Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 21

Thread: Has Anybody heard this rumor?

  1. #1
    New member
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Elmendorf AFB
    Posts
    13

    Default Has Anybody heard this rumor?

    I heard Bass pro shops is bidding on land in Wassila to build on. Anybody hear this?

  2. #2
    Member Hayduke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Meadow Lakes
    Posts
    504

    Default

    That will sure put a hurt on the business the Cabela's does...

  3. #3
    Member Ronster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Valdez
    Posts
    684

    Default

    We need a Salmon Pro shop. Not to many bass up here.

  4. #4
    Moderator kingfisherktn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Ketchikan, AK
    Posts
    4,076

    Default

    About once a year we get the rumors of Cabelas or Bass Pro coming to AK. Believe it when you see them hanging the signs.

  5. #5
    New member
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Elmendorf AFB
    Posts
    13

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kingfisherktn View Post
    About once a year we get the rumors of Cabelas or Bass Pro coming to AK. Believe it when you see them hanging the signs.

    Ya, I have been hearing rumors for years, I could care less if they come to AK. I am a firm believer in shopping in the local community. It's more personal, and not corporate ran. Don't get me wrong I love the atmosphere the Bass Pro and Cabela's but I rarely buy anything there.

  6. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Anchorage
    Posts
    214

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by YEEHAW View Post
    Ya, I have been hearing rumors for years, I could care less if they come to AK. I am a firm believer in shopping in the local community. It's more personal, and not corporate ran. Don't get me wrong I love the atmosphere the Bass Pro and Cabela's but I rarely buy anything there.
    I don't know anybody who isn't a firm believer in shopping in the local community, but beliefs and reality often differ when it comes to saving money or being able to afford something. We need all the business' we can to put REI out of business.

  7. #7
    Member kahahawai's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Wasilla
    Posts
    2,443

    Default

    so as to the second part of the rumor....where is this land they are bidding on in Wasilla?....... Is it Next to Sportsmans?

  8. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Wasilla, Ak
    Posts
    3,909

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kahahawai View Post
    so as to the second part of the rumor....where is this land they are bidding on in Wasilla?....... Is it Next to Sportsmans?
    Pt mckenzie past the prison...

  9. #9
    Member .338-06's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Anchorage
    Posts
    1,045

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 323 View Post
    Pt mckenzie past the prison...
    Great idea! Think of all the business that'll come from Anchorage over the Bridge! Oh wait, that's not built yet either.
    I may be slow, but I get where I'm going!

  10. #10
    Supporting Member iofthetaiga's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Tanana Valley AK
    Posts
    7,218

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kahahawai View Post
    so as to the second part of the rumor....where is this land they are bidding on in Wasilla?....... Is it Next to Sportsmans?
    No, I heard that's where they're planning to put a new prison. Of course they'll need to condemn a few other properties to do it...
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

  11. #11

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by YEEHAW View Post
    Ya, I have been hearing rumors for years, I could care less if they come to AK. I am a firm believer in shopping in the local community. It's more personal, and not corporate ran. Don't get me wrong I love the atmosphere the Bass Pro and Cabela's but I rarely buy anything there.
    I highly doubt BPS will be coming to Alaska, nor Cabela's while any of us are alive. Cabela's has the Alaska catalog sales. I know this because I 'deal' with them as a person selling TV advertisement. BPS is a East Coat biz model. That's their target, East Coast salt, lakes, rivers. Warm water environments if you will. Alaska is a 'cold' waters market.

    I support 'supporting' local OWNED shops, to the point they obviously support me, or for instance AOD. Not every small shop in town is locally owned. B n' Js is an example owned by outsiders that take their profits out of state. I know Mt View and Barneys is locally owned. So, if spending a buck more is worth it to you to support a locally owned store, do your research before you shop. If not, hey, there's K-mart ;-)
    Alaska Outdoors Television ~ Outdoor Channel

  12. #12

    Default

    Exactly!

    I will gladly continue to support local business' even though they are not always the cheapest dealer in town. Boondock in Eagle River is a great example and at times they are even cheaper than big box stores. The friendly attitude and knowledge base is well worth the minor extra expense.

  13. #13
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Outta Big Lake
    Posts
    1,633

    Default

    i like browsing in sportsman's (never been to BPS or cabbalas, but i would think they would be a sportsman's on steroids) and i go there any chance i get, but i prefer to buy my stuff at chemos or some other small store
    Eccleasties 8:11 Because the sentence against an evil deed is not executed quickly, There for the hearts of the sons of men among them are given fully to do evil.

  14. #14
    Member kahahawai's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Wasilla
    Posts
    2,443

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by tdelarm View Post
    I highly doubt BPS will be coming to Alaska, nor Cabela's while any of us are alive. Cabela's has the Alaska catalog sales. I know this because I 'deal' with them as a person selling TV advertisement. BPS is a East Coat biz model. That's their target, East Coast salt, lakes, rivers. Warm water environments if you will. Alaska is a 'cold' waters market.

    I support 'supporting' local OWNED shops, to the point they obviously support me, or for instance AOD. Not every small shop in town is locally owned. B n' Js is an example owned by outsiders that take their profits out of state. I know Mt View and Barneys is locally owned. So, if spending a buck more is worth it to you to support a locally owned store, do your research before you shop. If not, hey, there's K-mart ;-)

    Bass Pro Shop/Outdoor world Is Not just an East Coast Biz Model, they are all over....I have been to the one Just outside of Calgary Alberta , Canada, just a couple of years ago( they have one in Ontario too). Johnny Morris, Started BPS back in the 70's with just catalog sales, and in the mid 1980's he built the original BPS store in Springfield, MO. which he then catered to all sportsman, fisherman and hunters alike. I met Johnny Morris, while I was stationed in Oklahoma at a bass tourney and he said that he first modeled his business after Gander Mtn. With his vision and success of having a few stores to multiple ones he was not going to limit the demand, thus became BPS Outdoor world, and had a vision to move worldwide.

    I too, favor the local owned business, Boondocks, MTn View Sports, Barneys, Wiggys, Big Rays, Prospectors etc etc... and I always hit them first before going elsewhere, but, like some of you stated earlier, I'm always for saving a few dollars too.

  15. #15
    Member Frostbitten's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!
    Posts
    3,279

    Default

    Even if BPS were coming to AK, it darned sure wouldn't be in Wasilla. These places need big numbers of folks coming in the door to make it work, and Wasilla simply doesn't have the numbers...neither does Anchorage. Look at Sportsmans in Wasilla, it's a veritable ghost town in there most of the time.

  16. #16
    Member kahahawai's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Wasilla
    Posts
    2,443

    Default

    I bet if if they have a great venue here in the Valley for a Cabelas, and they catered it for Alaska, and not have all the bass/turkey/whitetail stuff they would make money, especially if they have a catalog outlet attached, to serve people in the bush. I would bet more people from all over the state would come just to go to Cabelas. (think the traffic in the valley is bad now, just imagine if Cabelas was here)

    I knew families back in fairbanks that would road trip just to go to DQ in Soldotna (back when) and to Anchorage just for Sportsmans or Barneys, before fairbanks got theres.

  17. #17
    Member Frostbitten's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!
    Posts
    3,279

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kahahawai View Post
    I bet if if they have a great venue here in the Valley for a Cabelas, and they catered it for Alaska, and not have all the bass/turkey/whitetail stuff they would make money, especially if they have a catalog outlet attached, to serve people in the bush. I would bet more people from all over the state would come just to go to Cabelas. (think the traffic in the valley is bad now, just imagine if Cabelas was here)

    I knew families back in fairbanks that would road trip just to go to DQ in Soldotna (back when) and to Anchorage just for Sportsmans or Barneys, before fairbanks got theres.
    I would agree that folks would certainly travel a little farther to visit a Cabelas...once...for the experience. Just like when Sportsmans opened, it was pretty busy, but once the novelty wears off, no way could they make ends meet.

  18. #18
    Moderator LuJon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Palmer, AK
    Posts
    11,415

    Default

    Checks calendar.... Yup it's time for the annual cabelas/BPS in AK thread again!

  19. #19
    Supporting Member iofthetaiga's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Tanana Valley AK
    Posts
    7,218

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kahahawai View Post
    I knew families back in fairbanks that would road trip just to go to DQ in Soldotna (back when)....
    Desperate folks call for desperate measures.
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

  20. #20
    New member
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Elmendorf AFB
    Posts
    13

    Default

    I too stopped in BPS in Calgary, just last June when I was driving up here. I was walking through the store and happened to meet the store manager and asked the question about Alaska. He was the one who told me about the plans for Wasilla but did not know any other information or when. I'm sure this thread has come up many times, I have even tried to look for it before i posted. But I thought yall would like to know what I was told from a manager at BPS.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •