Thread: Steel Shot?

WhiskeyJack

Default Steel Shot?

New to Alaska and I have not shot waterfowl for many years. But I did get a new shotgun for Christmas and I want to hunt some ducks and geese next fall.

By next fall I hope to be living in Kenai, Soldotna, or Anchorage. Is steel shot required everywhere in the state, including the remote fly-in areas?

Thank You All, Great Outdoor Forums!

http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/static/re...pdfs/wfl-1.pdf

Any of the not toxic shot can be shot. No lead. Anywhere! Page 13 lists the approved non toxic shot that can be used.

I don't think lead shot is legal anywhere on North America for migratory birds. Possibly Mexico, but I could be wrong there. I am pretty sure it's a federal law, in both US and Canada.
    Some people call it sky busting... I call it optimism
    "Swans are a gift" -DucksandDogs
    I am a shoveler's worst nightmare!

If you are asking basic questions like this you REALLY NEED TO READ THE REGS! ADF&G publishes waterfowl regs and it has all the info you need. Its good that you are trying to follow the rules but there is a lot more also. Good luck in your hunts and welcome to the Best state in the U.S.

Thewolfwatching

Homework ummm... should be considered....
    Quote Originally Posted by WhiskeyJack View Post
    New to Alaska and I have not shot waterfowl for many years. But I did get a new shotgun for Christmas and I want to hunt some ducks and geese next fall.

By next fall I hope to be living in Kenai, Soldotna, or Anchorage. Is steel shot required everywhere in the state, including the remote fly-in areas?

Quote Originally Posted by WhiskeyJack View Post

Waterfowling is not a game to jump into without reading the regs. Non-toxic shot (steel, bismuth, tungsten, etc.) is required across the nation/continent. Since waterfowl are regulated on a federal level, you can really get into some trouble if you don't know the rules. There is a lot of good information on this site, but when it comes to rules and regulations, trust the regs, not Jim and Bill. I guess ultimately its up to you, but if my privilege to hunt and fish depends solely on how well I know the rules, I'm gonna do the research myself. The reg book is published online and available in stores across the state free of charge. The waterfowl regs are harder to find in print, but they're also available online.

Good luck next season, but between now and then, start studying birds!

Any waterfowl hunting (also includes cranes in most states) in the US requires the use of non-toxic shot (steel, tungsten, bismuth, or some USFWS-approved blend of these). Possessing lead shot while waterfowl hunting is also illegal. Ducks and Dogs is right that it can get you into some serious hot water.

If you haven't used any of the non-toxic shot for hunting before, I would recommend getting out to do some target shooting before you go. The speed and effectiveness of most modern shot is more than enough to bring down any waterfowl, but you have to use the right size loads. I would suggest 3s for most ducks, 2s or larger for geese and BBs for cranes. Many people use 4s for ducks, but I have had much better luck with a slightly heavier load.

As everyone has said, it is critical that you read and understand the regs. Even though they are set by the feds, the state actually chooses bag limits and publishes the regs. They are usually available by early August. Do your homework, know the regs, and you'll have a blast, no pun intended. Alaska has some great waterfowl hunting, if you put in the time and effort, but don't expect it to be a walk in the park. With few exceptions, you need a boat or an ATV, but again, know the regs about these as well. Mixed land ownership in Alaska can be tricky, but if you ask lots of questions and do your homework, it'll work out well for you!

Whiskeyjack...brother..been like that since late 80's in most states.

Welcome to AK..but please read those regs.

do some research on the forum..you will find a TON of information on hunting birds in Alaska...best of luck to you next fall.
    President of Alaska Waterfowl Assoc.
    http://akwaterfowl.com
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Alask...78020265619952
    AlaskaWaterfowlAssociation@gmail.com
    Gen.1:26
    And God said, let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth.

[QUOTE=, start studying birds![/QUOTE]

studying birds? if u dont have to worry about sea ducks the only bird you need to know is a can which i dont think are seen to often. thats one thing i like about up here is the limits arent all crazy weird like mn
    I will never be a "Prostaffer" its not that I am not good enough
    but its because I refuse to pimp products for free.

IDK, it seems some people can't tell the difference between emperor geese and swans, or snow geese and swans. Sounded like a few hunters needed to read some waterfowl ID books last season.
    Some people call it sky busting... I call it optimism
    "Swans are a gift" -DucksandDogs
    I am a shoveler's worst nightmare!

Quote Originally Posted by kwackkillncrew View Post
    studying birds? if u dont have to worry about sea ducks the only bird you need to know is a can which i dont think are seen to often. thats one thing i like about up here is the limits arent all crazy weird like mn
    Yeah, you still need to know what you're shooting at, though. I don't know what he'll see when he's hunting, it's never BAD to know what you're shooting at.

Steel or non toxic shoot is a federal mandate in the US.
    I have hunted ducks & geese off and on for 40 yrs and itís advisable to learn your birds, both in the air and on the ground and water. Know the regs yearly as they will change every year as to limits or bag limits. Get with someone the first season that will teach you the ends and outs of decoy layouts, the do's and don'ts of the hunt.
    Its also important to know the AK tide conditions and how that can affect your hunt as well as your safety.

Sweepint
    Wasilla, (when not overseas)
    '' Livn' The Dream ''
    26' Hewescraft Cuddy, twin 115 Yam