Thread: Recommendations on an overnighter this weekend?

Knoxville, Tennessee, United States

Default Recommendations on an overnighter this weekend?

Looking for some recommendations on some trails to take on this Saturday. My friend and I are planning on camping Saturday night and heading back Sunday morning. We don't have any snowshoes yet (just ordered some though!) so we're looking for something we could get manage with just regular hiking boots. I'm mostly interested in the glen alps/ prospect heights area since it's the closest to us. Thanks!

Eagle River

A short hike in at Glen Alps will have some small rolling hills on the right side of the trail. I've winter camped up there before, in a snow shelter. It's relatively protected and that particular area is out of any avalanche hazard.

Also consider the Eagle River Nature Center. The path there tends to be hikeable without special gear and there plenty of places to camp. Glen Alps would likely have more ambient light (from the city lights) at night. Eagle River Valley gets darker at night because the city is further away and more hidden behind the mountains.
    "If snowmachiners would adopt the habits of riding one at a time and not parking at the base of avalanche prone slopes, the number of fatalities would likely be whittled by at least a third, if not by half." ~ Jill Fredston, in the book Snowstruck, In The Grip Of Avalanches.