Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hewescraft Alaskan 24' storage (lack of)

Default Hewescraft Alaskan 24' storage (lack of)

I've been racking my brain about what I can do to make more storage on my Hewescraft. For the long weekend trips there is just not enough storage to put everything. Any ideas??? I have a Dingy that I strap to the roof, other then that it's a plain Hewescraft Alaskan 24'.
    Any thought would be greatly appreciated.

I'm in the same boat as you but 2 feet longer. No storage room at all. Two things I did was remove the ice box and put in a wood floor and smaller shelf in that space. I couldn't belive how much wasted space was in there. Also, If you have the head, you can put a shelf towards the top. There is already one little ledge on the outer wall. Just rivet some small aluminum angle on the other 2 sides and slide in a piece of plywood. Great little space for odds and ends. If ya figure out anything cool, be sure to let us know....

Rob
    27' Wooldridge Super Sport Offshore Pilothouse PRIME TIME!
    Kodiak Custom Fishing Tackle Pro Staff
    Heavy Hitter Fishing Crew
    MMSI# 338232859

any room under the floor in them things? maybe cut some hatches in the floor and gain storage there??

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692

My OP had shelf’s that were pretty much worthless, nothing would stay in place in rough water.
    I made the bottom shelf wider so a magazine would lay in it without folding, then drilled the bottom corners and slid a 1/4 rod thru (bicycle flag rod) which holds the looped bottom of a cargo net in place, the net corner loops are fastened at the top near the ceiling. The cargo net holds shelf items in place and works like a bag for other items. Net and rod purchased at Walmart

The small shelf you see at the bottom of the picture is about 2-3 in wide and runs to the rear bulkhead.
    I cut mine off even with the aft edge of the pilots seat box and removed it all the way to the bulkhead leaving only the portion beside the front seats. This made the space behind the passenger benches much more usefull. That little shelf steals an unbelievable amount of space. Sorry I don't have a better picture.

I haven’t made them yet but I’m thinking of a water proof box, like the pilots seat base box, on the back deck against the bulkhead, would work as storage space, a seat, and a step up to the gunnels or to reach rods in the rocket launcher. Right now I have a tool box/step/seat is there, brother Ben is setting on it. Your bulkhead door might be a problem on the one side.

I really like the idea of removing the little shelf behind the seats. Stuff gets lost back there anyway. Hmmm. I think I'll check it out today. Thanks for the tip.
    MMSI# 338232859

Steve- I was thinking the same thing. Right now I am at work but when I get home I think I will take a look under the floor. I think that overtons sells hatches. Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by potbuilder View Post
    any room under the floor in them things? maybe cut some hatches in the floor and gain storage there??

Hmm. I like what you did here. I think I will put this to use. Thanks for the tip.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonsboat View Post
    My OP had shelf’s that were pretty much worthless, nothing would stay in place in rough water.
    I made the bottom shelf wider so a magazine would lay in it without folding, then drilled the bottom corners and slid a 1/4 rod thru (bicycle flag rod) which holds the looped bottom of a cargo net in place, the net corner loops are fastened at the top near the ceiling. The cargo net holds shelf items in place and works like a bag for other items. Net and rod purchased at Walmart

Rob- I do have a head. It always seems like it ends up as a rod/gear storage area when we are headed out. There is a lot that can be done with that space without taking up too much space to use the head. That was the big selling point for my wife. We could get a boat but it ad to have a head. haha whatever makes mama happy right? I'm thinking of some shelving in there also. I will keep the wheels in my head turning about this and let you all know.
    Thanks

We live out of coolers and totes in our 26'. Also, we stash all shore camping gear in a large drybag and lash that to the roof, along with our nesting shrimp pots.

open bow converted.jpg
    Here is what one guy did to his open bow. But it prevents access to your 1 or 2 hatches on the Hewescraft. Also on the Hewescraft the walkthorugh door swings out below the windshield too and would not work. But it is an interesting way to store an extra cooler.

Sobie2

Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!

Quote Originally Posted by Vek View Post
    We live out of coolers and totes in our 26'. Also, we stash all shore camping gear in a large drybag and lash that to the roof, along with our nesting shrimp pots.
    We do the same. The problem with "available storage space" on the boat is that as soon as more space is made, it is immediately filled up with something. No matter how much space we make on our boat, it will never be enough. We finally got to the realization that we need to be more practical in what we bring. Bring the "must have" stuff relative to the purpose of the trip, but leave the "gee, it might be nice to have" stuff, ie. 1 back up halibut rod may be ok but 4 back-up rods are un-necessary and just in the way. I absolutely hate tripping over stuff in the boat that simply doesn't need to be there.

Roof mounted gun/bow mounts really help. I used the big sky mounts and was very pleased. The mounts bolts through the roof and carried 2 bows and 2 guns or 4 guns at the same time. Easy installation and well worth the $170 bucks for two double mounts. Let me know if you want a picture.

Yep. Pictures wanted. I've seen something like that before, but the picture wasn't the best.
    MMSI# 338232859

Started my own thread.
    Last edited by Rob B; 02-27-2012 at 00:40. Reason: Started my own thread.
    MMSI# 338232859

I was under the impression those were hull stiffeners, are you sure it was benificial to cut them off? I think I would check with Hewes first.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonsboat View Post
    The small shelf you see at the bottom of the picture is about 2-3 in wide and runs to the rear bulkhead.
    I cut mine off even with the aft edge of the pilots seat box and removed it all the way to the bulkhead leaving only the portion beside the front seats.
    2000 Bayliner Ciera Express 2452
    5.0 Mercruiser Alpha 1

I haven't seen them yet, but a bud has been using a couple of dock boxes or lockers for more storage space on long trips. Lots of brands out there and they come in a whole range of sizes with assorted features. He lashes them down wherever they fit best, then gets rid of them and recovers the deck space once the trip is past. He sezz it's the best way he knows to stop accumulating stuff in his boat between trips. A guy could build his own from light plywood and gel coat them or have them fabricated from aluminum. Yeah, you lose some deck space for the time being, but you're going to lose space no matter what with extra gear. At least this way it's out of the cabin, but protected from the elements.

I had the same problem with my 24' Hewescraft. I had the boat lengthened 6', had an aluminum sissy lid put on to cover 3/4 of the deck, moved the fuel tank aft and added in floor storage. Have quite a bit of room now...

I thing the fuel tank takes up most of the room under the floor. I don't think there is much room to add storage in the floor without doing something with the tank.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast