Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: how bout this hunting round? first time reloading for the -06

Default how bout this hunting round? first time reloading for the -06

I bought one of those lee classic loaders earlier this summer, but never got a chance to use it till for christmas mom and I got dad powder, primers bullets and such things. well, dads been busy so I just HAD to test it out.

Anyway, I loaded 51 grains of hodgon superformance under a 190 grain hornady interlock. from my estimations it would be going around 2500-2600 Ft sec, I am gonna borrow a chronograph and a powder scale form my youth pastor if I get the chance, but how would this do as a hunting round? I under stand its all about shot placement, but is this a good bullet and speed? gonna shoot it tomorrow to see how accurate it is.

Oh BTW it only took 4 minutes a bullet to load HAHA
    Eccleasties 8:11 Because the sentence against an evil deed is not executed quickly, There for the hearts of the sons of men among them are given fully to do evil.

Quote Originally Posted by FurFishGame View Post
    . . . how would this do as a hunting round?
    It will kill things very well, although trajectory won't be the greatest. Scoped, with a zero of +2" (high) at 100 yds., it will be almost 5" low at 250 yds., and nearly 11" low at 300.

How did you measure the powder out if you haven't borrowed the scale yet? I have only loaded the Barnes TSX in my 30-06. So I don't have any first hand experience with the interlock. But from what I hear the bullet itself does pretty good depending on the game. No one can say how a certain handload will perform on game until they have tried it. Just a word of advice don't do anything that's not either in a manual or from trusted source.

Quote Originally Posted by FurFishGame View Post
    I bought one of those lee classic loaders earlier this summer, but never got a chance to use it till for christmas mom and I got dad powder, primers bullets and such things. well, dads been busy so I just HAD to test it out.

Anyway, I loaded 51 grains of hodgon superformance under a 190 grain hornady interlock. from my estimations it would be going around 2500-2600 Ft sec, I am gonna borrow a chronograph and a powder scale form my youth pastor if I get the chance, but how would this do as a hunting round? I under stand its all about shot placement, but is this a good bullet and speed? gonna shoot it tomorrow to see how accurate it is.

Oh BTW it only took 4 minutes a bullet to load HAHA

Quote Originally Posted by Blackhawk .44 View Post
    How did you measure the powder out if you haven't borrowed the scale yet? I have only loaded the Barnes TSX in my 30-06. So I don't have any first hand experience with the interlock. But from what I hear the bullet itself does pretty good depending on the game. No one can say how a certain handload will perform on game until they have tried it. Just a word of advice don't do anything that's not either in a manual or from trusted source.
    Gotta throw out a 2nd on what Blackhawk .44 said. Hand loading is great, but don't take the risks of making a mistake lightly.

Carnivore
    Everything that lives and moves will be food for you.
    Genesis 9:3

The lee classic loaders come with a powder scoop.

FurFishGame,, I have several reloading items I no longer use, one of them is a beam scale. When I get home from vacation I will gather it all up and sent it to you free. Please be careful and do some reading to make sure you know what you are doing. I may even have a few older reloading books I can include as well.

Nice to see a young man such as yourself working hard and doing things for yourself.

Happy New Year and best wishes.

Steve
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

See, there you go. I vote for STID as forum member of the year. someone start a poll.

happy New year to all forum members. A special wish for our military members. come home soon.

Lee Loader? The "old school" version with the mallet? Haven't seen one of those in a long, long time.

I used to load pistol rounds in my college dorm room with one of those (yeah...that WAS a long time ago it seems) and drove the roommate nuts...which was pretty entertaining in its own right.

That little scoop is calibrated for a volume of a certain type(s) of powder...be very careful about using newer powders like Superperformance in volume measurements unless you have a published reference source. Without a scale, it may or may not be 51gr. and high performance powders have some pretty wild pressure curves.

The 190gr Interlock is a fine hunting round in the '06 if your rifle likes them and you don't push them too fast.

Default Here's the dipper chart for the Lee powder dippers...

Dippers.pdf

Lee's published dipper chart.

I second that!

Quote Originally Posted by Roland on the River View Post
    See, there you go. I vote for STID as forum member of the year. someone start a poll.

happy New year to all forum members. A special wish for our military members. come home soon.

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

Quote Originally Posted by hodgeman View Post
    Dippers.pdf

Lee's published dipper chart.
    I don't see "hodgon superformance" on that list.

FFG: How did you arrive at that charge?

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

Your accuracy wont depend so much on speed as it will with consistant in weight bullets and consistant velocitys. That will put your bullet in its place, same place, every time.
    Velocity will is the distance your bullet will go over a certain ammount of time, and once your sights are most likely set to intersect the path of a certain bullet going a certain speed to a certain distance.

For example, My M-39 is sighted to a 149 grain spire pointed, boat tailed .30 cal FMJ moving at 2,550 Feet per second. I use the Czeck load that is consistant in bullet weight and bullet velocity, and I hit my mark most of the time, or within inches. Closer, the better.

Shoot lots, and at all kindsa ranges. After a while, you will "Know" where your gonna hit the instant you pull the trigger.
    If you can't Kill it with a 30-06, you should Hide.

"Dam it all", The Beaver told me.....

Alrigty, in response to the "how I came to my charge" I was informed today that I was wrong in my calculations, I didn't know that 4350 was different than superformance in regards to the size of the granules, my youth pastor who is a really good reloader said that I will have more than I originally expected, I did some searching last night before I started loading, and it said with 4350 it was 51 grains.

Trust me, I WILL NOT take chances, I may on a lot of things, but I always wait till I have some experience with them first, and when it comes to shooting, I don't take any....at all....
    Eccleasties 8:11 Because the sentence against an evil deed is not executed quickly, There for the hearts of the sons of men among them are given fully to do evil.

Quote Originally Posted by stid2677 View Post
    The lee classic loaders come with a powder scoop.

FurFishGame,, I have several reloading items I no longer use, one of them is a beam scale. When I get home from vacation I will gather it all up and sent it to you free. Please be careful and do some reading to make sure you know what you are doing. I may even have a few older reloading books I can include as well.

Nice to see a young man such as yourself working hard and doing things for yourself.

Happy New Year and best wishes.

Steve
    I appreciate it but after i told my youth pastor this morning about my adventures he collected a bunch of stuff for me to get me started. such as a scale, caliper, trimmer and a couple books and various odds and ends like a funnel and other things.

I shot it today resting on a barrel aiming at a letter on a grain bag. here is the results, I knew I pulled the shot that hit right, but the nice thing is, I don't ever shoot dustys gun ( dustys is more accurate than dads so I will do all my load testing in his, till I know what I'm doin) so each shot was surprising which helped the accuracy, I think the up and down was because of the difference in the measure of powder as the dipper isn't real accurate, plus it took 3 of the 5 bullets to get the right bullet depth (the 3 were to deep) I was setting them at the crimp line. i got a book that says the right length and everything

I was aiming where the horizontal line on the E meets the vertical.

Good to hear young man, if you change your mind or run into something else you need just let me know. Like many, I have upgraded many items on my reloading bench and the old stuff is just collecting dust. Would much rather see it in eager young hands than trying to sell it. From the looks of your groups you are well on your way!!!

Good luck and be safe.

Steve
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

Scoops can be VERY accurate, BUT you have to be very consistant in your method of scooping the powder every time. Many benchrest shooters (that reload at the shooting bench) use scoops over scales for accuracy.
    Again, you MUST be sure of the data you are using, to avoid pressure problems.

Ok, I weighed 3 seprate scoops last night, and I found that I was loading 53 grains, not 51. The scoops were accurate with in 1/10 th of a grain, if I took my time.

I loaded a few with 53 grains, and a few with 54. just for giggles, gonna shoot um today hopefully and see how they do.

Watch the primers. If they show sign of "flattening " or flowing to one side. BACK OFF. Also, the bolt will be stiff to lift. Pressure is critical.

Quote Originally Posted by Roland on the River View Post
    Watch the primers. If they show sign of "flattening " or flowing to one side. BACK OFF. Also, the bolt will be stiff to lift. Pressure is critical.
    I talked with a couple people, with brass in hand on what it looks like if I have to much pressure, I didn't get a chance to shoot it today, but loaded some more up to 4 1/2 and 5 1/2, defiantly gonna take a hard look at the primers after I shoot. No need to rush it

most days I can shoot pretty good, but today was not one of them.....tightest one I shot was 2 1/2 inches....gotta load some more and rather make a bench rest or have pops shoot um, to see how accurate they are...or wait till a warmer day when I'm not shivering....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast