Thread: How about a .480 Ruger Redhawk?

Default How about a .480 Ruger Redhawk?

While waiting for my .45 Redhawk to come back and shopping around for a .454 SRH for a donor cylinder I keep running across a lot of .480 Ruger SRHs for sale at somewhat reasonable prices.

So the obvious thought comes to mind: How about a Redhawk in .480 Ruger? It would involve a barrel rebore but one could start with a cheaper .44 Mag instead of a .45 Colt required for a .454 conversion. One could also use a 5.5" barrel if desired in instead of the 4.2" 45 Colt. I'm also assumming the 6 shot .480 cylinders are still avaliable or you could probably get a 5 shot conversion for a 6 shot .480 SRH that should inprove its value slightly.

I know there are some high dollar Bowen conversion of the Redhawk but this could be an affordable gun if the barrel rebore isn't too bad. I looked on the internet for some info but couldn't find anyone that had done the conversion - I'm sure they are out there somewhere.

Anybody got any info or thoughts on this?
    Living the urban lifestyle so I can pay my way and for my family's needs, and support my country. And you?
    ".. ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country" JFK

Not that it wouldn't make a nice gun, but wouldn't you be into that one for way more money than your .454 conversion? Besides the re-bore, you're still going to have to come up with a .480 SRH for a donor cylinder and those are lot harder to find and bring a premium. And if you do go 5 shot cylinder route you're going to be into a lot of smith work for fitting it.

After reading his book, I understand why Bowen gets the money he does for even his most basic conversions. There is a lot of work involved in those things. He describes in detail all the issues and difficulties involved in changing calibers in a Redhawk.

Just call Gary at Arctic Gunworks here in Fairbanks. He's got one ready to go for you. He's got a 4" Bowen Redhawk custom 5 shot 475 Linebaugh, new (and one in 50 AE). I've held it in my hands. I think it's a little over 2 grand. I opened and closed the crane and cocked the hammer. Tight, tight gun. I didn't dare dry fire it with Gary watchin over me. I did slightly start to pull the trigger in DA. That thing is a smooth as silk. I was surprised to see them there. He said Hamilton is a friend of his and he is one of very few that stock a couple of his guns. Of course the action is totally reworked for the 5 shot, longer firing pin, trigger job, etc. Bowen custom sights. The full meal deal.

BTW: there's a SRH 454 on alaskaslist.com in Wasilla for 650.
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and donít have one, youíll probably never need one again

http://alaskaslist.com/1/posts/9_Gen...dhawk_480.html

I think this might be what you are looking for. Sure seems like a nice handgun to me.

Default Too much for me!

Thanks but two grand is more than twice what I want to pay! I'm sure the Bowen conversions are very nice BUT they are still a Ruger Redhawk which I view as a cheaper utility gun. Heck - and I'm cheap myself.

I will have to stop by Arctic Gunworks next time I'm in Fairbanks and have some time to kill. I'll love to check them out - I don't recall seeing one of his conversions.

I read a few threads about the longer firing pin issue - quite a bit of discussion about the firing pin length, hammer nose shaving, transfer bar lenghts etc. I guess I'll see how my Redhawk fires and go from there on the firing pin thing.

Thanks for the lead on the SRH. There is the Wasilia High School gun show next month and I'll see what shows up there first since I'm in no hurry. It would also be nice to get the gun back from Ruger and see if it is worth sinking more money into - so far I've been very disappointed in what I got for what I paid. Hopefully Ruger will make it right.

Quote Originally Posted by Snyd View Post
    Just call Gary at Arctic Gunworks here in Fairbanks. He's got one ready to go for you. He's got a 4" Bowen Redhawk custom 5 shot 475 Linebaugh, new (and one in 50 AE). I've held it in my hands. I think it's a little over 2 grand. I opened and closed the crane and cocked the hammer. Tight, tight gun. I didn't dare dry fire it with Gary watchin over me. I did slightly start to pull the trigger in DA. That thing is a smooth as silk. I was surprised to see them there. He said Hamilton is a friend of his and he is one of very few that stock a couple of his guns. Of course the action is totally reworked for the 5 shot, longer firing pin, trigger job, etc. Bowen custom sights. The full meal deal.

BTW: there's a SRH 454 on alaskaslist.com in Wasilla for 650.
    Living the urban lifestyle so I can pay my way and for my family's needs, and support my country. And you?
    ".. ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country" JFK

Its a shame he won't build up a better quaility and class gun like S&W to anything more than standard 45colt loads
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

Quote Originally Posted by tvfinak View Post
    Thanks but two grand is more than twice what I want to pay! I'm sure the Bowen conversions are very nice BUT they are still a Ruger Redhawk which I view as a cheaper utility gun. Heck - and I'm cheap myself.

I will have to stop by Arctic Gunworks next time I'm in Fairbanks and have some time to kill. I'll love to check them out - I don't recall seeing one of his conversions.

I read a few threads about the longer firing pin issue - quite a bit of discussion about the firing pin length, hammer nose shaving, transfer bar lenghts etc. I guess I'll see how my Redhawk fires and go from there on the firing pin thing.

Thanks for the lead on the SRH. There is the Wasilia High School gun show next month and I'll see what shows up there first since I'm in no hurry. It would also be nice to get the gun back from Ruger and see if it is worth sinking more money into - so far I've been very disappointed in what I got for what I paid. Hopefully Ruger will make it right.
    Ya I hear ya, too much for me too. Not to mention the recoil from that 475 would be brutal. From what I understand regarding firing pin protrusion on the Redhawks is that it used to be an issue. The newer guns have longer pins. I can confirm that on mine. Plenty of protrusion, I've measured it. It is an inertia system and the pin actually travels further during firing than it does when one is measuring it. With 45 Colts mine fires 100% of the time in SA and 100% of the time DA with CCI 300's and 350's. With the 454's CCI 450's I have light primer strikes shooting DA. SA no prob. CCI's have hard cups and DA doesn't have as much hammer travel so not as much force hits the firing pin. I've switched to Federal 205 SR primers for the 454. No probs. Last time out I shot 100rnds DA with 100% bang. I've also smoothed things up and shaved .020 off the hammer face.

Give me a heads up next time your headed to Fairbanks.
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and donít have one, youíll probably never need one again

Snyd when you say hammer face you do mean the lip at the top of the hammer that contacts the frame right?
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

Quote Originally Posted by Amigo Will View Post
    Snyd when you say hammer face you do mean the lip at the top of the hammer that contacts the frame right?
    Yes, but you have to maintain the proper angle and not take off too much or the hammer will end up trapping the transfer bar in the up position after you shoot and let off the trigger.

Default Modifing the hammer etc.

Some people also extend the transfer bar to get better ignition - the new ones are shorter than the old ones. Maybe a good idea to extend the bar if you do much to the hammer.

You may also need to deepen the recess in the hammer that goes over the firing pin in the rest condition so the there is plenty of clearance.

Picked up this information on the forums - i didn't want to mess with my gun before i sent it back to Ruger.

Yes, but you have to maintain the proper angle and not take off too much or the hammer will end up trapping the transfer bar in the up position after you shoot and let off the trigger.

Quote Originally Posted by tvfinak View Post
    While waiting for my .45 Redhawk to come back and shopping around for a .454 SRH for a donor cylinder I keep running across a lot of .480 Ruger SRHs for sale at somewhat reasonable prices.

So the obvious thought comes to mind: How about a Redhawk in .480 Ruger? It would involve a barrel rebore but one could start with a cheaper .44 Mag instead of a .45 Colt required for a .454 conversion. One could also use a 5.5" barrel if desired in instead of the 4.2" 45 Colt. I'm also assumming the 6 shot .480 cylinders are still avaliable or you could probably get a 5 shot conversion for a 6 shot .480 SRH that should inprove its value slightly.

I know there are some high dollar Bowen conversion of the Redhawk but this could be an affordable gun if the barrel rebore isn't too bad. I looked on the internet for some info but couldn't find anyone that had done the conversion - I'm sure they are out there somewhere.

Anybody got any info or thoughts on this?

Why not pursue places like Gunbroker.com for a cylinder and not purchase an entire gun when the cylinder is all that you are after.

At present this is all that is available but this will change over time

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/SearchResults.aspx

Default .480 cylinder & rebore

I'll keep my eyes open for a cylinder if I can find one. I'm not in a hurry so that helps. I'm also looking for a .454 cylinder of course. I guess you could rebore the .44 Mag but apparently they used a better steel on the .480s - at least the 5 shot ones.

I found that a rebore cost $150 from Clearwater/Deltagun Shop. That isn't too bad but I need to get more info. My gunsmith said that removing the barrel from a Redhawk is a real pain- apparently they epoxyed them in or somthing to keep them from coming loose.

Quote Originally Posted by jwp500 View Post
    Why not pursue places like Gunbroker.com for a cylinder and not purchase an entire gun when the cylinder is all that you are after.

At present this is all that is available but this will change over time

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/SearchResults.aspx

He's had those two guns in the case for quite a few years. They're darn nice to be sure, but a bit too rich for my blood.
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

tvinak:

Is there any reason you don't want to keep it as a .480? I have 3 of them, 1 has a scope on it and for now the other two have nice spots in the safe. I'll eventually cut one down to 5 or 5.5 inches and keep the last one original.

Default .480 srh

I'll have the cylinder in the donor .480 gun replaced and leave it as it. With an 8" .460 I really don't need another similar gun - I'm only interested in the .480 Redhawk because it is a bit smaller and lighter than my XFrame or a SRH.

Of course I've got to get my ,454 Redhawk project finished first - but I can be on the lookout for a .480 SRH and a cheap .44 Redhawk platform along the way.

Quote Originally Posted by kingfisherktn View Post
    tvinak:

Is there any reason you don't want to keep it as a .480? I have 3 of them, 1 has a scope on it and for now the other two have nice spots in the safe. I'll eventually cut one down to 5 or 5.5 inches and keep the last one original.

OK, got it. Thanks.