Thread: 1in12 Twist Weatherby 257-A Mistake?

Default 1in12 Twist Weatherby 257-A Mistake?

Interested in an older Weatherby that has the original twist rate. My 1973 Hornady manual says it will stabilize everything up to the 120gr HP. This info any good? Recently I've read where 1/10 isn't fast enough. With the longer bullets these days probably looking at very limited choices. Anybody have one of these or similar issues?

Been a long time ago, but Hornady was a little over-optimistic about their claims with their 120. Yeah, it grouped "decent" at 100 yards, but as range stretched and velocity dropped, group size went south quick. An inch or so at 100 yards didn't translate into 4" or so at 400. It was more like 8-10" at best at 400. It didn't even like 115's or 117's of any make. It was a real ripsnorter with 100's and killed deer emphatically to as far as I ever tried, which was almost 500 yards.

Subsequent experience with a 1:10 eliminated all that, and it was a tack driver even at long range where I wanted to use it. I didn't end up using the Hornady 120's much, preferring the 115 Partition. But that rifle even did well with the old Barnes 125's.

I had no experience with longer mono-bullets, because they simply weren't around while I owned it. My instinct is that if you're set on using them, yeah, you'd want 1:9 at least, or 1:8 to play it safe. While I was at it I'd give serious thought to the throating, and OAL, making sure you could seat the bullet out far enough not to interfere with powder capacity. Standard OAL is likely to cost you velocity.

BUT!!!! That old rifle is likely a dandy, and still very worthy with 100's or anything else shorter than conventional 115 or 117's. If the price was right I'd still pick it up and be happy within it's limits. It won't let you down, and is more likely to impress you in spite of the lighter bullets.

BrownBear, was hoping you might chime in on my problem. Late last night I was sifting through threads here and noticed your 257Roy affliction. Back in the early 90's I had one made out of a 700BDL. Had a stainless Shilen 26"barrel and a 3-12 signature on it. The best shooting gun I ever owned.

Out scouting for deer along the Missourri River in South Dakota I had quite a day. Saw ten coyotes that day, shot at 8 and killed 7. Rolled one dog approx. 450 angling away to my right. He popped out of the grass beside my Jeep, disappeared into the ravines above the river which was down below me. I knew he would come out on the river bank so I put the bi-pod down and waited. Eventually he came out running, not full-bore but still getting out there. Swung ahead of him and held about a foot high and let one go. That barrel was pretty heavy(light recoil) and didn't lose sight of him go head over heels. I've missed shots like that plenty of times, but that was just a lucky day. Sorry getting off topic here.

Anyway, was short on money one winter and sold that gun. I have regretted it ever since and decided this winter to try and replace it. I have a 700varmint in 25-06 that was going to be re-chambered. The barrel is only 23" and thought it might end up too short. So I've been looking around and found that older gun.

I've never owned a Wby in 257 and the quality of newer manufactured guns concerns me. But it sounds like that Accumark of yours is a shooter. They are hard to find right now unless your'e a lefty. My choice would come down to that mauser-action or the Accumark.
    Both are pricey.

Anyone have a Wby with the FN Mauser action?

I bet it wil shoot those 110gr accubonds pretty darn good!

Mine loves the accu bond 110s.
    Paul

I assume that has a 1/10 tube?

Mine has a 26" Lillja 10 twist, and it will stabilize everything that I've tried except a 115grn TSX (longer than a 120grn NP or A-Frame). However, my "go to" load is with 100grn TSX's...I've taken four black bear with that 100 grainer with no problems (three dropped in their tracks). If your 12 twist will stabilize the 100grn TSX, you're good to go...hopefully, but TSX's are longer than their same weight counterparts so maybe not.

Quote Originally Posted by Doc View Post
    Mine has a 26" Lillja 10 twist, and it will stabilize everything that I've tried except a 115grn TSX (longer than a 120grn NP or A-Frame). However, my "go to" load is with 100grn TSX's...I've taken four black bear with that 100 grainer with no problems (three dropped in their tracks). If your 12 twist will stabilize the 100grn TSX, you're good to go...hopefully, but TSX's are longer than their same weight counterparts so maybe not.
    That's great feedback on the 1:10. Never tried TSX and probably never will, but guys who like them should take note if they're aiming to use the 115's.

Ya, thanks for all of your responses. Is there a downside to too much twist? Sounds like 1:9.5 might be optimum, but does this affect the shorter bullets adversely?

I've had my MarkV for 30 years. It still surprises me. If I were looking for a modestly priced 257wby now I'd look seriously at the Wby Vanguard Sub-MOA.

the older 257 were made for the 117gr Hornady round nose or 100gr Nosler or 100gr Norma bullets.......

I have a Accumark with a Faster Twist and a 26" barrel......but still seems to prefer the 115gr Nosler P or 100Gr Pills.
    Alaska

Quote Originally Posted by 257wby View Post
    I've had my MarkV for 30 years. It still surprises me. If I were looking for a modestly priced 257wby now I'd look seriously at the Wby Vanguard Sub-MOA.
    There's the answer! They shoot, are not expensive at all, and kill just as well as one with a 26" barrel.

Ted

Just bought a brand new Remington 700 CDL SF 1-10"twist 26" barrel. no reports on shooting yet, I have some stock and bedding work to do first. $950 delivered in anchorage and easy enough to customize. Not that I would steer anyone away from a Weatherby. The newer vangaurd II has a MOA gaurantee but is not in the true essence of a weatherby as it still a 2 lug bolt and fust doesnt feel majestic, but you get what you pay for and I pay for what I can afford. You can pick it up new, stainless for around $600, I got a quote this winter but cant remember exact price.