Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Help me decide on which 30-06!

Default Which 30-06? Help me decide...

Alrightie...my safe is telling me I need a 30-06...and its time for a nice, blued, wood stock gun.

Seems to be a very flexible caliber from what I have read, researched...many options for bullet weights, very flexible for big game hunting,etc. Alright, enough convincing...the 3 I have narrowed my choice down to are such...

1 - Winchester Mod 70 Super Grade
    2 - Remington 700 CDL
    3 - Weatherby Mark V Deluxe

Any and all thoughts and input is appreciated!!!
    Psalm 18:34
    He trains my hands for war, so that my arms can bend a bow of bronze.

I would go with the Model 70. Winchesters coming out of the factory right now are some of the best made factory rifles hitting the market currently.

Just go and check prices on used rifles in your 3 choices and you will see that the Model 70 holds it value better.

Good luck and Happy New Year!!

Steve
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

I've got a new Mod 70 ss, I like it.

Any of the 3 on your list would be nice rifles.............

But to really know what fits you best...................buy all 3, sell the 2 least favorites.........

HAPPY NEW YEAR
    "The older I get, the better I was."

If you do enough big game hunting in Alaska, it won't be a nice, blued, wood stocked gun for long.

+1 on the Winchester. Particularly comparing the Super Grade to the CDL, I would say it is a much nicer gun. Have you looked at the Kimbers? I would put them on par with the Winchesters. The Weatherby just doesn't do anything for me.

Savage has really come a long ways too. The Model 114 Classic in 30-06 would be a winner too. My uncle swears by his. He loves the AccuTrigger. Can't go wrong with the Model 70 though.

AZinAK

pick around and find yourself a nice custom rifle with a 98 mauser action and a fluted barrel, and then find a nice lightweight synthetic stock and mount a leopold or a nikon scope on her! better yet build it yourself....probly save some money and youll have the satisfaction of knowing what your gun is made of....

Release Lake Trout

Quote Originally Posted by travelers View Post
    I've got a new Mod 70 ss, I like it.

Any of the 3 on your list would be nice rifles.............

But to really know what fits you best...................buy all 3, sell the 2 least favorites.........

HAPPY NEW YEAR
    Or you could buy all 3 and 'give' your least 2 favorites to me!

I think all three are very good rifles. I have a weatherby mark V in 300 win-mag and I love it. Of course mine has a synthetic stock and stainless barrel. The only 'wood' stocked 30.06 I own is a browning BAR and it's a nice rifle for an auto. I'd go with the 2Ws. Either the winchester or the weatherby.

Quote Originally Posted by stick+string View Post
    If you do enough big game hunting in Alaska, it won't be a nice, blued, wood stocked gun for long.
    Yep! Think stainless and synthetic for the weather conditions up there.

Quote Originally Posted by stick+string View Post
    I disagree. I only own 1 synthetic/stainless rifle. Under certain conditions and on certain hunts, it is the only rifle I will take. That said, my blued/walnut rifles still look very good. I've hunted with them all over the state. I'm currently in the process of building a new one which will also be blued/walnut. A little basic care goes a long way. My dad taught me how to take care of my guns when I was a kid, and I've got some that I've had for almost 30 years now that still look new except for where the bluing is worn from me carrying them.

Of the 3 rifles the OP mentioned, I'd go with the Model 70. I would say that he should also take a look at CZ, though.
    We are right to take alarm at the first experiment upon our liberties.
    James Madison

Folks just want to say that Jason has MANY Alaska hunts under his belt and knows what it takes to get it done. I believe he just WANTS a nice rifle to add to his collection.

Happy New Year J

Steve
    Founding Member

thanks Stid--you are a kind man!

Yes indeed...I just want to add a nice rifle to the safe.

I have a few stainless synthetic rifles but I don't own a nice 30-06...I was thinking for those CO rocky mountain, wall tent elk hunts...just a good old classic

Quote Originally Posted by stid2677 View Post
    Folks just want to say that Jason has MANY Alaska hunts under his belt and knows what it takes to get it done. I believe he just WANTS a nice rifle to add to his collection.

Happy New Year J

Steve
    With his sheep avatar and hunting stories, I figured it was a bench/looker rifle. Anyone that is a sheep hunter knows whats good and bad to take into the wilds up here. Good luck Jason on finding your New Years beauty...

AZinAK

Of the three you mentioned, the Winchester Super Grade is by far what I'd pick.

Don't ignore the Montana 99 either- they're building entire rifles now and are on par with the M70.

Hey Stid - i shot you a PM...my PC was acting kinda wierd...lemme know you got it.

Keep the inputs coming gents...

Negative on the PM J.

I just traded the LAST Remington 700 I will ever own for a Pre-64 Model 70 30-06, somethings jut never go out of style!!!

Steve
    Founding Member

Stid - PM resent. I am heading out back to get some wood together for tonight's bonfire---Will check back in a bit.

Then its deer (if that's what you call them in FL) hunting locally Sunday and Monday. Small critters down here!

Stid always has good info... While I agree on the Winny, just bought one this last year in .325WSM (sporter IIRC), I still have a love for the older Rem 700's. Probably has to do with the fact that I could never afford a Winchester when i was a kid (like Stid says, even used they ain't cheep). At one point I had thought about getting an R5 and rebarreling to .30-06. But, I'm thinking you'll still go Winny, so... Go with the SUPER GRADE! those are some beautiful guns!

My .06 is a Ruger M77RSP Mark ll synthetic stock and stainless barrel.

I'm not a fan of the safety on a model 70. I was given one as a gift and found it was way too easy to bump the safety to the fire position. I slipped on some rocks in a dry creek bed and fell on that rifle and broke it beyond repair. Bought the Ruger and never looked back. It's a great gun for shooting offhand. I love the balance. And mine at least is super accurate. Best factory load I've found for my particular gun is Federal Premiums in the 165 gr. Sierra Gameking BTSP. I use that load on deer, elk and moose. And I chose the synthetic recessed stock and stainless combination because I do a lot of hunting for deer where I'm boating in salt water.

http://www.gunreports.com/gow/long_g...II_2179-1.html
    An opinion should be the result of thought, not a substitute for it.
    - Jef Mallett

Winchester Model 70 in the stainless is the first choice! If you get lucky and can find one, pick up one of the old featherweights with the light colored stocks in stainless! Look awesome and shoot like a dream! Rems are Rems, and the Montana may be a little spendy for what you get in performance!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast