Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I found some nice rams today

Default I found some nice rams today

I came across these rams and snapped a few pics with my laptop camera.

A case of the split endz.... I found the matching horn as well but no split. Full curl.

A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and donít have one, youíll probably never need one again

Default Ol' Broken Horn...

AlaskaCub and I saw a guy like this in the Wrangels one year. Day before the season, never saw him again.

A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and donít have one, youíll probably never need one again

Default And this bruiser....lets call him Beefcake....

36 inches.....

Nice find for sure..

Default Beefcake has 14inch bases

and has mass to what's left of his tips.....

Quote Originally Posted by whitepalm View Post
    Nice Rams, everytime I find one the nose bones are chewed off at least. Rare to find an intact skull. So did you find those in the field or in someones office. Your description is confusing.
    Sorry, maybe I should have named the thread "I came across some dead rams today". These are rams that someone shot. I sure like checking them out.

Quote Originally Posted by Snyd View Post
    AlaskaCub and I saw a guy like this in the Wrangels one year. Day before the season, never saw him again.

I am also wondering how old this ram is. These are some pigs for sure. By the looks of this last picture, I am guessing at least 12 years old. Possibly even 13 or 14 years old.

Somewhere between lucky and extremely lucky

Looks to be at least 12+, but I'd even wager on 13+...what nice animals--think of the lambs that guy put into the field...or that all his ladies put into the field, to be more precise. He was busy lounging around eating delicious succulents while mom did all the work.
    Experience is the name every one gives to their mistakes. ~Wilde

Beefcake makes Ol' BrokenHorn look small. I'll try and get a pic of them side by side. Beefcake feels like he weighs twice as much as well.

Must been a heck of a blow to bust that horn off huh?!

Must been a heck of a blow to bust that horn off huh?!
    Wow, what a thought, would have had to have been a fall, right ? Or one Real Serious Collision,...hard to imagine

Some Unreal stuff happens out there in the woods, eh?
    Ten Hours in that little raft off the AK peninsula, blowin' NW 60, in November.... "the Power of Life and Death is in the Tongue," and Yes, God is Good !

Great sheep! Thanks for posting.
    Would interesting to have them aged by three or four different individuals and see the resulting ages.
    Always great to see these older animals. The amount of "de-calcification" around the eye sockets usually a pretty
    good indicator the "show" is coming to an end.
    Again - great pictures - thank you for posting
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by wantj43 View Post
    Great sheep! Thanks for posting.
    Would interesting to have them aged by three or four different individuals and see the resulting ages.
    Always great to see these older animals. The amount of "de-calcification" around the eye sockets usually a pretty
    good indicator the "show" is coming to an end.
    Again - great pictures - thank you for posting
    Good observation. Never heard that one before.

Thanks for the education there Joe. Here's another pic of them side by side. This is how they actually look. The other pics are "flipped", a mirror image. I took the pics with my computer. This one is with a camera. Beefcake is a bruiser, pics don't do him justice. Look at the difference in the bases and the overall mass.

Nice Find, Have to be sure and check that spot out next season.
    Thanks for sharing.

Is "de-calcification" a type of degenerative bone disease due to aging?.... I have noticed that some older larger horn rams in the facial area seem to lose alot of fatty tissue and sort of portray an anorexia type of look. I also notice their neck size seem to get smaller too. I am no expert, but was just curious.

In general, it is part of the natural physiological progression of aging. The same condition is usually apparent in older bear skulls, though usually more obvious on the edges of zygomatic arches and where the teeth are inserted.
    Joe
    Quote Originally Posted by kahahawai View Post
    Is "de-calcification" a type of degenerative bone disease due to aging?.... I have noticed that some older larger horn rams in the facial area seem to lose alot of fatty tissue and sort of portray an anorexia type of look. I also notice their neck size seem to get smaller too. I am no expert, but was just curious.

beefcake's awsome! thanks for posting the pics. i too would be interested in the possible differences in ages four or so different sealing agents might have. maybe a couple random bios and a couple random troopers...

i learned something tonight. thanks for the input joe.

Impressive rams there, Snyd and AlaskaCub!
    Thanks for sharing!
    Lurker.

Sorry, maybe I should have named the thread "I came across some dead rams today". These are rams that someone shot. I sure like checking them out.
    Must have been shot by non res, eh? Since they are shooting all the older rams.
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast