Thread: Hall Road in October

Default Hall Road in October

To all who read / respond.
    First off I have been lucky enough to hunt the Hall road by bow the last two years, i have been even luckier to get a BOU both years. I have gone around the 3rd week in August both years. Due to work this year i have to go either the first week in August or later. I was curious to know if anyone has bow hunted in Ocotber up there? What is the weather like? and roughly where can I expect to find the caribou? Any information on this would be very helpfull. Thanks and let your arrows fly true.

Default Oct

Thats when we hunt, Take my advice and stay away from Columbus Day weekend, it will be a freak show. We have seen temps as high as the low 30's and lows down to -40. Have seen bou south of the pass and as far north as Prudhoe bay. So the bottom line is you should exspect almost anything. Keep in mind that by Oct all the bulls will be rutting badly, meat is non edible, so only shoot really small bulls or cows.

Thumbs up October

I have hunted off the Haul Road 3-4 times now in October. My trips occurred between Oct 8 and October 20th or so. Based on my limited experience I can tell you these things. The weather will usually be cold(!), I have experienced nights lower than -20 F on most trips, and days near or below zero. Last year was the exception, it never got colder than 16 F at night and days were in the +30-40's. An odd year, no doubt.
    The caribou in the cold years were as far south as Galbraith Lake with some along the West Fork Atigun. Last year (warm) there was not much of anything south of Sag River DOT station (~Mile 312). The caribou were pretty scarce last year, probably due to the warm temps, although there were still some small groups near the road.
    To sum up, count on cold but expect anything. The more wintry it is, the further south you can expect to find the caribou. Finally, the worse the weather is, the fewer number of hunters tend to be up there.
    Have fun and good luck.
    Oh yeah, I have seen griz out as late as Oct 20th or so, even in the cold years, so keep an eye out.
    Blair

Default thanks

Guys thanks for you feedback. Please keep it coming.

expect cold and the bou will be rutty and not fit to eat from my experience for early oct and it takes a while to get out of their system. cows would probably be ok.
    RETIRED U.S.A.F. CAPT.; LIFETIME MEMBER NRA; LIFETIME MEMBER ALASKA BOWHUNTER ASSOC.
    MASTER BOWHUNTER EDUCATION INSTRUCTOR; MEMBER UNITED BLOOD TRACKERS; POPE & YOUNG MEASURER

OCT= COW hunt
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK