Thread: Back in Alaska

Default Back in Alaska

I spent four years here from 91 to 95 while in the army. My wife and I always hoped to return to live. I got an offer from ACS and with three of our 4 kids in tow here we are. I am an avid duck hunter and have fond memories of hunting some areas off of Seward Highway and the Palmer Hay Flats? I believe that is what they are called. Anyway looking to find like minded lovers of duck hunting and get involved in any local groups. I have been a member of DU and have found as much good as they do the local DU group depends greatly on who is involved and how active the chapter is. I did notice a post about some projects that some want done atthe hay flays. i would love to assist and meet some like minded lovers of all things duck related.

I have hunted whitetails before but am really interested in getting involved in the big game hunting here in this great state. i have a 10 year old boy who would love to join like minded young guys who enjoy shooting and the outdoors.

Have a safe and happy New Year!!

Locally DU is a fund raising org. There are national projects, but they do not use local resources from the local chapters to conduct local projects. Since AK is a huge swamp it does not need habitat restoration like other places in the L48. Better hunter access to more areas is needed, but that is not a DU mandate.

Read through the thread you refer to as well as the other hay flats threads and you will find that there are some issues at the hay flats for those that hunt there.

Just a few issues.............

What are your issues?

Too many people, people hunting every day of the week, never letting the ducks rest, decoys left out for days at a time "reserving" spots...........

AK Ray,
    I am pretty familiar withn the mission of DU. I was more interested in finding duck hunters in the area who have a passion for the sport like I do and introduce myself to said like minded duck nuts. Any groups or clubs that you may recommend I would be interested in joining, it would give me and my boy a place to learn the intracacies of hunting in a new location and meet new friends. i do bring significant connections to hunting the lower mississippi flyway and have an uncle who is an avid hunter in Florida more specifically Lake okachobee and some great honey holes right outside of davie fl. Nothing like a hunting trip to south florida in Mid feb. To kill some big old Mottles and Ringnecks. One prerequisite, you must enjoy Sweet Lucy but Gentleman Jack or Crown will be accepted!

I can see that as annoying as hell. One thing that reminds me of how lucky hunters in Alaska are is that in order to find good duck spots in South Carolina, where I came from, you either own a bunch of land you can flood during the season or you get lucky enough to be picked for a draw to hunt. The State of SC has some great duck hunting unfortunatly it is all privately owned or left to a lucky few a year. As i understand it that is not the case here in Alaska. I may be wrong and if so would love a lesson on how it works here in Alaska.

There was a "discussion" on the forum about leaving decoys out all night and for days at time "reserving' a spot. While it is legal to do so in Alaska many (including me) feel it is not right. I don't want to start another discussion on it as we beat that one to death, guys that do it won't stop doing it, guys that don't feel it is right, won't do it. That is pretty much how it ended.

The unlucky part about Alaska is that even though there is a lot of area to hunt, access is very limited and the few accessable spots get pounded and it is only getting worse. I don't mean to take a shot at you by any means, most of us were "new' to this area at one point or another. BTW, being "new" can mean only hunting an area 20 years, at least according to some.

Quote Originally Posted by Clemsonducknut View Post
    I can see that as annoying as hell. One thing that reminds me of how lucky hunters in Alaska are is that in order to find good duck spots in South Carolina, where I came from, you either own a bunch of land you can flood during the season or you get lucky enough to be picked for a draw to hunt. The State of SC has some great duck hunting unfortunatly it is all privately owned or left to a lucky few a year. As i understand it that is not the case here in Alaska. I may be wrong and if so would love a lesson on how it works here in Alaska.

I did hunt here 19 years ago for 4 years, so consider me a veteran of Alaska returned. I always felt a brotherhood amongst duck hunters but sad to say you have set a tone of some disontent and you really have a knack for making new duck hunters welcome. Seems as though you don't take to kindly to new hunters and that is your right. Don't really have the time or patience to listen to a ***** session or whiny hunters. Just looking for some buds to share some Sweet Lucy and a few good hunts. Looks like there is one more hunter to piss you off.

Quote Originally Posted by Clemsonducknut View Post
    I did hunt here 19 years ago for 4 years, so consider me a veteran of Alaska returned. I always felt a brotherhood amongst duck hunters but sad to say you have set a tone of some disontent and you really have a knack for making new duck hunters welcome. Seems as though you don't take to kindly to new hunters and that is your right. Don't really have the time or patience to listen to a ***** session or whiny hunters. Just looking for some buds to share some Sweet Lucy and a few good hunts. Looks like there is one more hunter to piss you off.
    I really don't care when you hunted, how long you hunted, etc....(if you read through some of the old posts you will see that one member of the board (not me) thinks it is a huge deal). We do have a very nice brotherhood that hunt the hayflats, we were all new to it at some point, I am not trying to discourage you from hunting the area. You will find some of the nicest guys you'd ever want to hunt with, I hope I am in that group when we meet. We all take care of each other out there and know that we hunt what can become dangerous areas and we do a good job of looking out for each other and helping when needed. There were a few of these occurances this past season and there seem to be some of those situations every year, guys are more than willing to take time out to go out of their way to help, that is just how it works.
    All I am saying is that things have changed out there over the last 15 years or so, but things always change. It just seems we are fitting more and more people in a relatively small area and the ducks are reacting. The biggest "controversy" out in the hay flats is guys leaving their decoys out reserving spots for days at a time, there are definately 2 trains of thought on that issue. I guess if that is our biggest problem we are way ahead of most public hunting areas.
    I am sure we will meet up at some point at the ramp or in the marsh, I will welcome you and remind you of some the dangers we face each time we hunt, and probably ask for your cell number and give you mine, just in case. As you said, we are a brotherhood, we take care of each other.

Clemsonducknut ...Like Yukon stated...and he is an avid duckhunter who knows the area very well and the ethics involved in hunting the areas we hunt. You got a little fired up before even really knowing him or any others on here. So don't take it so personal man..to easy to get involved in the local brotherhood of waterfowlers here in AK... Introducing others to the great resources this state has to offer is what most on here strive to do. I know I have..and others that I have met out there have as well. There is a lot of talk on here about alot of topics involving waterfowling. So many new guys jump on here and expect the veterns to spill out all the info right then...to provide them with all the leg work. I know this may not be you..just saying. Welcome to AK and hope we can link up out on the marsh sometime. Getting the younger generation out there is extremely important....good job and good luck this fall.

Do a search on this forum..you will find so many answers to your questions on here about hunting Alaska as well as some disputes on different topics..Bottom line...when the season starts..so does the post on here and the drama on certain topics..enjoy it...lol

Have fun
    DH01
    President of Alaska Waterfowl Assoc.
    http://akwaterfowl.com
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Alask...78020265619952
    AlaskaWaterfowlAssociation@gmail.com
    Gen.1:26
    And God said, let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth.