Thread: Bullet needs crimping.

Default Bullet needs crimping.

Hey I was doing some reloading last night, and when I went to put the bullet in most of them were tight, like normal, but 2 i think were so loose I could pull them out by hand part way, I have a little crimping gizmo on my reloading set, but I don't now how much to crimp it. (the bullets do have crimp lines)

if anybody has experience with this that would be good.

Thanks
    Eccleasties 8:11 Because the sentence against an evil deed is not executed quickly, There for the hearts of the sons of men among them are given fully to do evil.

What ammo are you loading, for what kind of gun, what bullet and what powder charge? Heavy bullets in big handguns need a lot of crimp and bolt rifles may not need any at all provided you have a tight enough bullit fit after sizing. Autos need at least enough to keep the bullet from getting set back in the action as it gets pushed in. Then there are powders that need a crimp to hang onto the bullet longer and give them a chance to light better. So the detales of what you are doing will matter as to how much crimp you want.

Assuming you are working on 308, 30-06, your 7.62X54R or something in a bolt rifle all you “need” is enough that they stay put for you, not un-seat through normal handling. Then you always want consistency, the amount of force needed to start the bullet moving will affect accuracy (due to powder burn time curve) so you want them all the same as best as you can get.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

Like AD says, it depends on the details of What you're loading, whether you need a crimp, or if it's even desirable.

Bullets should NOT be loose in the necks, whether they are crimped or not. More info is needed

Are you using the "Lee Loader" to load these rounds?

Let us know, because those work a little different from other handloading tools.

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

I had some 338 loads that did not seat tight. I was not sizing the neck far enough down and was only getting half of the neck tight around the bullet. Seems to me if some are tight and some are not it is a case prep issue or and should be solved there.

My experience with trying to crimp with seating die has been bad. I can never get it just right. I use the Lee factory crimp die when I think I need it and am happy with the consistency and ease of use. Of course this is for rifles. Handguns may be different.

its 30-06 54 grains of superformance 190 grain interlock, using the lee classic loader, although I am using a separate scale and a few other things such as a funnel for putting the powder in.....but the neck sizing and putting the bullet in and primer in and pretty much everything other than the powder is with the loader. I think I found the problem, when I pounded them in there was a wee bit of lint up in there, and the cases didn't go 100 percent all the way in and I got it out and the 6 I loaded this evening were good.
    Eccleasties 8:11 Because the sentence against an evil deed is not executed quickly, There for the hearts of the sons of men among them are given fully to do evil.

yupper, that darned ole' belly button lint stopping up the works again. Happens to all of us at some time. Mischief managed.

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

Quote Originally Posted by FurFishGame View Post
    its 30-06 54 grains of superformance 190 grain interlock, using the lee classic loader, although I am using a separate scale and a few other things such as a funnel for putting the powder in.....but the neck sizing and putting the bullet in and primer in and pretty much everything other than the powder is with the loader. I think I found the problem, when I pounded them in there was a wee bit of lint up in there, and the cases didn't go 100 percent all the way in and I got it out and the 6 I loaded this evening were good.
    Regular sizing dies squeeze the neck down MORE than necessary, and a button comes back through sizing the neck again from the inside, to a diameter less than the bullet diameter.

The Lee Loader only sizes the neck from the outside, and to a diameter that is spose to leave the inside diameter less than the bullet diameter.

You can see that with the Lee Loader, if your case necks are thinner than the norm, you would have less neck tension, than when sizing with a standard die.

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

You probably don't want to hear this, but you should consider buying a press and some real loading dies. The stuff your using does work to a certain degree but you will have better luck with a real press and dies. You should be able to get a used press for $25 or less and used dies in the popular calibers usually run $15/$20 per set. The frustrations you are experiencing with the Lee Loaders and a club arent worth the cost of some used equiptment. If you have bullets loose in the neck, crimping isn't the answer. Better dies and a press is the right fix.

after laying into reloading the 45 and having nothing but issues i am throwing in the towel, no more reloading....i hate my life. i'm gonna go spend the rest of my money on a x box and video games. not really. although i am gonna get "real" reloading stuff as the funds come along. cause I'm starting to get annoyed with not much going right, plus any time its warm i am crazy busy and i haven't even shot my loads since the report I made on here 2 or 3 weeks ago

Rbuck - do you have a link for these used presses at $25? I'll take 5 of them!