Thread: Worth of '03 Mountain Cat 570 for salvage

Default Worth of '03 Mountain Cat 570 for salvage

Well I got the bad news from folks I trust that the engine is fried on my Mountain Cat. Pen. Power Sports wants 2 grand to fix it and I said no for obvious reasons.
    The machine is in aesthetically pleasing condition: no seat tears, cowling has no cracks or scratches, tunnel good, skis good, track and slides good, suspension is fine, under the hood it looks almost new. I want to take this machine down to Verbas to see if they will buy it for salvage; what do you think it is worth?

The chassis is worth $1000 to the right person. That right person would have a 570 engine on hand. Do you want me to check and see if I can find a motor for you? I might know where a couple might be. The change to nikasil cylinders on most post 2000 snowmachines has completely driven the cost of rebuilds right out the window. On my machines with cast iron cylinders my kids have seized them and we are only out a couple pistons and a hone on the cylinder. Nikasil will hardly take any abuse and once they are scored they are done and cost several hundred dollars per cylinder.

What seems to wrong with the motor? Pistons? Crank? I can't see $2000.00 unless the motor is COMPLETY shot along with high labor cost to fix. I know there are forum members on here along with I that could get you back down the trail for less then half of that if the motor isn't completly shot...

Cylinders are $250 each plus shipping from a couple online vendors. Piston and gasket set is $215ish plus shipping. I could have it together in a few hours. You are looking at $715 in parts. Judging from your previous posts about this sled, I can't imagine what else could be wrong with it.

BTW... I don't think $2000 is out of line to do this work using only Cat parts and today's shop rates. Most dealers will only use factory new parts and I can't blame them.

Get the motor to me and I can get it to Doug...

Hey, thanks Doug and Steve. I appreciate the responses.
    I felt that with shop rates at $90ph, and parts being expensive as they are, $2000 was about right, but I think I am done with this sled. I have never really enjoyed it much due to it being problematic and with geometry that didn't feel right for me. It was free, as it was given to me. I've always been a Polaris guy anyway, plus I don't have any extra cash for fixing it. So I'll let someone else rebuild the engine and enjoy it... or the parts.
    Steve

WHAT? You said the "P" word,lol! Anyways, good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by trailblazersteve View Post
    WHAT? You said the "P" word,lol! Anyways, good luck!
    Well, I have another AC which I like just fine. I have had SkiDoos, and Yamahas... most ran just fine (except for the Skandic I had which was a piece of crap!). Currently all of my running machines are from the 90s and one from the 80s and they all run OK, haul wood, take me into ice fishing lakes, etc.

I think I might ask $500 for the machine at Verbas. I'm pretty sure they can double that at least in parts sales, or drop a new engine in it and triple that. Maybe I'm off base, but I gotta go pick it up today so I'll give it a try.

Right after I was done typing my last response my friend the local Cat dealer walked in. Off the cuff he said you are looking at a little over $1000 for a top end rebuild if that's the only problem. (cylinder, pistons, gaskets). He also added that it won't cure the problem. The '03 570 Mtn Cats had issues with low altitude. The exhaust and CDI were changed to get another 5hp out of them and they had some real issues running at mid-throttle. He says the fix is to change to the 570 Bearcat CDI and exhaust which adds more $$$.

Quote Originally Posted by sayak View Post
    I think I might ask $500 for the machine at Verbas. I'm pretty sure they can double that at least in parts sales, or drop a new engine in it and triple that. Maybe I'm off base, but I gotta go pick it up today so I'll give it a try.
    I hate to say it but most likely $250 max, if more let me know as I have a couple of parts sleds to get rid of......I was about to make you an offer then I realized it was a fan....I am in need of a water cooled chassis, ZR, ZL, Mt Cat, '97 to '03. If any one knows where there is decent one let me know. Have a good water cooled 440 motor complete.

Quote Originally Posted by Dupont Spinner View Post
    I hate to say it but most likely $250 max, if more let me know as I have a couple of parts sleds to get rid of......I was about to make you an offer then I realized it was a fan....I am in need of a water cooled chassis, ZR, ZL, Mt Cat, '97 to '03. If any one knows where there is decent one let me know. Have a good water cooled 440 motor complete.
    Well then I was lucky. I got $450 for it, though I probably could have gotten more by parting it out. I'm happy to be done with it.
    A guy wants to sell me a cherry, garaged-its-whole-life '96 Polaris 500 EFI for $200.

$200 !!! Jump on it. I have that same sled, plus a couple other Indy 500's. One of the best sleds ever. The EFI isn't as good as the carbed ones, but it works.

I kind of knew from your last post that something was seriously wrong, when others were theorizing that all was fine. You'll like that EFI 500. The polaris Fuji engine was a monoblock with port pistons. The port pistons don't require reeds.........the engine has no reeds! I don't know what this helps, but the simplicity of the 500 allows for superb longevity.

I remember back in the mid 90's my cousin had the EFI polaris 500, it had a black cowling I believe. I vividly remember him pulling his large ice house off the lake with it. My father has a 1997 trail touring deluxe with the fan cooled motor. He's had it since it was new in 1997 with no problems with the motor. I've put about 3,500 miles on my 500 liquid, no major issues. I'm hoping to make it to 10,000 miles before I buy another sled. Make sure to run some fuel cleaner through that EFI.

Quote Originally Posted by AKDoug View Post
    $200 !!! Jump on it. I have that same sled, plus a couple other Indy 500's. One of the best sleds ever. The EFI isn't as good as the carbed ones, but it works.
    Keep a good battery in it!!!!!!!!!!!! If you even suspect that the battery is not 100% that is when it will bite you.

100% battery; I've heard about that with the EFI. I've never owned anything but a carburated machine and was told that there is no "limp home" capability on those EFI machines. That would make me nervous...

The early EFI's including the Cat were very finicky about having 12 volts to get them started. It can be lower but when it's cold out how low is the question.

At 200 bucks, jump on it. If it has sat without running for more then 2 seasons dump the fuel before even thinking about starting it. If it was run last season add sea foam and a good octane boost. Do keep an eye on the plugs for the 1st couple of rides to make sure the crank seals are still ok. The PTO side mostly.