Thread: How to make a fox tail scarf?

Default How to make a fox tail scarf?

My wife saw a fox tail scarf and now she wants one as well. She said that the scarf was made from two tails sewn together at the bases. One tail had a slit so that the the other could be pulled through holding it on to the neck. Do you think the tails were split and sewn back together? Or can the tail bone be popped out and the fur cured from the inside? I want to make this a winter project so I am open to advice. Thanks.

Don't know if this will help, but...Most of the trapping supply places have an item called a tail stipper, this will help get the bone out. I used to use one on racoons, way back- saves spiltting the tail all the way down. As far as the scarf goes, I looked at some pictures and I'll just say- good luck!

I just strip fox tails off the bone using a clothespin. I cut (split) all tails prior to tanning. Makes it much easier to work them after pulling them out cuz you can scrape the entire flat skin side. They typically though will resume their shape to where you hold them up and all you see is the fur like it was never slit. So it may be you don't even have to sew them back together. Actually a tail scarf is pretty simple project. You can also use a bolo sewed onto the ends to snug it tight after wrapping around the neck. Good use for fox tails, good luck!

I like the idea as well! We have a pile of fox already this winter. Most will go to hats. I understand fox gloves don't work well, as thier hide is too thin. But the tails for scarves! What a great idea. There is such a small amount to tan, is it even worth sending the tails in, Bushrat? Could just home tan them, I would think. My wife is getting ready to start making hats and gloves. Any tips for getting started? We skin the tails as far as we can, then strip the bone. We didn't last year, and got them tanned with the bone in, but now we are stuck with the bone in, since it seems impossible to remove after tanning. Live and learn!

Claude
    Experience Real Alaska! www.alpinecreeklodge.com

Fox is really easy to tan, Claude. If you want to cut the tails off before sending them in, just soak them for 24 hours in some dish soap and water (soap tanning), doesn't have to be super strong solution, about four times what you'd use for doing dishes, pull them out and work them as they dry, they should soften up real good, then when they are dry you oil the skin side with any kind of leather grease, mink oil etc. But if you strip the tail before sending to Moyle's I don't think they charge any extra for the process and it will come back tanned too. I have never heard of tanning a tail with the bone in, you need to have the skin side exposed to the solution and to work afterward, so anything you got back with bone in I doubt the tail is really tanned.

Would get the Secrets of Eskimo Skin Sewing book by Edna Wilder if you don't already have a copy, it has templates for making your own patterns for various things. Also you can buy patterns from most all fur and leather shops for mitts, hats etc.