Thread: Rainbows through the Ice

Default Rainbows through the Ice

I am looking for some advice on trout through the ice. My oldest is going on a Boy Scouting snow camping/ice fishing trip the last weekend of January. The lake is very full of Rainbows with a few Browns on very rare occasion. (As a sidenote it is also full of yellow perch which should be fairly easy to catch.) Any advice on lures for the trout would be much appreciated.

Regards,
    Nate

Quote Originally Posted by pugetsound View Post
    I am looking for some advice on trout through the ice. My oldest is going on a Boy Scouting snow camping/ice fishing trip the last weekend of January. The lake is very full of Rainbows with a few Browns on very rare occasion. (As a sidenote it is also full of yellow perch which should be fairly easy to catch.) Any advice on lures for the trout would be much appreciated.

Regards,
    Nate
    I prefer to use anything made by custom jigs and spins. Ratso,rat finkee,shrimpo,popee,slender spoons.
    I also like the berkley atomic teaser tube jig in a white color. Swedish pimples can work ok at times as well.
    I tip them with raw shrimp or single salmon eggs. Cured Skein eggs work well at times also
    Roust-A-Bout lure company
    Handcrafted fishing lures made right here in Alaska!
    Roust-a-boutlures@hotmail.com

For rainbows I have good luck with a gold headed jig with a white rubber tail on it. 1 1/2" MAX total length. Tip with a bit of shrimp and dont over jig it just twitchs..

Throw a jig with a piece of shrimp down there and do so with another rig with Pautzke salmon eggs. Let it sit. Rainbows aren't big on jigging, IMO.
    "Ya can't stop a bad guy with a middle finger and a bag of quarters!!!!"- Ted Nugent.

Thanks for the replies all. We are in Seattle going to Fish Lake which is 20 miles NW of Leavenworth. It should be a good trip.

Regards
    Nate

I like to jig one rod with a lure and "dead stick" the other with bait as well. That way you get a feel for what they like better that day. Good luck!
    "If your not the lead dog.... the view never changes"

Dont forget some flies!!!! Bead head whooly buggers in green or black, prince nymphs, hairs ear etc. I was catching them the other day w/ a friends kid using eggs and power eggs(stay on the hook better) too. Dardevils works jigging in red white, yellow w/ blk diamonds and the blue pink trout imitation are my favs. Hopefully you get into them fat browns in the early winter!!! my favorite.

What size of Dardevils? Also I was wondering about flies because I saw some from another site I frequent that seemed like they had a lot of potential.

Daredevils size Id say quantity smaller, or quality bigger, ie bigger lure bigger fish they say! The treble hooks are hard on fish if your thowing them back so I rarely use the smaller ones. My wife had on a 1oz or so on 8lb test a few weeks ago and the fish took the lure and snapped the line in no time. So if you go bigger use bigger line too!
    Have fun

Quote Originally Posted by alaskanassasin View Post
    I like to jig one rod with a lure and "dead stick" the other with bait as well. That way you get a feel for what they like better that day. Good luck!
    Thats what we did out on sand lake and I got more hits on the Swedish pimple with shrimp. I was a lil excited so i kept missing them and i had one come off at the hole. Gold color i had seemed to work better than the rest i had but i was switching every 15 mins trying to figure out the fish since it was my first time ice fishing. We fished bout an hr and a half and had 3 hits one, came off and my son reeled one in. They were small of course. plus they were people drilling holes the entire time. Is that normal or was that pretty slow?

thx

Quote Originally Posted by poarch0 View Post
    ....plus they were people drilling holes the entire time. Is that normal or was that pretty slow?

thx
    I have actually had great success just after drilling my holes. I have had some nice fish hit my jigs literally minutes after drilling a hole. I have even drilled holes to test if they would still hit and they did. When I hear people drill around me I get jigging because more times than not the fish come.

Quote Originally Posted by AKnook View Post
    I have actually had great success just after drilling my holes. I have had some nice fish hit my jigs literally minutes after drilling a hole. I have even drilled holes to test if they would still hit and they did. When I hear people drill around me I get jigging because more times than not the fish come.
    That explains why they were hitting my pole, more i was jigging it and just left my sons sitting there.

"That's right boys, brings us the fish." Quote from 900Fusion a couple of ice fishing trips ago when hearing two augers drilling a little bit aways from our hut. You would think that they get scared but they may be curious. I read an article in an ice fishing magazine where this one man will wait for two hours after drilling a hole to "settle" the area he is fishing. Maybe they fish in the lower forty eight are more skiddish...I dunno. What I know is that I don't get discouraged when I hear an auger drill in Alaska.

Quote Originally Posted by pike_palace View Post
    Throw a jig with a piece of shrimp down there and do so with another rig with Pautzke salmon eggs. Let it sit. Rainbows aren't big on jigging, IMO.
    I too like to dead stick for them..I use a cocktail of nitro floating eggs and shrimp. Just let it sit near the bottom.
    http://www.myfishingpictures.com/watermark.php?file=133776
    Jedi Salmon Powers Activated!
    www.alaskansalmonslayers.com

Quote Originally Posted by JediMasterSalmonSlayer View Post
    I too like to dead stick for them..I use a cocktail of nitro floating eggs and shrimp. Just let it sit near the bottom.
    Sry for all the questions but how deep do you fish?

it would be fun for the boys to see the fish below, thats half the fun right? so if you can find a ledge and hang on the edge of it say about 6-10' then they can see the fish and see them hit the lure too!
    If you know the lake you can get a topo of the lake your fishing it might help you decide where to go! or look for other holes in the ice. They dont always mean fish but they might!
    I never fished fish lake when living in Everett so dont any places sorry
    Last edited by zfisher; 01-05-2012 at 19:20. Reason: sp

http://www.coveresortatfishlake.com/topomap.htm

So for you all you use the topo to your advantage, where would you think to set up? I am going to assume that where lots of people are fishing is probably a good area and I know the trout tend to hang out in the SW portion of the lake during the fall, but you can catch virtually anyplace on the lake as well.

Quote Originally Posted by poarch0 View Post
    Thats what we did out on sand lake and I got more hits on the Swedish pimple with shrimp. I was a lil excited so i kept missing them and i had one come off at the hole. Gold color i had seemed to work better than the rest i had but i was switching every 15 mins trying to figure out the fish since it was my first time ice fishing. We fished bout an hr and a half and had 3 hits one, came off and my son reeled one in. They were small of course. plus they were people drilling holes the entire time. Is that normal or was that pretty slow?

thx

Mostly the fish swim around cruising for food. Some may hang around but mostly in numbers they're on the move. They come and they go so the trick is to draw them over to your bait and get them to bite while their in the area. Experiment with colors and baits till you have success. And yes ice augers can definitely increase the action. In fact if it's really slow sometimes I'll poke a couple holes just to see... good luck
    "If your not the lead dog.... the view never changes"

for the boy scouters I'd try the east end about 10-20ft. Hopefully it will be clear and you'll be able to see them. If they dont care to see them try the middle where that rise is in the deep part or over on the sw side with that little bit of rise also. Usually you want to find a sudden drop in the ground and fish that edge. The big ones come up from the dark deep safe places to get the smaller baitfish but thats a summer time fishing analogy, I still try to use it on ice too. Good luck. Have you ever fished up north near Concrete @ Ross or Diablo lake? those are soem real fun conoe trips if interested!