Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Scope choice for safari caliber.

Default Scope choice for safari caliber.

My next project is a custom SSK barrel for my Encore (rifle) in .416 Taylor. I'm looking for opinions on moderate priced scopes that handle the recoil for such a whomper. For example, I'm looking into the Leupold Rifleman 2-7, possibly the Redfield 2-7 (heard bad things about them mounted on 45-70's), Weaver Classic V 1-3, Bushnell XLT 1.5-6.
    I'm partial to Bushnell for cheaper scopes. My first moose was taken with a Bushnell that had a four wheeler rolled on it the day before. I've been a fan since. I would also love to mount an old El Paso Weaver 2.5x or 4x on it, but I've never put one of those on a heavy recoil rifle. Any scope for ~250 that hold up to .416 abuse? I plan on only using 300 grain bullets so it'll be comparable to a 375 H&H. No need for 400's on the interior bears. I'm especially interested in info on the old Weaver's, if they'll hold up to safari magnum recoil. Andrew.

Long live the Taylor!
    Born in Alaska: The boundary lines have fallen for me in pleasant places; surely I have a delightful inheritance. Psalm 16:6

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming-----WOW-----what a ride!
    Unknown author

I have an old Weaver 1.5 X 4.5 that I would consider selling. I bought it new and it has been on a Marlin 39A since.
    NRA Life Member since 1974

Leupold vx 2 2x7. I have one on my 375 H&H . Stay away from the Zeiss conquest line. I blew the crosshairs and rubber o rings out on shot number three.

I have been using nothing but Leupold 1.5x5's on my boomers for around 20 years. And I've boomed the heck out of them without sending a single one back to Leupold. Not a "cheap" scope by any means, but what price reliability?

If you are considering a scope for an African hunt, invest all the travel, guide costs and such, I don't think I would buy a cheap scope. Failure is not an option at that point.

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

Highestview I am the new Distbutor for the State of Alaska for Osprey Scopes we have 2x10 4x16 6x24 and 10x40 scopes that I think will suite your needs in the price range your looking for.They use Hoya full coated glass, they are shake tested for 50bmg spec's , 1/8 moa turrets, they have excellent eye relief, they are purged before being nitrogen filled, and use the best epoxies avail. If you want to take a look at some of them let me know. I think you will be happy at what you see. Thanks Del
    Owner of Kenai Keeper www.kenaikeeper.com

Quote Originally Posted by highestview View Post
    My next project is a custom SSK barrel for my Encore (rifle) in .416 Taylor. I'm looking for opinions on moderate priced scopes that handle the recoil for such a whomper. For example, I'm looking into the Leupold Rifleman 2-7, possibly the Redfield 2-7 (heard bad things about them mounted on 45-70's), Weaver Classic V 1-3, Bushnell XLT 1.5-6.
    I'm partial to Bushnell for cheaper scopes. My first moose was taken with a Bushnell that had a four wheeler rolled on it the day before. I've been a fan since. I would also love to mount an old El Paso Weaver 2.5x or 4x on it, but I've never put one of those on a heavy recoil rifle. Any scope for ~250 that hold up to .416 abuse? I plan on only using 300 grain bullets so it'll be comparable to a 375 H&H. No need for 400's on the interior bears. I'm especially interested in info on the old Weaver's, if they'll hold up to safari magnum recoil. Andrew.

Long live the Taylor!
    For pure reliability, I'd be in the market for a used Leupold in a M8 3X , a compact 2.5X or a Vari-X III 1.5-5. On the used scene these can all be had for under $250 and are reliable to a fault, not to mention outstanding eye relief. Either of these scopes can fail, but so far as reliability is concerned they are at the top of the list for hunting scopes.
    Foolishness is a moral category, not an intellectual one.

Quote Originally Posted by BrownBear View Post
    Not a "cheap" scope by any means, but what price reliability?
    Yeah, I know. I've just seen that cheaper scopes can make the cut, but you have to pick the right one.

Re: Daveinthebush; I'm not going to Africa. I'd have a bolt action made up if I had that kind of money. I'm talking about a moose/brownie gun and since it's already a single shot, I'm going to use a caliber that really makes that one shot count. With a 26" barrel and 300 grain bullets, the Taylor can ALMOST match my current 300 Winchester ballistically within 300 yards. Of course, it blows the 300 out of the water for energy

I'm leaning toward the Leupold, because of their reputation, but I'm still curious about the old Weavers.
    Born in Alaska: The boundary lines have fallen for me in pleasant places; surely I have a delightful inheritance. Psalm 16:6

I'm leaning toward the Leupold, because of their reputation, but I'm still curious about the old Weavers.
    I've had great luck with the old 2x and 4x Weavers on boomers, but neither the 6x nor any of the zooms ever held up to anything oomphier than a 300 mag for some reason.

Best test of the Leupy was the Ruger #1 Tropical rechambered to 460 Wby that I used to own. Thankfully it's gone, but at only 9 pounds with the scope it was a true test of scope durability. Egad. About 1k shots later, I never had the slightest hitch.

I've got a number of the old Weavers including a K4 I bought new for $40 back in the mid 60s. I put it on an 03-A3 that I paid $35 for new in a Herter's sporter stock. When I first put the rifle and scope together I could consistanly put my first 3 shots in 1/2" C-C at 100yds and 5 in 1" - the rig outshot a lot of Mdl 70s and other rifles of the day. Now my eyes and the gun are both well worn and can't do near as well. I did take the rig out last summer however and the amazing thing was how poor the optics are compared to about any modern scope you can buy. The old Weavers are interesting but lacking optically and mechanically - I won't consider putting one a hunting rifle here in Alaska.

Yeah, I know. I've just seen that cheaper scopes can make the cut, but you have to pick the right one.

Re: Daveinthebush; I'm not going to Africa. I'd have a bolt action made up if I had that kind of money. I'm talking about a moose/brownie gun and since it's already a single shot, I'm going to use a caliber that really makes that one shot count. With a 26" barrel and 300 grain bullets, the Taylor can ALMOST match my current 300 Winchester ballistically within 300 yards. Of course, it blows the 300 out of the water for energy

Living the urban lifestyle so I can pay my way and for my family's needs, and support my country. And you?
    ".. ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country" JFK

I like ZERO magnification on the lower end so it's like looking through a window pane with crosshairs on running shots, or a charging bear (although I've never been charged by a bear). If you can find one, a good 30 mm tubed 1-4 power scope offers a massive field of view.

I'd look call Doug at Cameraland about some of the Minox Scopes.

Both the Z5 1.5-8 and the 2-10 are on sale heavily and if you buy before the end of the year you get an additional $50 off that even.

The old K2.5 and K3 Weavers are darn near rattleproof, hard too shake them apart but.... Compared to modern scopes they are pretty dark and dim, and not being gas filled they are prone to fogging. I had a 2.5 that was in mint shape, it was an oldie too. I bought it with the idea of mounting it on one of my hunting rifles, but when comparing it against my 1960's era Leupold, I found it sadly lacking. I had a slightly newer K3 that was much better, even used it for a year and took game, but it just didn't have the same crispness as my Leupolds. I still buy the old steeltubes, only fixed powers and usually nothing higher than 4X, but now I use them for rimfires and as gifts to young hunters who cannot afford a scope, while not the best they are better than a 25$ Simmons!

My bigbore has a 1.5-5 Leupold sitting atop it, I wouldn't have it any other way, it's my favorite scope. I do have a scope you may be interested in though. I have a brand new Leupold VX-R Firedot 1-4X, it's probably not for sale although it may be up for trade, but if you want to check it out just let me know. I would be happy to let you look it over.

Default Old Weavers

The old Weaver are neat on .22s because you can loosen the turrent screws and slide the assembly back and forth to adjust for parallex.

Most of the other fixed powers are set for 100 yds or so and have a lot of parallex at 25 yds or so.

Quote Originally Posted by The Kid View Post
    The old K2.5 and K3 Weavers are darn near rattleproof, hard too shake them apart but.... Compared to modern scopes they are pretty dark and dim, and not being gas filled they are prone to fogging. I had a 2.5 that was in mint shape, it was an oldie too. I bought it with the idea of mounting it on one of my hunting rifles, but when comparing it against my 1960's era Leupold, I found it sadly lacking. I had a slightly newer K3 that was much better, even used it for a year and took game, but it just didn't have the same crispness as my Leupolds. I still buy the old steeltubes, only fixed powers and usually nothing higher than 4X, but now I use them for rimfires and as gifts to young hunters who cannot afford a scope, while not the best they are better than a 25$ Simmons!

My bigbore has a 1.5-5 Leupold sitting atop it, I wouldn't have it any other way, it's my favorite scope. I do have a scope you may be interested in though. I have a brand new Leupold VX-R Firedot 1-4X, it's probably not for sale although it may be up for trade, but if you want to check it out just let me know. I would be happy to let you look it over.
    Living the urban lifestyle so I can pay my way and for my family's needs, and support my country. And you?
    ".. ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country" JFK

$250 or so for a budget big boomer? Hmmm.

Leupold VX2 1-4x...had one of those on several heavier rifles and near your price point. A 1-5x Leupold if you can stretch your budget or find a good deal used.

The Leupold FX2 2.5x fixed, a 3x fixed and a 4x fixed...all good and near your price range new.

The Burris 1.5-5x Safari select is a good choice but a little hard to find used.

Quote Originally Posted by 1Cor15:19 View Post
    For pure reliability, I'd be in the market for a used Leupold in a M8 3X , a compact 2.5X or a Vari-X III 1.5-5. On the used scene these can all be had for under $250 and are reliable to a fault, not to mention outstanding eye relief. Either of these scopes can fail, but so far as reliability is concerned they are at the top of the list for hunting scopes.
    SWFA and Leupold has new made M8 3X scopes...I got one from SWFA last month....

for "my" 0.02 worth I WHOLEHEARTEDLY AGREE with BrownBear !! Leupold VX 3 1.5 x 5 - IMO, spend what you must - it will do you no good to post here after you get back, telling us the story about your scope failure - set it up in dual dovetail rings and shoot, shoot, shoot .....

Quote Originally Posted by allen-ak View Post
    SWFA and Leupold has new made M8 3X scopes...I got one from SWFA last month....
    Good info allen-ak.I've seen a couple of the new 3X scopes from the custom shop and heard that they would become a regular catalog item again. Glad to see them available once more. However, to get a 3X Leupold under $250 he's going to have to look on the used market.
    Foolishness is a moral category, not an intellectual one.

Quote Originally Posted by jkb View Post

Bought one of these a couple of years ago from some web site advertising goofy low prices, think it cost $195. Have to admit can not find anything wrong with it. Bright, clear, and easy to adjust the power setting.

Even though Leupold is considered the gold standard for scopes in their price range the more I step away from them and try other brands the more impressed I am with their competition. Would purchase another instead of a Leupold 1.5x5 in a heart beat. And I do own one of the 1.5x5's.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast