Thread: fishing on JBER

Default fishing on JBER

Anyone fish on any of the lakes here on post?

I always plan on heading out there each winter but don't. I hear good things about Otter and Clunie lakes. Try doing a search on the forums with specific lake names.

Otter Lake hasn't been stocked in five years due to the presence of pike. I would hit Clunie, Hillberg, and Upper Six-mile.
    Your bait stinks and your boat is ugly

I've fished all the lakes on the Elmendorf side, only Otter on the Ft Rich side. Hillberg and Green are pretty good but you have to know the right place to bore the hole, other wise you come up empty. On Green go down the hill and off the dock. Turn about 45 degrees to the right and go out 25 yards or so.

I have had a lot of fun ice fishing Clunie lake the last few years. Lots of decent bows nothing huge. Otter Lake no real success but if i were to go back i would fish the deeper hole.... I wouldnt suggest Otter Lake to anyone though. Outdoor Rec has good infor depending on who you talk to

thx for all the info, my son has been beggin me to take him fishing so we might try clunie lake. I just gotta get an auger. I just dont wanna ruin it for him i know it gets cold so imma look into getting the lil popup and a heater. Hes got bout 45-60 min attention span. We caught two like this within an hr. in VA

heres the two we caught

Poarch,
    Try sand lake in anchorage. Easier walk and drive time is about same ans it is easy to see where everyone is fishing Access is off 80 street

Can anybody recomend a heater for a quickfish 3, looking at the mr heater for 100 but not sure if the smaller one will work just as good?

Quote Originally Posted by poarch0 View Post
    Can anybody recomend a heater for a quickfish 3, looking at the mr heater for 100 but not sure if the smaller one will work just as good?
    I used a mr buddy [the bigger one ] it gets chilly on the low side so i find myself keeping it cranked

http://www.sportsmanswarehouse.com/s...2526/cat100894
    i love this heater works great it was 12 below on valley lakes today and we were warm inside the shack

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Brown View Post
    I used a mr buddy [the bigger one ] it gets chilly on the low side so i find myself keeping it cranked
    by big one you mean the you mean this one http://www.sportsmanswarehouse.com/s...2532/cat100894

I ended up buying this one http://www.sportsmanswarehouse.com/s...2540/cat100894 hopefully itll be warm enough. ill be fishing near anchorage, i also got the lazer manual auger hopefully it aint to bad.

Quote Originally Posted by poarch0 View Post
    by big one you mean the you mean this one http://www.sportsmanswarehouse.com/s...2532/cat100894

I ended up buying this one http://www.sportsmanswarehouse.com/s...2540/cat100894 hopefully itll be warm enough. ill be fishing near anchorage, i also got the lazer manual auger hopefully it aint to bad.
    youll probably leave that auger on the ice.... maybe even shove it down the hole after the hour itll take to drill

Quote Originally Posted by aktyler View Post
    youll probably leave that auger on the ice.... maybe even shove it down the hole after the hour itll take to drill
    i hope not...lol

Tank top heater is the way to go IMHO
    http://www.myfishingpictures.com/watermark.php?file=133776
    Jedi Salmon Powers Activated!
    www.alaskansalmonslayers.com

Quote Originally Posted by FishGod View Post
    Otter Lake hasn't been stocked in five years due to the presence of pike. I would hit Clunie, Hillberg, and Upper Six-mile.
    That's too bad. Otter used to have some big rainbows. I caught several in the 8-10 lb range (27"-28") through the ice back in the early 90's.

Time to kill some pike.
    If cave men had been trophy hunters the Wooly Mammoth would be alive today

Quote Originally Posted by Erik in AK View Post
    That's too bad. Otter used to have some big rainbows. I caught several in the 8-10 lb range (27"-28") through the ice back in the early 90's.

Time to kill some pike.
    went to clunie to check it out, if ya dont have 4wd lol i wouldnt suggest going on the side road. My ol ladys car is fwd and we had to have a lil help getting out. The guys that helped said that this is the biggest hes seen the rainbow there so idk maybe we will have some luck tomorrow. If it doesnt lay down to much snow.

if anyone wants to come out and show me a thing or to your more than welcome