better numbers but the one thing that is hard to argue is that you can ALWAYS find 06 ammo anywhere.
    Semper Fi and God Bless

Although I am a big 7mm Mag fan and do not own a 30.06. for what you list, I would go with the 30.06. Not only is ammo readily available anywhere in the state, if not the world, you can get heavier bullets in 30 cal then you can in .284. Like stranger says, you of can't kill it with a 30.06, run.

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

The REASON, I would go along with BrownBear's PLAN, is....

That the 7 Mag. requires at least a 24 inch barrel,,,,,

And, 200 grain bullets in the 06.

With a 22" barrel, it would make for a better Bear Gun, than my 7mm Mag.

JMO, as it suits my idea of usefulness.

(I've considered an 06 to replace the 338 I had. It knocked me around too much, so I sold it.)

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

i have a 30-06 300wsm and a 300 ultra masg. love that 30cal. IDK why i just do. It has done me well for everything from small antelope out to 550yards (300wsm 110gr barns) to a massive one horned elk at 425 (168gr barns out of the 3006). Wish he had the other 7 points and few critters of other types. ie pig and deer. that being said i have yet to hunt anything in AK. I reload and would by a 7mm mag if the price was right but i cant stand the long stick so i would more then likely never hunt with it. I wonder if they make a 7mmwsm. I think i would like that round. I love them short and fat!

Hey Medic,

The 7mm WSM has been out for sometime now. Go before the domestic commander and request a purchase order.

Have fun!
    John
    Life is too important to be taken seriously.

Chinese proverb

Quote Originally Posted by JC in AK View Post
    Hey Medic,

The 7mm WSM has been out for sometime now. Go before the domestic commander and request a purchase order.

Have fun!
    John
    I wouldn't use your phrase "I like them short and fat" in front of the domestic commander either.... the 7WSM is a neat cartridge.

I own both but no short mags...the 7mm is hard to beat for sheep or any long shot...where you need a flat shooter... I'm very happy with the FN/win 30-06. I'll use it or the guide gun for thick brush/ closeer range shooting....

This is absolutely a "middle of winter" thread.

I've seen no difference in the field.... you are splitting extremely fine hairs here. I went with the '06 (actually have 3 right now) because I have a lifetime supply of brass and people keep giving me more. I also like the slightly less bark and bite and shorter barrel. But if I happened to own a 7 mag instead, I would just enjoy the slightly better long range capabilities and carry on.

Yk

I have a 35, 06, and a 7MM RUM. I would take my 7 out before the others every day. JMO. It's all to each his own. Shoot what you feel comfortable with. And Dodge wins over both Ford and Chevy. Hahaha

I've never owned a 30-06. But have had a 7mm mag since I was born(inherited it) I've also owned a 280 for a few years & loved it but wanted a varmint rifle and was short on $ so traded it for a 22-250. I also own a 7mm-08 model 7 and really love that rifle/cartridge combo. I've also had a 338 win mag. My most recent rifle I've been playing around with is a 338 federal. Like previous posters have mentioned. I like the shorter barrel length and the less recoil is nice too. However, if I wanted to be practical I would probably just own a 30-06.

Since you only mentioned 2 calibers: Between the two, and you mentioned brown bear, the 30/06 would be my choice. A 220 grain bullet is the best option that you can buy factory ammo for that would be suitable for brown bears. If you handload, then again, the 06 with a premium quality bullet.

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

In this particular comparison, the advantage for ALL game in Alaska lies with the 30-06. The 7mmRemMag is a great round and assuming both calibers were in exactly the same brand/model of rifle the 06 would have the edge. Better choice of bullets, better handling in thick alders due to shorter barrel, availablity of ammo is better, takes less powder to reload. Obviously, the .30-06 and 7mmRemMag are not the best Brownie calibers but can work if used with the appropriate bullets and within proper yardage.

i shoot a .30-06 and have since hunting started in Alaska in mid 1990's. I prefer 180 gr Nosler for basic rounds and regularly harvest game from 40-300 yards.

IMO, if you can shoot it straight and earn confidence with it, it'll be deadly regardless of whether it reads 7mm or .30-06.

We've taken some nice griz, black bear, sheep, moose, caribou, deer, and wolf over the years, and my Rem .30-06 still cleans up nicely, always a spot for it on my raft.

larrys griz1.jpgheathers griz best pose (downsized).jpg

In todays modern techno world, isn't cartridge analyzation based on ballistic charts, i.e. delivered foot pounds of energy? it should be a simple matter of checking ballistic tables to choose the "best" cartridge.
    I didn't look at any tables, but I believe that because of the higher ballistic coefficient of .284 bullets, they offer higher down range energy than a .308 bullet at comparable speed and comparable bullet weight. So if your shooting under a certain distance, the 30 ought will hit somewhat harder, but the 7 mil will be the harder hitter farther out. I also suspect that because of the greater powder capacity of the 7 mil case, it would be the flatter shooting round.
    My first rifle was a 30-06. Still like using it, but went to a 300 short mag for the extra powder and speed, and thus higher delivered energy.
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast