Thread: Marten?

Default Marten?

Anyone know were to find marten in unit 14a? Just looking to get a few skins nothing serious.
    I've looked in a few places and haven't found any sign.

you mean hunting wise? just like anything, drive down back roads the morning of a frost, cut a fresh set of tracks with no snow in um and follow um up. this has nothing to do with marten, but for grouse, we find there tracks and follow um to the next tree and they are usually sitting under it.....I think the same thing would work for marten, works for fox, bears moose, coyote, deer anything. BTW last year I only cut one set of tracks and they were old, out past big lake.
    Eccleasties 8:11 Because the sentence against an evil deed is not executed quickly, There for the hearts of the sons of men among them are given fully to do evil.

If you plan on hunting a marten, be sure to get a trapping license. I am pretty sure you are not allowed to hunt a marten with a hunting license. In fact, I have never heard of anybody hunting a marten period. But if you successful hunting one, just be sure to tell us all how you did it. I am sure a lot of us would like to know.

I have a license and I know the difference between all three and I know the regs. The question was were to find them not how to be legal taking them!

Quote Originally Posted by Bushwhack Jack View Post
    If you plan on hunting a marten, be sure to get a trapping license. I am pretty sure you are not allowed to hunt a marten with a hunting license. In fact, I have never heard of anybody hunting a marten period. But if you successful hunting one, just be sure to tell us all how you did it. I am sure a lot of us would like to know.
    My friends uncle does as i described, he can get 5 in a week end
    Eccleasties 8:11 Because the sentence against an evil deed is not executed quickly, There for the hearts of the sons of men among them are given fully to do evil.

If your after a pelt or two, I would recommend trying to trap them rather than hunt. I don't know about in Unit 14 - but the marten in Southeast AK are pretty much nocturnal. I've spent a heap of time outside and have only seen one when the sun has been up (Density in SEAK is also likely higher than 14A). There are fresh tracks everywhere the morning after a fresh skiff of snow but I imagine they will almost always see/hear/smell you coming before you see them.

Duchmn, Good luck with that! Attitude like that you can continue to find your own Marten.

I would agree with the last.
    Trapping, hunting and fishing are all the same no one will give up a spot over an open net. If you are real lucky they may give you a general area to look and then its up to you to do you own tracking and locating.

Attitude from a new member will never go unchecked
    Just a little friendly support.

Sweepint
    Wasilla, (when not overseas)
    '' Livn' The Dream ''
    26' Hewescraft Cuddy, twin 115 Yam

There is not single reason I can think of to shoot a marten. You'll drop its value to that of a snot rag in seconds....matter of fact, it should not be legal, IMO, to shoot marten. Heck we cant even shoot beaver and they arent worth a quarter of what a marten is worth!!

Quote Originally Posted by dkwarthog View Post
    There is not single reason I can think of to shoot a marten. You'll drop its value to that of a snot rag in seconds....matter of fact, it should not be legal, IMO, to shoot marten. Heck we cant even shoot beaver and they arent worth a quarter of what a marten is worth!!
    except for the challenge, just like shooting a grizz for the pelt (which I would no to) and any thing like that, a marten is a heck of a thing to track down and shoot. I bet folks say the same thing about walking up fox or coyotes when you could trap them. trapping is cool, but you could snare deer too, if you wanted. I think the challenge of running down marten would be a heck of a rush and if you did that every weekend your get is real good shape. just like running coons and such things. a 22 solid doesn't make much of a hole in a mart ten pelt, I know form experience

A few seconds after I wrote this post I realized I should have worded it a little different and that I had posted it
    in the small game hunting forum not the the trapping forum. A very friendly and helpful person in the trapping forum
    answered my question so it doesn't mater anymore. To you guys who think you are special because you have been participating in this
    forum longer than others then you are truly special !! This was the first time had posted anything on this forum and the last! Hey bushwhack, sniper, and sweepint **** YOU !!!

I'm sorry to hear you won't continue to post in this fine forum. Gee whiz, I was only saying maybe a better approach to asking a question would have gained better results and/or getting the gift of a decent location.
    When you come off the way you did it only makes you appear to be hollier than thou type. People were giving decent takes on their reading of the reg's and how to better/legally go about getting you your Marten. Many people have put in the leg work to find what their looking for and don't give up info very easy after being burned once or twice, hence why you didn't get grid coordinates to a honey hole of Marten bliss. As for the last sentence of your last post. NO Thanks I want no part of where your coming from. Have yourself a good day and go out and put a hurt'in on them Marten.