Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: to build a fire

Default to build a fire

Supporting Member

Great story and sure to give one chills up the spine at the end.

Shouldn't they just call them "afro-mounds" instead of ******heads?

Here's another of my favorite Jack London stories called Lost Face, I believe written in 1910 but obviously about a time much earlier than that.

http://www.readbookonline.net/readOnLine/1445/

I was just thinking of this and was going to post a new thread. Started to look around first and here one (kinda) already is. Hi Jim...!!!

Actually I was wondering how many here have actually gone out and either tried to, or built a fire, using anything other than a lighter or matches? I have a real neat fire starter that consists of a flint and some magnesium. Have had it for years and it never leaves my pack, but I've never actually tried to build a fire with it. I was just thinking now, with all this snow on the ground, wouldn't be a bad idea to give it a go. Lets hear your non-match/lighter fire starter successes or non-successes. I'm going to go out and give it a try and will report back.

Quote Originally Posted by 4merguide View Post
    ...Actually I was wondering how many here have actually gone out and either tried to, or built a fire, using anything other than a lighter or matches?...
    I've built one with a Fusee does that count?
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and donít have one, youíll probably never need one again

Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!

I was just thinking of this and was going to post a new thread. Started to look around first and here one (kinda) already is. Hi Jim...!!!

Actually I was wondering how many here have actually gone out and either tried to, or built a fire, using anything other than a lighter or matches? I have a real neat fire starter that consists of a flint and some magnesium. Have had it for years and it never leaves my pack, but I've never actually tried to build a fire with it. I was just thinking now, with all this snow on the ground, wouldn't be a bad idea to give it a go. Lets hear your non-match/lighter fire starter successes or non-successes. I'm going to go out and give it a try and will report back.
    Many times. I've used mag bars in survival school as well as in training and on camping trips. I've also started many fires using a fire piston...not because of not having matches with me, I just think it's such a cool deal.

Well it took me a long time but I finally got one going. Darned near used up all my flint though. I think if I was in a "need" to situation, I probably would make a bigger pile of magnesium to start with. As the main problem was getting the flint to hit that small little pile. Once it did of course it took off and I had my tinder right there.

Quote Originally Posted by Snyd View Post
    I've built one with a Fusee does that count?
    Oh btw.....what's a "Fusee"...???

I hunt South East a lot, from a boat or hiking the road system, whenever I stop and let a friend do the scouting, I start a fire using my striker and magnesium stick, the more you do it the easier it gets, raining, snowing, windy, does not make a difference, I build a fire. I always have a mag stick in my coat, one in my pack, and I have one in my lifejacket that I always wear. I get new ones every couple years to keep them easy to use. I get mine at sports shows 3 for about $30.00. Always have extras in camp to give to anyone that wants one. Don't leave home without one.

Reading through "To Build a Fire" is ritual in my Outdoor Ed. class. There is no story like it, and you can tell that London was basing it upon actual events he knew about.

Quote Originally Posted by sayak View Post
    Reading through "To Build a Fire" is ritual in my Outdoor Ed. class. There is no story like it, and you can tell that London was basing it upon actual events he knew about.
    Indeed....that is a great read...!!!

Oh btw.....what's a "Fusee"...???
    http://www.fusee-flare.com/html_en/fusee.htm

A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and donít have one, youíll probably never need one again

What??? you guys arent using the bow string method anymore? what about the steelwool and battery, or the char paper, knife and flint...I got to get one of these magnesium do hickies....seems to make it alot easier...lol

Good stuff on here..

Thanks
    President of Alaska Waterfowl Assoc.
    http://akwaterfowl.com
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Alask...78020265619952
    AlaskaWaterfowlAssociation@gmail.com
    Gen.1:26
    And God said, let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth.

That'l do the job for sure......lol

Quote Originally Posted by gerberman View Post
    I hunt South East a lot, from a boat or hiking the road system, whenever I stop and let a friend do the scouting, I start a fire using my striker and magnesium stick, the more you do it the easier it gets, raining, snowing, windy, does not make a difference, I build a fire. I always have a mag stick in my coat, one in my pack, and I have one in my lifejacket that I always wear. I get new ones every couple years to keep them easy to use. I get mine at sports shows 3 for about $30.00. Always have extras in camp to give to anyone that wants one. Don't leave home without one.
    What do you use for a striker...???

I have actually had hunters get mad at me for starting fires with white gas and a lighter and I used to think is was funny cause they would try and try with their flint and couldnt get it going and I just dump a splash and instant fire...

I do also have a mag stick...they work well

I usually carry a mini bic lighter on my person in case i lose the pack.

And in my pack is a couple other ways to start a fire. I have newspaper cut up into squares and some matches in a quart sized baggy for one way and in my emergency waterproof container I have some esbit pieces for fire starter and waterproof or stormproof matches.

Its probably overkill but thats ok.

Heck with flint or friction! Here's how you start a fire...

http://www.flameengineering.com/Red_...e_Torch_K.html

Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!

I like a small propane soldiering torch with MAPP gas cylinder. Hot and fast if and when the need arises

Chris

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast