Thread: has anyone ridden on the Placer River lately?

Question has anyone ridden on the Placer River lately?

considering taking the family for a New Year's ride there, but want to ensure the ice is safe, thanks in advance for any input.

If I understand their Tweet correctly, it doesn't open until New Years so I doubt anyone has ridden there yet.

Placer and Skookum Drainage opened up on the 23rd. Hadn't gone out there yet, but the forums were commenting that there was a lot of traffic out there last weekend. Didn't see any comments about open water.

Default Latest from the area...

Placer River
    Open
    Placer and Skookum are open to motorized use. Be aware of thin snow cover.
    Twenty Mile
    Closed
    Rain at sea level has decreased the snow pack in the last week
    Forest Service will be monitoring conditions daily
    Skookum
    Open
    Placer and Skookum are open to motorized use. Be aware of thin snow cover.
    Johnson Pass
    OpenAn especially important piece of equipment to carry if you will be traveling on Johnson Pass, is a chainsaw travel in some areas hampered due to additional snow on those already bent over trees.

Thumbs up

FYI I made the trip. The river ice is good and solid, but there were about a half dozen water crossings. With it being zero degrees or less all day, our machines were super icy by the end of the day...Thankfully, no frozen tracks, only very stiff steering! The glacier was beautiful and made the trip worthwhile, but I think I'll wait for a warmer day before I go again

cheers!

I was there too. Agree with Berto's comments. I took a look at the Twenty Mile valley while I was down there. Seemed to be the same conditions as or likely more snow than the Placer River valley. So why is the Twenty Mile valley still closed? I don't get it.