Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: bomb shelter

Default bomb shelter

I have heard nothing but good things about these tents, I am thinking about picking one up. but i cant seem to find any pics online other than the one on the barneys site. what is your guys' opinions of this tent? can you guys post any pictures you may have of the tent set up some on the inside/out. kind of a big investment for a tent so just looking for some advice. i have my mountaineering tent, now looking for somehting for fly ins and drop offs.

great tent, not that big and not much of a vestibule but the tent it self is as the name says in my experience. heavy, but most tents that'll stand up are gonna be. alot depends on how you'll be using this tent, air plane in or 4-wheelin' in, if weights an issue this might not be the tent for you. but if you've got an engine to get it where you need it you'll probably love it!
    Master guide license #212.....now what?!

There a bomb shelter on craigslist.

Mudman1,
    For a small picture, see Alaska Outdoor Gear Forum, Thread-Carry A Rifle Hands Free, Post #10 by MarineHawk (two weeks ago as of now), with picture of a Barneys 10' X 10' Bomb Shelter.
    8' X 8' Bomb Shelter weighs about 32 pounds. When properly tied down in the bushes it will withstand an Alaska Peninsula hurricane.
    10' X 10' Bomb Shelter weighs about 52 pounds. When properly constructed and tied down it will still withstand a tremoundous blow on Kodiak or out in western AK.

MarineHawk also wrote up a Brown Bear Hunting Forum thread-story with a few more Barneys Bomb Shelter pictures back in lat Sep/early Oct 2010.

The Alaska Tarp & Tent Arctic Ovens are also worth looking at. And these are yellow, earier to see at a distance.
    While I own and use several of Barneys olive green Bomb Shelters for my guide business, I really like the highly visible, "cheery yellow" Alaska Tarp & Tent models.

Both will keep you dry and alive.

Default Bomb shelter tent

I have hunted out of these tents for years. The only other large tent I have is a Cabelas XWT extreme weather tent. Used them both in "extreme" weather scenarios and they both perform as advertised. I did have a bomb shelter fly come apart this fall because someone forgot to attach 1 single piece of velcro, it was a very nasty storm though. You can't go wrong with either one!!Kustatan Brown Bear 128.jpgBEAR HUNT 2006 002.jpg

Default bomb shelter vs. arctic oven

between the bomb shelter and the arctic oven, is there enough functionality difference between the two to justify the 1000 dollar price difference? I do kind of like th idea of being able to see camp from a distance, but at the same time being a little low profile isnt a bad thing.

Bomb Shelter is definately worth the $$$. We used one down on the Peninsula this fall for 21 days and not one issue. Definately will be buying more.

the big diff from what I can see is the ability to have a wood stove in the tent.........

Quote Originally Posted by mudman1 View Post
    between the bomb shelter and the arctic oven, is there enough functionality difference between the two to justify the 1000 dollar price difference? I do kind of like th idea of being able to see camp from a distance, but at the same time being a little low profile isnt a bad thing.

I usually don't post much on here but this will be my secound one today! I have used the same tents in lots of places around north America all the way almost to the North Pole and I must say both tents are great!! If you plan on winter hunting the Arctic oven can't be beat! I have owned a 10 x 10 since they first came out in the early 80's and it is still used all year round! The great thing about the Arctic oven is the fresh air vents and the stove pipe holes and the POLyPrO material on the inside tent that whisks away the moister when drying out after a wet day afield!
    The bomb shelter is a good tent also and I have used them mostly when I was an assistant guide and they were the registered guides equipement! I would always insist on spring bear hunts to use my Arctic Oven Over the bomb shelter as it was warmer and dryer! I never had a bad experience with a Bomb Shelter but prefer the advantages of the Arctic Oven has over the Bomb Shelter!
    They have all kinds of colors for the Arctic Ovens now and buying an Alaska made item is good for Alaska!

Bomb shelter is excellent, but heavy for two people flyouts. My 10x10 weights 40 lb, not sure why it's lighter than AlaskaTrueAdventure's 52lb.

I'v spent months at a time in them out on the Aleutians. I wouldn't want to be in one over 60 mph. I know of five then went by by at 80 to 100+ but out of the five they made two. If I could justify the cost I would buy one.

a couple of pictures.
    Attachment 56128Attachment 56129

How much do the arctic ovens weigh? And how
    Much if you have the stove? Does the stove become cumbersome to transport?has anyone ever used a heater buddy in a bombshelter? Pros...cons?

I have a Artic oven 12x12 with stove.I have been lazy and tried a heater buddy rather than setting up my stove with the kids a few times.It kept it warm but wayyyyyyyyy to much moisture.

I have the integrated vestibule and when I ran the buddy heater the inside of the vestibule would literally drip with condensation.

Arctic Oven Extreme and NuWay stove equals for heaven in the bush. No condensation as the stove is vented. This is an awesome combo for motorized hunts.

"I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"

Steve what size stove is that?I have been looking for some thing similar in drip diesel but have not been able to find , maybe that little guy will be the ticket.

Quote Originally Posted by elim View Post
    Steve what size stove is that?I have been looking for some thing similar in drip diesel but have not been able to find , maybe that little guy will be the ticket.
    It is the smaller of the two NuWays, One only has one burner and the other has two burners. They both use the same housing, so on hind sight I think I would have got the two burner, because if you don't need the other burner you can leave it off.

They are selling these at Tent and Tarp now.

I tried one of the military drip stoves, the new ones and it was not nearly as easy to use as the Nuway.

Steve
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"

Default Arctic Oven worked great for us

Love the Arctic Oven. It's in the 50-pound range, but the wife and I have survived some horrendous Kodiak storms while Spring bear hunting. Here's a link for specs:

http://www.alaskatent.com/
    Attached Images Attached Images

Everyone here has pretty much nailed it. If it were me and I was looking for a bigger more comfortable tent for motorized hunts I'd go with the Arctic Oven. Its more versatile as far as temperature range and you don't have to get a heater to stay dry or warm until it gets pretty cold. I can't remember the temp range it will stay warm with just body heat but you should talk to Alaska Tent and Tarp to get the specifics. That being said we bought the heater for our work and I'll be happy to use it .

If you are leaning towards the bomb shelter I'd seriously consider the getting the Cabelas XWT tent as someone else mentioned here. I'm not a fan of much of anything Cabelas makes but this tent is pretty darn good and last time I checked I could get 3 of them for the price of one Bomb Shelter (that was in 2005). The XWT is the same size as the bomb shelter, holds up in winds and rain just as well, and is pretty well made. The bomb shelter is better made but I don't think its worth the extra cost. I've had both tents up for up to 5 months in western AK and they stood up to 80mph winds, rain, and snow. In fact I've had bomb shelters go down before the XWT but I attributed that to the XWT having more guy lines. Just my 2 cents.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast