Thread: Hidden or Skilak

Default Hidden or Skilak

Has anyone been fishing either of these lakes recently, was wanting to head down there this weekend, but wanted to make sure that there was some ice available.

Last I knew, Skilak was ice free.
    Your bait stinks and your boat is ugly

Just talked to a trooper today; a truck went through Hidden yesterday or day before. Be careful out there!

thanks for the input, that's pretty crazy people were even thinking about driving on the lake with the crazy weather we have had this year

Not a direct comparison to those 2 monster lakes, but I was out on Stormy Lake (Nikiski) last week and cut 18 inches of ice. The top 4 inches was white crap ice from the bad weather (which was under about 4 inches of snow). Under that was 14 inches of hard, crystal clear ice.
    Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!

Has this cold snap help produce some better ice down on these lakes?

Quote Originally Posted by akwchil View Post
    Has this cold snap help produce some better ice down on these lakes?
    I fished Hidden last weekend. Drove out on the ice with two pickups. Ice was 13.5" and we didnt go to terribly far out onto the ice. Fished for 3 hours. Caught one 19" laker.
    Piscor Ergo Sum

one 19" laker isn't so bad, only 13.5 inches of ice, that is pretty thin for this time of the year. But I have to say that I'm glad to hear that you were able to drive out on the ice

Fished Hidden today. Fished all over, tough day fishing, caught one fish. Sun was out, warm, only one other group on the ice, pretty quiet, pretty awesome, other than the catching. Fished all over, fished all day. Blaming it on the Barometric Pressure. Ice is thick, the overflow is solidifying, but still sloppy in some spots, 24-30" of ice. I wouldnt drive a truck on it unless you want to dig yourself out.
    Piscor Ergo Sum

Thanks for the update Franken Fish, sounds like hidden has been rough this year. Anyone having any luck on Skilak? haven't heard much all year.