Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: defective safeties on Marlins?

Default defective safeties on Marlins?

I am considering purchasing a Marlin lever-action (.450 or .45-70) for defense when hiking in bear country. I've heard that the newer Marlins have problems with bad metal in the crossblock safeties, with the result being that the safety mechanism can break easily.

Does anyone have information on this?

Thanks.

Default Safeties

If you are in anchorage you can get a strong replacement part for the marlins at wild west guns.

I picked one up last week, but haven't changed it out yet.

kingfisherktn

Default research

I would do a thorough web search about it first before believing a story about anything.

It may be true or maybe someone was dry firing 1,000 times with the crossbolt engaged.

In that case I would ask what did they expect to be different?

It saved a discharge 1,000 times.....like a car hitting a tree 1,001 times and not killing the radiator for 1,000 times......I would say job well done.

Nothing lasts forever....physics....everything has a lifecycle.

For every action there is an equal and opposite reaction.

jedi

Default mine is fine

I have a 45-70 for the same reason you mentioned (get a rifle holster if you buy the rifle) (ie it's a brand name sling that allows you to have a hands free sling, but a quick release). Anyway My Marlin seems fine. I can only say that my safety works, both of em. I mean you have the hammer safety and a regular safety by the trigger. I am by no means an expert....as you can tell from the sentence right before this one, but my gun is fine.

Kingfisher - you mentioned that WW Guns has strong replacements- have you heard anything specific about the original parts breaking?

Default parts

Nothing specific, just word of mouth and was recommended that I go talk to WWG about it and did. After seeing the original part and their manufactured part I made a purchase.

kingfisherktn

I don't understand your problem. Until Marlin brought out the 1895SS none of them had the kind of safety you are describing. It must be that people today have forgotten how to safely carry a firearm? For most hunting situations you really don't need to carry a repeating rifle with one up the spout. You can go to marlinowners.com or to levergunluvers.com and check out their forums to find out if there is a problem. Jim

Default pandora's box

Quote Originally Posted by bustedknee View Post
    I think if an accident happens you probably will be sued and jailed with a 99.99% probability with todays SH lawyers.

JMHO

jedi

Default Marlin .45-70

I agree with jdb3. I have a Marlin 1895 .45-70 I bought in 1976 that has no safety. I carried it and shot many hundreds of rounds through it. I bought a Guide Gun in .45-70 and don't worry about that stupid safety. Carry the gun right and there will never be an issue, as was the case for generations. I do NOT agree with these safeties on lever guns, nor do I want a handgun with a danged "lock" on it. Makes it useless for self-defense........... Pretty stupid, but the anti's and lawyers prevailed on this issue.
    Now just why in the hell do I have to press "1" for English???

I agree with the guys that say it's the stupidest thing ever invented! I own two of the Guide Guns and and took out the cross bolt safetys on both of them. It's got the hammer safety, which has worked on firearms for over a hundred years. Was out in the woods a couple years ago and ran into a pissed off sow, jacked a round into the chamber and decided it was "go time". I pulled the trigger and..... click! I don't know if she was just playing with me or what, but she just charged past me, sending me flying off the trail. She went up the trail aways to thrash some alders and I went the other way to change my shorts and modify the "safety" on my GG!! I guess I should point out that I never put the cross bolt safety on, when being carried on a sling, bumping against your pack can force it over with out you knowing it. This is what got me into trouble, I grew up packing around Model 71 Winchesters. Nothing in the chamber, hammer at half cocked. If you need it, it takes half a second to crank one in. But with the GG, there's the potential for a couple extra seconds spent screwing with that safety!!! Bears move fast, who decides how reliable your gun is, you or the lawyers?

Default Marlin safety

Never heard of one breaking. That safety is a needless pain in the butt. None of my other old lever guns had or have one. I consider it a design flaw. Mine was removed right after I got the gun. I do not worry about being sued because I am not a reckless person and that gun won't go off unless I chamber a round and pull the trigger. We live in an uninformed and paranoid world. I am so sick of lawyers having so much influence in this world. You can thank them for safties on lever action rifles. I feel like I need a drink.

Default "safeties"

I agree that the cross bolt safety is a stupid idea and the result of liability concerns. The 1/2 cock safety worked fine for 100 yrs. I took my son to the hunter ed class last year and they teach that old lever guns w/o the cross bolt safety "don't have a safety." I kept my mouth shut, but it kind of pissed me off.

Default safety

Quote Originally Posted by walk-in View Post
    I agree that the cross bolt safety is a stupid idea and the result of liability concerns. The 1/2 cock safety worked fine for 100 yrs. I took my son to the hunter ed class last year and they teach that old lever guns w/o the cross bolt safety "don't have a safety." I kept my mouth shut, but it kind of pissed me off.

Yeah, I was always taught that every gun had a "safety".

It was between your ears

I agree that a Safety on a lever is retarded....just like those wrench turn thingys on remington bolts are retarded too.

They look like crap!!

Modify something called a "safety" and then have an accident and even if the accident was by someone who was a moron and picked up your rifle without permission and used it (like a theif) and todays skumbag lawyers will have almost a %99.99 chance to ruin your life.

jedi
    Last edited by null20071; 03-30-2007 at 00:28.

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

Default Lever Safety

Don't those Marlins have the additional safety, in the the lever has to be closed all the way to fire, or is that just the Win. 94s?
    Smitty of the North

Default jacking rounds out of the marlin

The only reason I can see for having that safety on the marlin is to prevent an accidential discharge during the unloading process, which I know for a fact has occurred on the 30-30 win. Accidently touching the trigger while cycling rounds out is a possible way to inadvertently fire the weapon. That's the only time I put my safety on my marlin is during unloading.
    Last edited by Bear Buster; 03-30-2007 at 08:27. Reason: add info

Bear Buster, If you will put your finger on the loading port and push it down the next round will come out so you can unload your rifle without running the rounds through the actions.

And yes Smitty the Marlin has the same feature as the Winchester. Jim

On my LTD IV I have a thingy that does away with the saftey. Locks like 2 screws. It was ugly and was wondering if I may bump it on when carrying it. I don't give a **** about Marlin or there Lawyers.

Default Try this.

I have an o-ring installed on my crossbolt safety, dont remember what size, but I went through the box until I found one that fit in the groove. Only took one hammer drop on the crossbolt to fix the problem, he almost got away!

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

jdb3:
    Thanks, I was pretty sure it did, having sighted in a Marlin for a friend awhile back. I found the cross bolt safety to be a PIA myself, however, I think there is a valid reason for it.

I read somewhere that a common accident occurs when hunters carry their Lever Action Rifle with a round in the chamber and use the hammer notch safety. Then they commence to climb or crawl up a hill, and drop the rifle on the way up, which slides down butt first, the hammer hitting a rock or something, breaking off the notch in the hammer, and firing the rifle, hitting the hunter, somewhere in his glorious body.

You cawn't blame Marlin, if that happens cuz they supplied a safety that should prevent it, providing it doesn't break too.

Smitty of the North

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast