Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 101

Thread: Curious for those residents who've hunted kodiak browns...

  1. #1
    Member BRWNBR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Big Lake
    Posts
    8,457

    Default Curious for those residents who've hunted kodiak browns...

    Was doing a arcticle a few years back and got to talking with the bio's down on the island, and he brought up the resident skull size average for bears killed was right at 21.5", where non res average was right around 24".
    Got me to thinking...
    why do residents kill small bears on kodiak? we have plenty of small bears around the state if your just lookin' to drill a 7 footer or so, but as hard as it is to draw a tag on kodiak why don't more guys hold out for that once in a lifetime bear to go with the once in a lifetime tag?
    please note i'm not bashin' anyone who's shot a small bear on kodiak, not my intent at all. looking more or less for some reasoning why it happens. you'd think it would be the other way around a non res paying huge bucks would be more worried about going home with nothing than a resident would...just curious for some imput from guys who've either been in the situtation or have thoughts on it.
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

  2. #2
    Member AKDoug's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Talkeetna
    Posts
    5,714

    Default

    I really think that it boils down to residents not being able to judge bear size effectively. I know I can't do it because I haven't seen enough big bears to tell the difference. When a N.R. goes down there he is going with a guide and the guide should be an expert at telling big bears from small ones.

  3. #3

    Default

    Might be a GOOD idea to "re-check" with that bio.
    Males and females need to be computed separately.
    Joe

    Quote Originally Posted by BRWNBR View Post
    Was doing a arcticle a few years back and got to talking with the bio's down on the island, and he brought up the resident skull size average for bears killed was right at 21.5", where non res average was right around 24".
    Got me to thinking...
    why do residents kill small bears on kodiak? we have plenty of small bears around the state if your just lookin' to drill a 7 footer or so, but as hard as it is to draw a tag on kodiak why don't more guys hold out for that once in a lifetime bear to go with the once in a lifetime tag?
    please note i'm not bashin' anyone who's shot a small bear on kodiak, not my intent at all. looking more or less for some reasoning why it happens. you'd think it would be the other way around a non res paying huge bucks would be more worried about going home with nothing than a resident would...just curious for some imput from guys who've either been in the situtation or have thoughts on it.

  4. #4

    Default

    Might want to check the actual difference between average skull sizes of males and females harvested on resident vs non-resident hunts.
    Joe
    Quote Originally Posted by AKDoug View Post
    I really think that it boils down to residents not being able to judge bear size effectively. I know I can't do it because I haven't seen enough big bears to tell the difference. When a N.R. goes down there he is going with a guide and the guide should be an expert at telling big bears from small ones.

  5. #5
    Member BRWNBR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Big Lake
    Posts
    8,457

    Default

    JOE!! your still around!! i'm not re-checking to make this a pin point question, i'm just asking for guys opinions who are residents who've hunted there or for some train of though...kinda like i posted orginally.
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

  6. #6
    Member akiceman25's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Two Rivers, AK
    Posts
    1,284

    Default

    I've talked with a few guys prior to their Kodiak hunts and they've all said they planned on taking the first legal bear that presented itself.

    I've never drew the tag myself but I feel I would probably do the same thing.

    Not having a guide there to tell me..'No...wait for a bigger one' would probably be the huge factor. Those words would give confidence to the average hunter.

    Also, I would feel completely successful taking a 7 ft bear on Kodiak if I was to accomplish that with out the help of anyone.

    Why wait for a larger bear that may/may not show itself?
    I am serious... and don't call me Shirley.

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KM2K7sV-K74

  7. #7
    Member ramhunter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Wasilla
    Posts
    699

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AKDoug View Post
    I really think that it boils down to residents not being able to judge bear size effectively. I know I can't do it because I haven't seen enough big bears to tell the difference. When a N.R. goes down there he is going with a guide and the guide should be an expert at telling big bears from small ones.
    That's it..."residents not being able to judge bear size effectively"....also not knowing where the big ones hang out! Guides have alot more experience judging them, how to hunt/stock them, where to find them and what time to hunt them…….

    Judging bears is very easy once you figure it out!, and that just takes a lot of experience, most of the time!.....back when I started hunting bear, I killed some hogs, till I walked up on them!....oops!

    Most everyone as high hopes of getting a Monster Kodiak before they get there!....it’s just a lot tuffer out there hunting, then setting around thinking about it!....grin

    However, Joe forgot more than I know about it….your thoughts?

  8. #8

    Default

    Just suggesting that before posing the question of why residents shoot such "small bears" might consider seeing what non-resident guided hunters are averaging.
    Certainly no point in "re-checking" unless accuracy is an issue.
    Joe
    Quote Originally Posted by BRWNBR View Post
    JOE!! your still around!! i'm not re-checking to make this a pin point question, i'm just asking for guys opinions who are residents who've hunted there or for some train of though...kinda like i posted orginally.

  9. #9
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Somewhere between lucky and extremely lucky
    Posts
    592

    Default

    Interesting data. I wonder what the difference if between fall vs. spring bears. I've applied every year, but continually debate whether to put in for fall or spring.

    Here's my take as a resident: if I get drawn in the fall, I can hopefully coordinate hunting deer, goat and bear all in the same trip, meaning I'm going to try and get the most bang for my buck/boar/billy. I know the argument, focus on one species and all that, but the thought of harvesting a billy, buck and bear in one trip is enticing. The size of the bear wouldn't be as important to me, although I'd set my minimum bar at 8'. I can tell the difference between a boar and a sow, a 20" vs. 24", but maybe not a 24" vs. 25".

    Akdoug's probably on to something, a bear guide certainly has more expertise than most, and can field judge bears at quite a distance. Someone who isn't as sure, and decides to close the gap on an unsuspecting bruin will often be more likely to make them bigger at 100 yards through a scope...then end up proud of a 7' bear.

    Or, us residents eat everything we kill, and size isn't important, its the quality of the table fare that matters.
    Experience is the name every one gives to their mistakes. ~Wilde

  10. #10
    Member ramhunter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Wasilla
    Posts
    699

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by wantj43 View Post
    Just suggesting that before posing the question of why residents shoot such "small bears" might consider seeing what non-resident guided hunters are averaging.
    Certainly no point in "re-checking" unless accuracy is an issue.
    Joe
    laffing'....C'mon Joe, there's not a man alive that knows more about hunting Kodaik bears then you!....you know why, most are inexperienced, and shoot smaller bears and sows....I'm not saying this is a bad thing, just why the skull size is smaller!

  11. #11
    Member AKDoug's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Talkeetna
    Posts
    5,714

    Default

    Just suggesting that before posing the question of why residents shoot such "small bears" might consider seeing what non-resident guided hunters are averaging.
    Joe, Jake said in his first post that non-residents are averaging roughly 24" bears.

  12. #12

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sockeye1 View Post

    "... a bear guide certainly has more expertise than most, and can field judge bears at quite a distance. Someone who isn't as sure, and decides to close the gap on an unsuspecting bruin will often be more likely to make them bigger at 100 yards through a scope...then end up proud of a 7' bear..."
    Well before there is a "whole lot of 'chest thumping" on the part of some guides - they may just want to review some of the harvest statistics.
    Joe

  13. #13
    Member BRWNBR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Big Lake
    Posts
    8,457

    Default

    when i got the data, non res were averaging 24" skulls, which is what i put in the OP. the thread is more for imput on hunters thoughts rather than nailing down specifics to limit the question.

    .....waiting for chest thumpin.....no nope nothing. and why would there be on a question like this. i'm a resident, someday i hope to have a tag for kodiak....don't read into it to much joe.
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

  14. #14

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BRWNBR View Post
    when i got the data, non res were averaging 24" skulls, which is what i put in the OP. the thread is more for imput on hunters thoughts rather than nailing down specifics to limit the question.

    .....waiting for chest thumpin.....no nope nothing. and why would there be on a question like this. i'm a resident, someday i hope to have a tag for kodiak....don't read into it to much joe.
    "...Got me to thinking...
    why do residents kill small bears on kodiak?.
    ..". See your point - I thought you were suggesting residents are killing a lot smaller bears than non-residents. Sorry will try to read your posting more closely in the future.

  15. #15
    Member BRWNBR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Big Lake
    Posts
    8,457

    Default

    read it more closely? i thought you went over all my posts several times already...
    i guess my question was...
    why do residents kill small bears on kodiak.....?
    i didn't say they all kill small bears, just wanted to know why the guys who drew a tag go down there and kill small bears when we have other opportunity around the state to kill similar bears, but not as many areas around the state to kill monsters like some of the ones on kodiak.

    is anyone else having trouble with this?
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

  16. #16
    Member RANGER RICK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Homer Alaska
    Posts
    704

    Default

    Jake

    I pulled a tag for Kodiak a few years back and wanted to get at least a 8 foot bear but would of settled for a smaller one or even a larger one if I would of seen one . I just wanted a Kodiak bear . Will get one !!!!

    RR
    Practice does not make perfect !!!!!
    Perfect Practice makes perfect !!!!!!!!!!


    USS SARATOGA CV-60

    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...ex_2-1-1-1.gif

  17. #17
    Member BRWNBR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Big Lake
    Posts
    8,457

    Default

    rick i think you may have nailed some of it with "kodiak" bear....its a unique hunt and animal i think the names sometimes might mean more than the numbers.
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

  18. #18
    Member AKDoug's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Talkeetna
    Posts
    5,714

    Default

    I may be an Alaskan resident, but I am about as equiped (skill wise) as a guy from the Lower 48 when it comes to hunting coastal bears. I think that I probably represent 90% of licensed resident hunters. I don't even put in for the tags because I am clueless on those bears and it's still a lot of money to spend on an animal like that.

  19. #19
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    North pole Alaska
    Posts
    178

    Default

    Have you ever thought that maybe it is not a once in a time life tag? most of the people that I know have been down thier more than once and have shot both big and small bears by choice. A primed out 7 foot bear with 6" long hair looks really nice hung over the back of a chair. We always make it a nice combo hunt after all our other hunts are done for the year. Shoot a few deer go fishing and if we feel like it shoot a bear. This year I shot a 7 foot bear and did not feel the least bit bad about it but I also shot a 36" ram a 55" moose and a couple deer and my ten year old son did almost as well but his moose was only 49". So why did I not shoot a 45" sheep and a 70" moose maybe I'm kind of fat and lazy or realy do not like hunt all that hard!

  20. #20
    Member BRWNBR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Big Lake
    Posts
    8,457

    Default

    well no one is assuming you are fat and lazy because of what size bear you shoot.
    i wondered if this question would light some fires.... you hear of guys hunting elk on the indian reservation in new mexico or mule deer on the kibab, whitetail in sask. and theres kodiak bears, the potential for a huge bear is there and i was curious for those who had gone what the mindset was that they felt like taking a smaller bear instead of waiting for something bigger was the way to go...?
    i realize its not literally a lifetime tag for for some it is, i don't know anyone personally...no wait, i do know one guy who's hunted bear there more than once.
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •