Thread: Labs with epelipsy

Default Labs with epelipsy

besides buying the perscribed stuff from a vet is there any other fix's for them
    Visions Steel/841-WELD(9353)
    "Rebellion is in my blood, I was born an American"
    Μολών λαβέ

Iron, all the treatments for it that I'm aware of are Rx meds, although there are several different meds that might be prescribed, depending...

There's some top shelf info here: http://www.canine-epilepsy.net/basics/basics_index.html

There's lots to read on that site, but it's pretty straight up, no BS. It's interesting that they're starting to figure out the exact gene that causes canine epilepsy now, so perhaps a better cure will come along at some point.

Thankfully, my dogs seizures are pretty infrequent, so no drugs for him, we just live with it.
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

I have had two dogs with epilepsy.
    One was treated with phenobarbital and her condition never improved overall.
    The other I just took care to exercise regularly and keep an even temper around and she has turned around 100%.
    I am one who believes stress and poor diet/lack of exercise are the cause of 90% of health problems in Americans and their dogs.
    I might be wrong.
    "When the time comes for a man to look his Maker in the eye, where better could the meeting be held than in the wilderness?"

My brothers dog recently started siezuring recently it's a 6-7 y/o cut male. He found a vitamin that he started him on, but I was asking for him to see what other remidies or idea's are out there thank you both, Tailwind how often did you have to bring the treated one in for checkups/bloodtests.
    Μολών λαβέ

It was just an initial battery of tests. Not sure about all they tested for but it included thyroid and blood. After that she was prescribed phonbarb and took it the rest of her life. It took the edge off but she would still have many bad days.

No more Vet visits other than usual check ups. She did have a good life in spite of her condition and lived for many years but my bulldog now has a quality of life that Gabby(first dog) never knew.

Just figured I would mention it could be stress related and you should always consider a change in the routine, exercise and diet before going on meds. I don't like chemical dependancy for me or my dogs.
    "When the time comes for a man to look his Maker in the eye, where better could the meeting be held than in the wilderness?"

no it sounds like the dogs routine diet or exercise hasn't been changed just a couple weeks ago the ol guy started falling over and siezuring once or twice a day. It sounds like the vitamins might have helped him a bit and didn't have any problems yesterday but had one earlier today. How often were your dogs occuring?
    Μολών λαβέ

I wasn't saying a routine change was the problem, I was suggesting that it may be the solution.

The first dog had seizures about twice a month. My dog now has seizures about twice a year and it's usually stress induced.

moose has his when he gets exited and trying to get a lab to not do that would probably be impossible
    Μολών λαβέ