Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Griz DLP Evidence

Default Griz DLP Evidence

It's winter so I thought I'd start a thread that MAY inform all those 'what bear defense gun' questions that will start in the spring. Firstly I do not wish to start any caliber or semi vs bolt vs lever vs wheel-gun thread, but more just evidence based information that MAY inform on guns and calibers that have or may work for bear defense. Bottom line to list all known DLP evidence (or attacks where shots were not fired); not stories from your uncle's brother-in-law's second cousin, but eiteher witnessed or documented DLP cases and the firearms or spray used. Just a thread of evidence. A few to start with;

1. Detailed in December 2010 ADF&G HIT Newsletter. 2 ADF&G workers and HIT instructors on a Deer Hunt on Afognak Island. Were suprised by a bear that charged them, no time to get off a stopping shot. One hunter was knocked out while other was attacked by the bear. First hunter came too and saw his partner being 'tossed around like a rag doll'. He fired his 375 H&H, first round had no effect, second round seemed to stun the bear, but the attack continued. Third round and the bear released the guy and died. The hunters walked out and got called emegency services for helo (IIRC) to Kodiak medical center. The one hunter had severe lacerations to butt and thighs where the bear bit in. He was basically saved by his pack taking most of the bite force, and the quick thinking of his partner.

2. December 2007. Kodiak Bunny hunting stops a Sow charge, badly wounding the sow which was later dispatched by AST along with it's 3 cubs. http://www.adn.com/2008/01/01/251643...iak-bunny.html
    Only report is that he used a handgun, but I remember another report saying it was a 454C, not sure though.

3. October 2008. Hunter mauled by a Sow and 3 cubs on Kodiak. Attacked while dragging out a deer he had just killed. Appears he did not (or had no time to) fire off any shots.
    http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,445028,00.html

4. September 2011, 42 Miles West of Paxson, AK; ex-marine mauled by bear. Manages to only fire one round from his '06, this shot did not stop the bear and it is not known if he hit the bear.

http://www.adn.com/2011/09/20/207896...ion-after.html

I personally know the guy that shot the bear in the first account.
    Your bait stinks and your boat is ugly

Thas why I carry a BFR pistol in 45/70 rechambered to 458winmag.When I fire the gun comes up and hits me in the head knocking me out so I don't have to deal with whatever happens.
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

I LOVE IT! You know you going to get some crap for posting that in such a scientific study!

Amigo will where can I get me one of those head knockers?

Quote Originally Posted by FishGod View Post
    I personally know the guy that shot the bear in the first account.
    yep, so do i

DLP on video. We don't have anything on Romanian sheep herders.

Now those are some brave souls...

I bet that bear never eats another sheep again. Those guys were both brave and very skilled with their sticks (what caliber were they? )

Excellent video; thanks for posting that up.

Just wow...chasing a griz with a pack of hounds and axes.

I'll pass.

I am not sure if thats bravery, or stupidity, in the video - good grief! I wonder why on earth they would not have some type of gun along in big bear country? Maybe Liberals took them all away???
    Any looks like at least 1 dog paid a heavy price... Not sure if the bear got it or it got hit by the guys axes!
    Nicely done AK Ray! thx.
    When asked what state I live in I say "The State of Confusion", better known as IL....

Wasn't it back in 2006 where a guy fought one of with a knife on Kodiak, then killed it with a rifle? Wish I could find a link.

Quote Originally Posted by AKDoug View Post
    Wasn't it back in 2006 where a guy fought one of with a knife on Kodiak, then killed it with a rifle? Wish I could find a link.
    I think it was early last winter a husky teen age kid in Eagle River fought one bear handed and got away somehow.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

I saw an new article last year about some duck hunters finishing off a grizzly with their shot guns while it was climbing into their blind. Can't imagine they were loaded with 00 buck or slugs.

I personally witnessed about a 200 pound black bear shot with a .44 mag climb 50 feet up a birch tree and stayed there until it was shot through the lungs and still was thrashing around after it hit the ground. .45 to the bears head at point blank and DLP situation ended. The same .45 5 minutes later to my dogs head ended the property damage the bear inflicted. Even a small bear can move with some lead through it.

Evidence: bear shot two times in the vitals, bear moved around a lot. Bear shot in the head, immediate stop to before mentioned moving around and chewing on pets.

Moral: shoot for the nervous system and break bones. Don't walk around bear country unarmed if you can help it. Even a .45 is better than a rock or stick (maybe not an axe though).

Quote Originally Posted by AKDoug View Post
    Wasn't it back in 2006 where a guy fought one of with a knife on Kodiak, then killed it with a rifle?
    It was back in the late 90's, Gene Moe.

Wish I could find a link.
    Well Hell Doug, I like granting wishes...

http://juneauempire.com/stories/010400/Loc_bear.html

http://www.outdoorlife.com/articles/.../09/last-stand
    “Life has become immeasurably better since I have been forced to stop taking it seriously.” ― H.S.T.
    "Character is how you treat those who can do nothing for you."

Just last week I saw an article about a couple guys defending themself with a hammer agains a polar bear until they could get there rifle out and shoot it. They were defending there food stach. That would be crazy! I see them here at work everyonce in awhile and they are not small to say the least!!!

I had the pleasure of meeting Mr. Moe not long ago. Fine gentleman and quite the character. Tough old guy too I guess, I sure havent knifed any bears to death.

I used to work for Gene Moe and he IS one of the toughest guys I've ever met. A year after the bear attack he was out on the job pouring over 100 yards of concrete a day in his 70's. Not just supervising but pulling screed and shoveling mud alongside guys in their twenties and thirties.

LOL... you know you're a bad @ss when the bears are scared to mess with you until you are 69 years old and then you take 'em out with a Buck folding hunter.

Quote Originally Posted by Daved View Post
    I saw an new article last year about some duck hunters finishing off a grizzly with their shot guns while it was climbing into their blind. Can't imagine they were loaded with 00 buck or slugs.

).
    Here ya go:

http://www.alaskadispatch.com/articl...grizzly-attack

Of course we have the infamous hikers that used a 45acp semi-auto pistol to successfully stop a charge;

http://www.wendmag.com/blog/2010/05/...national-park/

And then the guy on the Kenai in 2002 who used a 9mm to defend against and kill a Sow:

http://forums.gunbroker.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=28124

And the dog walker in 2009 who defends against and kills a charging bear with his 454C Ruger.

http://www.adn.com/2009/08/13/897940...walker-to.html

To add, AST killed a dumpster diving bear in Kodiak in July 2010 - it took six 12Ga slugs before it would give up the fight - no reference.

Of all the 'EVIDENCE' I can find and that others have posted, so far, there is not one documented case (that I can find) where a charge has been successfully stopped with a rifle or shotgun; the case of the 2 hunters the charge was not stopped, but the bear killed by the second hunter with 3 shots of 375 and saving his buddies life.

Almost all of us on here promote the heavy caliber rifles for bear defense (I carry a heavy loaded 45-70), yet there seems to be no evidence to support that. Handguns (and even knives and axes!!) seem to have better documented success and even mediocre calibers at that (9 and 45). There are a number of conclusions that may be assumed from this; rifles are harder to bring into action quickly, harder to fire rapid follow-up shots (counters all my training), tose carrying rifles do not put themselves in bad situations or hunters are not necessarily good defensive shooters! The latter is interesting, the guys that turn up to our indoor range and practice, practice with handguns are not the same ones who pack the outdoor ranges in July with their hunting rifles.

As I said at the start this is not intended to be a caliber war, but to gather evidence and look at possibly what can be learnt; better awareness, better defensive training rather than just being happy with a quick re-zero in July.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast