Thread: LED Christmas Lights

Default LED Christmas Lights

Target has a great deal on LED Christmas lights so I bought a bunch. Mostly to light my hall and bathroom at night at the lodge and the deck outside in the fall. I am hoping to get a alternate Energy system up and running this year for power 24/7 and thought the 4.8 watts per string of 60 lights 19' long would go along way to battery maintainence in the longer dark hours in Sept. Anyone use these for their off gride cabin?

Talking

It was no great deal, but I just bought some blue solar powered Christmas LEDs for the cabin. I am hoping they help when I stay out too late and come home in the dark.
    A bit of light in the wilderness.
    Live life and love it
    Love life and live it

Quote Originally Posted by bullbuster View Post
    It was no great deal, but I just bought some blue solar powered Christmas LEDs for the cabin. I am hoping they help when I stay out too late and come home in the dark.
    A bit of light in the wilderness.

I wouldn't depend on them. They still use batteries that quit working when it gets cold. I bought a solar powered light for my cabin and it works outside for awhile until it gets a certain temp. and quits.
    JOHN

We have the kind that plug into 110 AC power. We have a 12v battery bank/inverter setup for our cabin, so we can buy and use normal AC appliances and such. These lights are great, low power draw and enough light to move around and do most things except reading. Really good when friends are over and you're drinking beer and swapping stories. You don't need bright light to tell lies!

Quote Originally Posted by NRick View Post
    You don't need bright light to tell lies!
    Nope, lies are best told away from bright light!

I'm not currently off the grid, but I like them too. Helps keep the electric bill low.
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

We have the kind that plug into 110 AC power. We have a 12v battery bank/inverter setup for our cabin, so we can buy and use normal AC appliances and such. These lights are great, low power draw and enough light to move around and do most things except reading. Really good when friends are over and you're drinking beer and swapping stories. You don't need bright light to tell lies!
    How many 12v batteries do you use? Deep cycle? What size inverter?
    JOHN

We have 6 of the 6v golf cart batteries from Costco/Sam's Club (don't remember which). Have a 1200 watt Xantrex modified sine wave inverter connected to them. They get charged by a solar panel in the summer and an little Honda generator in the winter. The battery bank is on the big side for a small weekend cabin, but it allows us to run off just the batteries the whole weekend and only have to listen to the generator for a few hours at the end.

My main reason is for lights at night to move around the lodge heading to the bathroom. I have found that battery powered lanterns workgreat but many times they get left on and C and D batteries are not cheap and hard to find in the bush... Thanks for the responces.

My thinking is that they will only be in use during the last half of September when the natural light tends to go away.

Happy New Year all.

We have 6 of the 6v golf cart batteries from Costco/Sam's Club (don't remember which). Have a 1200 watt Xantrex modified sine wave inverter connected to them. They get charged by a solar panel in the summer and an little Honda generator in the winter. The battery bank is on the big side for a small weekend cabin, but it allows us to run off just the batteries the whole weekend and only have to listen to the generator for a few hours at the end.
    Interesting, I have thought about a setup like that but, I just can't get past keeping it simple. I have a EU1000 Honda generator that I use to watch movies and charge my 12v and dewalt batteries. I use oil lamps and candles. In the winter, I have a small fridge that I put block ice in.
    JOHN

George, thanks for bringing this up. My wife thanks you...

I finally got around to putting in some battery powered lighting this weekend. I put the deep cycle batt from my boat in the basement and hooked up an automotive trickle charger and a cheapy 400 watt inverter. Works like a charm and now my wife doesnt have to go outside at 25 below to start the generator to put her makeup on in the morning, lol..

By the summer I hope to have the full blown inverter/charger/batt bank system installed, but this works great for the little bit of lighting we need in the mornings and evenings until we want to start the gen. Im embarrassed that it took me so long to get it done. How many hours have I wasted fuel running a generator with nothing but lights on???

Each lights string takes .05 amps, so with 6 strings of lights, that is only 0.3 amps at 120V. That is alot of light relative to the tiny amount of power....

One thing I noticed is that the lights have a very faint flickering...like if you twirl a pencil in front of your eyes, you will notice an almost strobe light effect. I'm wondering if it is due to the cheap inverter creating clipped sine waves or if it's just the norm with those led lights...

John, I was in the same exact boat as you on wanting to keep it simple. We run about 5 gallons of gas a week in our 2000w honda and I was happy with that. But, with a 25 dollar automotive trickle charger, a 25 dollar cheapo inverter and one 12V battery you could light your cabin easily without worrying about the gen running. And when you do run the gen, you will be charging the batt. Just make sure you run the gen long enough to offset how long you run the lighting...ie, dont run the lights longer than your willing to charge the battery...

Quote Originally Posted by dkwarthog View Post
    George, thanks for bringing this up. My wife thanks you...

I finally got around to putting in some battery powered lighting this weekend. I put the deep cycle batt from my boat in the basement and hooked up an automotive trickle charger and a cheapy 400 watt inverter. Works like a charm and now my wife doesnt have to go outside at 25 below to start the generator to put her makeup on in the morning, lol..

By the summer I hope to have the full blown inverter/charger/batt bank system installed, but this works great for the little bit of lighting we need in the mornings and evenings until we want to start the gen. Im embarrassed that it took me so long to get it done. How many hours have I wasted fuel running a generator with nothing but lights on???

Each lights string takes .05 amps, so with 6 strings of lights, that is only 0.3 amps at 120V. That is alot of light relative to the tiny amount of power....

One thing I noticed is that the lights have a very faint flickering...like if you twirl a pencil in front
    of your eyes, you will notice an almost strobe light effect. I'm wondering if it is due to the cheap inverter creating clipped sine waves or if it's just the norm with those led lights...

John, I was in the same exact boat as you on wanting to keep it simple. We run about 5 gallons of gas a week in our 2000w honda and I was happy with that. But, with a 25 dollar automotive trickle charger, a 25 dollar cheapo inverter and one 12V battery you could light your cabin easily without worrying about the gen running. And when you do run the gen ok, you will be charging the batt. Just make sure you run the gen long enough to offset how long you run the lighting...ie, dont run the lights longer than your willing to charge the battery...
    I also have a 400w inverter hooked to my 12v to charge my cellphone, aircraft transceiver and watch tv. My tv is an older 10in. that is ac/dc. I run my generator maybe, about 2-6 hrs. at the most. I buy lamp oil at Walmart for $6.88 for a 64 oz. which lasts quite a long time. I buy 6 bottles at a time.
    JOHN

Sounds like you already have a system capable of running a small led light load in addition to your other charging requirements.

I ran those oil lamps for a long time in my old cabin before the invention of the Eu2000. Hated them...dim, smoky, borderline dangerous...I dont like candles either, lol, I go around blowing them out as fast as my wife lights them...

Sounds like you already have a system capable of running a small led light load in addition to your other charging requirements.

I ran those oil lamps for a long time in my old cabin before the invention of the Eu2000. Hated them...dim, smoky, borderline dangerous...I dont like candles either, lol, I go around blowing them out as fast as my wife lights them...
    The lamp oil I buy is smokeless, if you use Aladdin lamps which have a mantle, they are very bright. Also, if you use regular oil lamps with frosted globes, they are brighter than the clear ones. It works for me. Besides, I really don't care for bright lights to much.
    JOHN

Ahh...the ones I had were the wicks not mantles....There was a couple of times where I had a close call knocking one off the table or knocking the globe off. Wagging dog tails know not what they do, lol...

Ahh...the ones I had were the wicks not mantles....There was a couple of times where I had a close call knocking one off the table or knocking the globe off. Wagging dog tails know not what they do, lol...
    I put mine where they can't be knocked off because, I myself can be clumsy. That comes with old age.
    JOHN

They make wall mounts to hold them. Good tip on the frosted globe. I have 4 or 5 and use diesel but pulled them out of the lodge and went to battery lanterns for clients for safety sake. If you trim the wick correctly you can do away with most of the smoke. I also trim mine to a rounded peak to get a better flame/light. I love the glow just for a romantic ambiance (sp).

Happy New Year and be safe.

Quote Originally Posted by George Riddle View Post
    They make wall mounts to hold them. Good tip on the frosted globe. I have 4 or 5 and use diesel but pulled them out of the lodge and went to battery lanterns for clients for safety sake. If you trim the wick correctly you can do away with most of the smoke. I also trim mine to a rounded peak to get a better flame/light. I love the glow just for a romantic ambiance (sp).

Happy New Year and be safe.
    Happy New Year, George.
    JOHN

This really seems to be a great idea to post wit regards to the energy efficeint bulbs and lights the so it will be a great way to get in the most conservative strategies for energy efficiency...