Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 280 ai

Default 280 ai

Why is there such a big hype with this caliber? Its been around for a while, I thought it would be nice to get a little more out of my .280 so I sent mine off to get done up (really no reason, but shoot a heavier bullet for me)
    Kimber and Nosler has a minimum 6 mos up to a year wait, and boondocks just keeps adding names to their waiting list. Just wondering....and I'm bored.

Cause some people don't like belted magnums so they refuse to shoot a 7mmRM. All in all it is a sweet caliber, more people will get excited now that it's becoming commercially available. I can see the 223ai following shortly.

280ai, not just for loonies anymore.
    I'd agree with you, but then we'd both be wrong.

My only issue is that there are 3 different versions of the 280ai out there. I have a SAAMI spec chamber in my Kimber. Their chamber is a bit shorter than the original Ackley 40* spec to eliminate perceived headspace issues with the original. This means that original dies will not necessarily work with the SAAMI spec without modification. It also means that the off the shelf SAAMI spec Nosler 280ai ammo has excessive headspace when chambered in an original spec chamber. Then there are a few of the 30* shoulders floating around as well... Pain in the butt!

Beyond that it is a slick round! 160 grain .530 BC accubonds in the neighborhood of 3K FPS ain't to shabby! Add to that a light action and 4+1 capacity. It sure specs to be a better choice for me in a mountain gun. More thump than my 270 WSM just in case I decide a Griz needs to make the flight home with me. Besides anything Ackley is just plain cool!

Quote Originally Posted by LuJon View Post
    Besides anything Ackley is just plain cool!
    That says it....

It's not technically "better" than anything else and as a wildcat elicited nothing but a big yawn from me...but as a factory round? It certainly has some attributes that I think are worthwhile.

I can't see it being any more effective in the field than any of the dozens of similar cartridges but there's nothing wrong with it either. When you look at the class of cartridges its compared against (270, 7RM, 7WSM, 280, '06, .308) the perceived differences qualify mostly as minutae.

But none of that stops me from wanting one.

Not sure why either. Fun little round I guess, but you pretty much HAVE to reload for it aside from just Nosler Trophy 140 grain accubond.

Kimber has it coming in around 5.6 pounds. If it were me I'd probably go 7mmWSM in Browning TI and have the same thing, but like anything its all personal preference.

I really liked my 270 WSM, and really wanted to stay with it, but I really couldn't get the grouping I wanted to satify myself.

Which is funny because, my friend who is a prolific benchrest shooter, said stick with long action, some short actions are okay, but don't ever buy a WSM.

One ot the reasons it was popular is because of the increased powder charge and mainly the increased pressure at which it operates, the AI version is quite an improvement over the wimpy loaded 280. Another is the tag "Ackley Improved" which can almost turn a 7x57 into a 7mmSTW.

Quote Originally Posted by kahahawai View Post
    I really liked my 270 WSM, and really wanted to stay with it, but I really couldn't get the grouping I wanted to satify myself.

Which is funny because, my friend who is a prolific benchrest shooter, said stick with long action, some short actions are okay, but don't ever buy a WSM.
    I'm not the best shot in town this group was shot yesterday between sitting in the truck thawing out. Kimber 325 wsm w/vxII 2x7 group shot arpounf 1530 in the afternoon as well.
    Attached Images Attached Images

my .280 ackley 40 degree, is a dan lilja barreled remington 700 sportsman. the stainless match grade 25" barrel is a #4 contour, fluted, was built by elk river outfitters. the action has been trued,threads recut and lugs lapped. ed kindly switched out my stock trigger with the shilen model. it breaks very cleanly @ 2.2#. stocked by brown precision and using a nikon 4X scope it punches quarter minute groups with regularity.

this rifle will shoot alongside a 7mm magnum with bullets to 160gr. very impressed with this caliber and rifle i have used it to take elk in tough conditions. it will always be a favorite with me.
    happy trails.
    jh

Pine,

Are you saying you are getting 7mm Rem Mag velocity from the 160 gr bullets with a 25" 280 AI?

I have a 700 Mtn rifle in 280 that I have used successfully on moose and caribou with the old 139 gr Hornadys. I'm not sure why but I've always wanted to run an AI reamer into the chamber and play with that in a 22" barrel. I'm not sure I can really get significantly better velocity from that length barrel with the AI. I love the gun just the way it is and it will shoot at or just below MOA now so that is certainly good enough for a hunting gun. Maybe I shold leave it alone.
    Somewhere along the way I have lost the ability to act politically correct. If you should find it, please feel free to keep it.

Lowrider,

My first 280 Ackley was a rechambered 7X57 Ruger. It consistently got very close to 3000 fps out of the factory 22" barrel. I sold it to an RCMP member up here who is still using it very year for sheep, moose, and caribou.

Don't fret a 22" barrel.

Ted

Thanks Ted!

I may have to make the jump one of these days just to get something new to play with. I also have a 700 BDL with a 24" 280 barrel but it is not nearly as nice to carry as the little mountain rifle. I gotta give it some more thought but I'm glad you were successful with the 22" barrel on your Ruger.

BTW, a friend of mine's son is a new RCMP officer in the Yukon somewhere up north...north of Whitehorse but I'm not sure where. His name is Bret Cameron if you happen to run into him, tell him his Dad is pretty proud of him.
    Somewhere along the way I have lost the ability to act politically correct. If you should find it, please feel free to keep it.

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

Quote Originally Posted by rbuck351 View Post
    One ot the reasons it was popular is because of the increased powder charge and mainly the increased pressure at which it operates, the AI version is quite an improvement over the wimpy loaded 280. Another is the tag "Ackley Improved" which can almost turn a 7x57 into a 7mmSTW.
    Yep, I agree.

Considering the minuscule increase in powder space, PRESSURE hasta be higher, to acheive the velocities claimed, and found in loading data.

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

Quote Originally Posted by Lowrider View Post
    Pine,

Are you saying you are getting 7mm Rem Mag velocity from the 160 gr bullets with a 25" 280 AI?

I have a 700 Mtn rifle in 280 that I have used successfully on moose and caribou with the old 139 gr Hornadys. I'm not sure why but I've always wanted to run an AI reamer into the chamber and play with that in a 22" barrel. I'm not sure I can really get significantly better velocity from that length barrel with the AI. I love the gun just the way it is and it will shoot at or just below MOA now so that is certainly good enough for a hunting gun. Maybe I shold leave it alone.
    hi lowrider; yes i achieve compareable velocity bullet for bullet to 160 gr. after that, the 7mm magnum case simply holds the powder volumn edge.
    a favorite load is with the 140 gr nosler and aa3100 powder, very accurate flat shooting and penetrates well.
    happy trails.
    jh

Thanks Pine!!

Thinking, thinking,thinking....I've alway used 139 or 140 gr in my 280's so that's good to hear you are having luck with them. Are you using 280 brass or something else?

At $90 for a reamer...proabably worth doing.

I think the 280 is where everything comes together for the 30-06 family of cartridges. It has arguably the best combination of ballistics and effectiveness on game. It's generally loaded pretty soft from the factory. A well-informed handloader can get a lot out of it.

280AI is more of the same, but its advantages are only for those who handload.

A properly handloaded and throated 7mag is a whole nuther kettle of fish.

Vek,

You're right. I've been shooting 7mm from since the early 70's everything from 7 TCU to 7 Rem Mag. I learned quickly that the magnums really don't buy you much in killing power but do add some range. I settled in on the 280 as the perfect round and have been successful with it for years and have had the same luck with the 7x57mm and I firmly believe the 6.5mm and 7mm are magic. I really don't need an AI added to the 280 but it seems to be one of those sirens that keep calling me.

Quote Originally Posted by Lowrider View Post
    Thanks Pine!!

Thinking, thinking,thinking....I've alway used 139 or 140 gr in my 280's so that's good to hear you are having luck with them. Are you using 280 brass or something else?

At $90 for a reamer...proabably worth doing.
    lowrider. i use standard .280 brass fireformed with a light charge to chamber dimentions. after that they are neck sized only. this seems to work for me, and have never had a chambering problem. my cases are similar to the 30-06 in that they are into their 6th reload with tight primer pockets. cases are trimmed as necessary, but generally don't require much of that either. nickle brass is a favorite for use in leather loops or cases, but i don't have a favorite brand of brass.

look for a deal on powder, as my rifle likes aa3100, h4831, imr 4831 and even imr 4350. barnes bullets go through elk ( and haven't been recovered ) noslers are great, but plain remington corelokts are good too. best of luck with your rifle!
    happy trails.
    jh

I was reading on another forum and the guys over there are saying use RL 22 or MRP in standard 280 push the pressures to what the 270 is which is 62,000- 65,000 psi and you will get within 100 f.p.s of the 7 mag with the standard 280. From what I gathered the reloading manuals only load the 280 to 57,000 psi.

Thanks guys!! IMR 4831SC is my go to powder in the -06 case rounds except for the 6.5-06AI which seems to like IMR4350 for some reason.

I always load up in 1/4 grain increments until I see pressure signs on the primer or sticky bolt lift and then back off 2or3 percent and then keep going down for best accuracy. I have no idea what the pressure might be but I always choose the most accurate load regardless of pressure or velocity. Most guns it seems to be just below the 2 percent reduction level. 100fps doesn't matter to the bullet or the critter.

You guys have me tempted to order that reamer....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast