Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How do you store your gear?

Default How do you store your gear?

The reason I'm asking this question is that I am in between moves at the moment. I'm trying to figure out some sort of system that helps with my chronic losing/ scratching my head saying "where in the hell did I put that last." So shelves, totes, lockers? Some of you guys must have a wear house with a full staff of people for the amount of stuff you own. Just wondering if I could steal a good idea from someone, while I stare out the window looking at how cold it is outside.

Not that I have everything figured out, but I built a closet in my gun room where I hang clothes or put them on shelves between trips or use. When I go out in the canoe or 4 wheeler I pull stuff off the shelves or hangers and put them in dry bags and them wash them upon return and put them back where they were. That way I remember (usually) where I put things because I don't always take the same stuff each trip. Guns and ammo in racks and shelves and camp gear in dry bags or plastic totes, agan loaded for each trip. sleeping bags and tent are hung in the heated/ air conditioned room to air out. Boots and waders go on the floor in the closet after they are washed off and dried.

Just the way I do it....I'm still learning too.
    Somewhere along the way I have lost the ability to act politically correct. If you should find it, please feel free to keep it.

Stuffed into my garage, displacing my vehicle.

Totes, bins, boxes etc. are too tidy- just a massive pile of dissarray works best.

If I had a tidy garage the missus would just look at the empty floorspace as a space she could utilize and fill with other assorted and sundry crap that I care nothing about- like household goods.

Don't think of it as gear storage- think of it as "marking your territory" and the bigger and fluffier the pile, the better.

I will get organized one of these days, until then I get to rummage through all my stuff looking for this and that like an Easter egg hunt. LOL I even rediscover stuff I forgot I had,

I do use totes and a shelving system that works, when I'm disciplined enough to put everything back where it belongs. Making checklist for each type of hunt has really helped me.

Steve
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

sounds like you are looking for storage options while moving? that's a lot different than household storage, which hodgeman has thoroughly covered. Assuming that you will be able to put the stuff in a dry place just use cardboard boxes.

totes have generally left me disappointed and feeling ripped off. exception being action packers in certain situations, such as planes and boats, and even then only 1or 2 small ones. most totes don't keep moisture out, and they trap it in, making gear musty.

at home:

I use shelves for hardwear type gear, and an open closet system for garments, built w/ 2x4s and plywood, and the sleeping bags and tents just hang on hooks, well, nails, to keep them airy. This is all in a heated space, but unheated is not the end of the world, as long as you leave fabrics hanging rather than stuffed in a tote.

most of the time, the seasons' current gear is on a nail somewhere near the woodstove drying, or on a nail in the entryway.

There are never enough shelves or hooks to hang stuff on. No matter how hard I try.

General rules are...cooking and camp gear on one shelf/level, boating gear on another one, fishing on another, miscellaneous on another.

It takes about 3 seconds in May for these categories to merge together into hodgeman's garage. oh well. it is a never ending treasure hunt.

During moves its tough. What I did was after our last move back to Alaska I got a house with enough rooms where I could take over one! I picked the pretty one with the purple and horses The plan is to stop having kids before they invade my gear room! Unless of course I have a girl that wants the horse room...then i'm in trouble...will probably cave. Anyway, for small stuff (ie. knifes, first aid, flash lights, etc) I use the small $.99 totes and stack them on a shelf...other that that it is big totes, duffles, and piles. As for room I should be good for a while, especially since I made a deal with the wife that I couldn't buy any more lightweight gear until I lose some weight (10lbs and I get a new Golight Tipi...pretty good motivation to hit the gym!)...I'm not way over weight but that 5 years out of school at a desk sure has been tough...darn job!
    IMG_0181.jpgIMG_0182.jpg

Sounds like I'm not the only one with the problem at home. Hodgeman as much as I hate to say it, your method is what mine turns into during hunting season. During the offseason I seem to keep things in pretty decent order but, it's so hard after a hunt to come home and organize things. Things get jammed and crammed until it looks like Cabelas puked in my garage, oh well the wife gives me points for trying anyways.

Lots of rubber maid totes and some good shelves. Nothing worse than not being able to find your stuff on a last minute trip.

Yep, totes labeled well for different things helps out a ton. Makes for packing for trips MUCH faster when I know what I am looking for is limited to just a tote rather than somewhere in the house.

It's become such an issue in my house with the three kids and all their gear too. Such an issue that we are actually designing a room in my new shop like a walk-in closet so that we can hang 90% of it up. Shelves for the other gear, and a high up place to hang sleeping bags and tents.

With all the dfferant seasons and hobbies that my wife and i have it was hard to keep track of where " what was" for what season and what hobbie. We started putting the gear in clear plastic tots and label them as such. It seams to work for the most part the problem is on my behalf i have to make sure i put it in the right ben when i am ready to pack it back up. We all get a bit lazy at the end of a trip and put it off until the next day. Anyway i use the clear plastic bens from homedepo or walmart.

Sweepint
    Wasilla, (when not overseas)
    '' Livn' The Dream ''
    26' Hewescraft Cuddy, twin 115 Yam

How do you store your gear?
    Scattered about in piles and corners of a spare room. It works for me.
    Now what ?

I use totes, bags, hooks and shelves but honestly it all turns into a mess once I go on a trip and return. I am convinced if I have a bigger area I will be able to organize it and leave it organized my wife thinks thats just my excuse to buy a house with a shop. Whats wrong with that?

The way I store my gear when the wife is home is DRASTICALLY different from the way I do when she is at home. This last summer my basement looked like a gear bomb went off and stayed that way all summer. It kind of looked like one of those houses in the show about hoarders. Sure was easy to find stuff will it all laid out over the floor. Of course family had to come and force me to return to the civilized world. LOL

I tell my wife we need more room so I can get organized and she just says that I will buy more junk... I think she has me figured out.

Steve
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

It is nice to see that I am not the only one with this problem!!! After years of fighting it I went the "make more space" route. 1350 sf to be exact!! It is just nearing completion (small amount of mud/tape left) and has a heated slab so the floor dries over night when a snow packed machine is wheeled in. I will be working through the "pile" in the current 2 car garage over the rest of the winter getting it sorted out. Currently 5 wheelers, 3 sleds and a trailer have found home in the new spot for varying periods of time and it is a breath of fresh air to be able to still shift stuff around without having to pull it all outside and then stuff it back in! My plan is to install drying racks on the 10' ceiling that can be lowered and raised to facilitate post trip equipment maintenance and care. We are going with the big industrial shelving racks with totes and custom made tire, helmet and ratchet strap storage. I have given up on the cheap totes after breaking 1/2 of them every season so now we are migrating to rough totes nearly exclusively. The rough totes can be loaded and tossed into the boat easily and still survive the trip.

Once cleared out the old garage is getting a new door and a hook system to keep snow gear and seasonal outdoors wear for the family of 5 organized. I did promise the main garage to the wife as part of the shop construction waiver she gave me but admittedly I am hoping to keep our fishing stuff in there. I figure as long as the Christmas stuff leaves the various closets, our coats/winter gear have a home and she can get her car in and out she will probably be thrilled. I just hope she doesn't take up some space intensive hobbies like, painting, gardening or decide we need a home gym any time soon!

My gear room looks like a terrorist blew up a Cabela's store.

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

Quote Originally Posted by AKDoug View Post
    It's become such an issue in my house with the three kids and all their gear too. Such an issue that we are actually designing a room in my new shop like a walk-in closet so that we can hang 90% of it up. Shelves for the other gear, and a high up place to hang sleeping bags and tents.

That's exactly what I've wanted to do, but we simply don't have the room. The problem is my wife will go on cleaning bents and put stuff in totes, but I'm not present when it happens, so it'll be a year later when, aha, that's where that went. Some of the totes are in the garage, some in a storage shed.
    Those that are successful in Alaska are those who are flexible, and allow the reality of life in Alaska to shape their dreams, vs. trying to force their dreams on the reality of Alaska.

If you have a tenuous grasp of reality, Alaska is not for you.

My wife and I were cleaning out our front door closet on New Year's Day and we found a new calf high Sorel pack boot right foot in my wife's size...no left boot anywhere and we checked the whole house and my shop. It is a really nice warm boot without a mate. I am so glad it is her boot that is missing becasue I was recently told I did not take care of my stuff as well as she does.....I am so glad it was her boot!!!
    Somewhere along the way I have lost the ability to act politically correct. If you should find it, please feel free to keep it.

For shipping or home storage I use totes, or good card board boxes, I use a strip of duct tape to write on what is in the box or tote, Easy to read, and can be changed easily, you can just put another piece of tape over the old one. For shipping to and from AK I will use styrofoam lined fish boxes, stuff them full and they work great. When taped close they are almost indestructible. Lots of space to write on and easy to read. Another good box to use is the waxed cardboard boxes used for shipping frozen fish. they can be used as a box or just the top and just the bottom on a shelf to organize stuff. They last a long time.

I have an old military foot locker.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast