Thread: Over night camping/pike trip for a couple teenagers, where to go what to do

Default Over night camping/pike trip for a couple teenagers, where to go what to do

Hey A buddy and me were wanting to camp over night this winter out on flat horn or figure 8 lake and catch some pike, I've heard those lakes are pretty fished out. but all we want it to catch is a pike just to say we did, and of course, supply some food for us. would one of those lakes provide a good adventure for 2 teenagers? we do a lot of survival stuff together including some over nighters, but its always at his or my house and it gets boring going to the same spot every time, and we have a couple snow machines at our disposal, and all the gear we need, but we don't have tip ups. but I have built make shift ones before so we could be fishing and building our shelter at the same time.

I have been pike fishing before in the summer but I was pretty much just trolling a herring behind me on the canoe and a pike ripped my pole out of the boat, so that wasn't to success full, so how do I go about fishing for pike? I will go through the archives too.

Thanks!
    Eccleasties 8:11 Because the sentence against an evil deed is not executed quickly, There for the hearts of the sons of men among them are given fully to do evil.

Pm on its way soon...
    "Ya can't stop a bad guy with a middle finger and a bag of quarters!!!!"- Ted Nugent.

Fishing for pike with tip-ups is pretty simple kid. You won't have any problem. All you have to do is find a spot to place your tip-up in 5-15 ft of water I would say. Rig up a big gamakatsu hook. Place a half a herring on the hook through its back and drop it down to the bottom about a foot or two off the bottom. Then just wait for your flag to pop up. Once it pops up, slowly pull the tip-up out of the hole, slowly grab the line and pull it slowly until you take out the slack. If the pike still has the herring in its mouth, you will feel slight tension on the line. As soon as you take out all the slack, give it quick, hard pull to set the hook. Then pull it up out of the hole. Simple as that. Once you catch it, you got to know how to fillet it though. Has your Pa or Ma ever showed you how to fillet up a pike? If you are not sure, I will try to explain it to you.

Quote Originally Posted by Bushwhack Jack View Post
    Fishing for pike with tip-ups is pretty simple kid. You won't have any problem. All you have to do is find a spot to place your tip-up in 5-15 ft of water I would say. Rig up a big gamakatsu hook. Place a half a herring on the hook through its back and drop it down to the bottom about a foot or two off the bottom. Then just wait for your flag to pop up. Once it pops up, slowly pull the tip-up out of the hole, slowly grab the line and pull it slowly until you take out the slack. If the pike still has the herring in its mouth, you will feel slight tension on the line. As soon as you take out all the slack, give it quick, hard pull to set the hook. Then pull it up out of the hole. Simple as that. Once you catch it, you got to know how to fillet it though. Has your Pa or Ma ever showed you how to fillet up a pike? If you are not sure, I will try to explain it to you.
    Ya I know how to fillet them. thanks! I think I know how to build one I will do some tinkering tomorrow and see what I come up with. if not, I will pick one up thursday
    Eccleasties 8:11 Because the sentence against an evil deed is not executed quickly, There for the hearts of the sons of men among them are given fully to do evil.