Thread: I'm Actually Moving!...Need Advice on Shipping.

Default I'm Actually Moving!...Need Advice on Shipping.

Hello My Good Friends!

When I first started posting here, I was just planning a move, possibly by spring of 2013. Never in my dreams did I think I would become a true Alaskan resident by the February-March time frame. Well, there is an unsavory part of that dream lol! It's called packing and shipping!!! Now I have begun the tedious task of separating the things I am bringing and the things that are being thrown out or given to Goodwill. I could use some advice here, but first let me tell you what I was thinking of doing. I need to find, don't know where, some sturdy boxes of a particular size, that will fit on a pallet when put in a particular position. I hope to stack these boxes no higher than 5 feet and then shrink warap them on the pallet and send them off. First of all, what do you think of the pallet idea? Do you think that some fragile items in these boxes, will be okay en-route? I will have things like a ham radio and associated electronics, as well as a desktop computer. The laptop will be going with me. Those boxes that u-haul provides, will those be sturdy enough to do what I need? Thank you guy/gals for your time. Happy New Year!!!!

God Bless

Jeff
    My Brothers in Arms, I Will Never Be Able to Shake the Hands of the Real Heroes.

All depends who you are shipping with. I have a retail store. A large part of my inventory comes by common carrier in boxes on pallets. In general I see very little damage.

Pack your box's with two types of goods by that I would pack anything that you consider fragel on one side of the box and something that could take a little more abuse on the other. Then have all box's marked so that you could turn the fragel side in . It might be a good idea to put cardboard on all four sides before you srinkwrape. Then take some ratchet straps and go across the box's and pallet going in both diriction. You might even think about putting some plastic over it before you tie it all down to protect from any water . Good Luck and welcome home!!!!!

To become a true Alaska resident you will need to be here for 1 year first.

I know about the hunting and trapping, but once I get my Alaskan driving license I shouldn't have to wait a year to drive or purchase weapons or buy land and build a cabin!
    My Brothers in Arms, I Will Never Be Able to Shake the Hands of the Real Heroes.

the reg books, on hunting/fishing, and dividends are one thing,...

but once you are here, residing on the land, intending to stay, hooked on the idea of it all,... consider yourself a resident,...!!

there are folks who've lived their entire life up here, whining about it all, wishin' they could live out their TV dreamland
    who are officially residents,....by the regs book

and then some who become residents, the minute they cross the border,

Dive In, Corpsman, glad to hear, it's happening sooner rather than later for ya
    Ten Hours in that little raft off the AK peninsula, blowin' NW 60, in November.... "the Power of Life and Death is in the Tongue," and Yes, God is Good !

I sent up a wooden box last spring that was 4'x4'x8'tall, when it got here it was on its side, not what I wanted. I would recommend making a wooden box on top of a pallet about 5 to 6 feet tall, I used screws to hold the box together so when it got here I could take it apart and use the plywood for cabin construction. I used 5/8" plywood, 1/2" would do. I put everything in plastic bags inside the box incase of rain, or the shipper left it setting outside on a flat bed waiting to deliver it to me. I put 2x4's in the corners to screw the plywood to, it was very strong and that is why it made it thru the laying on its side, glad I made it tough enough. Cost about $500.00 to ship it from Oregon to Soldotna.

go to a moving company and buy 4.5 cubic foot boxes.... if i do remember right from my years working as a mover, they stack well together on a pallet with little wasted space

One thing to consider is to bring stuff you will need right away on the airlines. I just moved my Son to Fairbanks and with Alaska you can ship up to 100lbs per container as long as it need the size limit for 50 buck each. We used those cheap rubber maid totes and shipped 300lbs of his stuff for 150 bucks. Not bad when you think about it. Did the same thing coming back from Kodiak this fall. Shipped my meat and hides cheaper than freight prices and had it when I got off the plane.

Steve
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

craigslist should have some listings in the free section for moving boxes.

I recommend building a box on a pallet as well. 2x4 frame with 1/2 or 3/8 inch plywood sides/top/bottom.

Hey Guy's,

I wanted to give an update. These moving companies rape you of your money and smile while they are doing it. Evidently, what I'm shipping, not furniture, just personal effects, is not considered freight! I don't know what the best part is, so I'll list them and you can choose. Don't know why, but conveniently, freight is cheaper to ship than household goods, by thousands of dollars...oh wait, it doesn't stop there, on top of that, there is a minimum of 1,000lbs!!! The way that works, I have about 4-500lbs to ship, but I will have to pay for 1,000lbs. Do you feel the love yet? I have a warm and fuzzy! Well this particular company gave me a run around and 4 numbers later I was connected to their "relocation division" who told me I was getting a deal at $2235 out the door!!! oh boy! What a bargain! Well, would never have imagined it, but it will actually be cheaper to box the remnants of my life and put it through as checked "boxes" Being the genius that I am, sharp as a bowling ball I tell you, I went to home depot and picked up a few boxes to begin packing, and got lucky so I escaped the second $50-75 charge for being over a sum of 62" I will "only" be charged $50 for being at 100lbs per box. I am hoping that I can limit it to just 5 or 6 boxes. This is going to be the last time I move until I'm in a casket and being moved to my grave!!!

God Bless

Jeff

Hey Corpsman, welcome to the real Alaska Experience. Once you move up here you will never be kissed again before being dry...umm...family site and all.....up the rear by any national chain business. We are all pretty used to it now and spend our money accordingly.

You will also learn that its nearly always cheaper to buy local than to buy in the L48 and have it sent up. Not all the time, but still.

This is why it is cheaper to use the USPS and mail stuff parcel post, general delivery, hold for pickup.

It takes two to three weeks, but is still seriously cheap.

Jeff, Put a ad on Craigs List both in Ak and in the area where you are at, might hit it lucky and find someone coming this way and have the space. I would do several put one under Wanted . Good luck

Jeff,
    Have you thought aout buying a used truck or large van, moving your stuff to Alaska and then selling the moving vehicle when you get there. I did that once on a move from Illinois to California. I bought a used van and towed my car. Even after gasoline expenses (this was in the mid-70's) I was able to make a small profit on the move after selling the van in California. Just a thought, it's what I'd do anyhow.
    Steve
    Tomorrow's a mystery, yesterday's history, today is a gift, that's why it's called the present!
    Approach life like you do a yellow light - RUN IT! (Gail T.)

If he only has 500 lbs, that will only cost 250 bucks to bring on the airline. Not really worth the trouble to try any other way IMHO. Plus you have it when you arrive. An entire house full would be different.

Steve
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/