Thread: Lyman Globe Front Sights

Kenai, Alaska

Default Lyman Globe Front Sights

Anyone use these?

I was concidering trying one on my 45/70 to go along with my peep sight. Or something like it.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default globe front

Well, that stirred up as much interest as good loads for a 308 Win
    I use several different types of aperture rear and globe front sights. Some like them some don't. Within the general "iron sight" category none are more accurate than the aperture and globe. But, there are differences in how the combination works and for which application. Only the shooter can ge the judge.

For hunting, I prefer a fairly large rear aperture- and that depends upon where it is placed on the gun... tang (closest to eye), receiver, ghost ring, etc. For the globe insert I like the fairly thin post with a med. sized ball on top.

For serious target work, again, the size of the aperture has to be judged against the range and size of the target bull. Likewise, the globe insert has to give the best sight picture and most precise alignment. For most target work I like a globe insert that is a fairly thin "loop" (ring on a post) that, as viewed when shooting, fits well within the aperture AND shows some white around the black bull. All this seems to give me the most accurate picture and alignment. I notice that the choice of inserts provided in your link are few and neither of the types I mentioned are shown. There are other inserts available for the Lyman globe but only the shooter can say which works best. All in all the combination of rear aperture (peep) and front globe can be the best for accurate, non-scope shooting.

Kachemak Bay Alaska

I use a Ron Heilman Globe for my Sharps rifles. With a spirit level and little skylight. When your tang peep goes up 3 inches in the back, you need to be certain that your rifle is not canted one way of the other.
    Having a trajectory like a rainbow has drawbacks at times.
    Floatplane,Tailwheel and Firearms Instructor- Dragonfly Aero
    Experimental Hand-Loader, NRA Life Member