Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: halibut fishing Anchor River

Default halibut fishing Anchor River

How far from the Anchor river could I expect to catch Halibut in a Kayak ??

figure 1- 1.5 miles offshore....

Release Lake Trout

I would work in 35ft of water or less!!!!!! One thing you can do is slow troll large herring aroud the kelp, big jigs trolled work too. The reason I say troll is it is hard to get a good scent trail going with one rod, and not so sure you want to anchor and use a chum bag best of luck. My big fish from the kelp off fo Anchor PT is 285lbs in 11ft of water. You will want to shoot a big fish, a 22 will work, I like a .410 SNAKE CHARMER. Best of luck

If you go over to Alaska Outdoor Journal and check the angler reports, there is another guy that fishes Kings and Halibut from Anchor Point in a kayak. Here's a youtube link I found that he did http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yLY5aQJR9mA&sns=em

Contact Kardinal84 he has been doing this all summer. Try searching the kayaking forum here is a link to one of his threads.
    http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...s-Sept-11-2011
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

They're pretty close to the river mouths in the fall.
    Your bait stinks and your boat is ugly

We get real good fishing in early june when the hooligan are moving through right in close too It is the best during big tides.

I caught butts from shore with a spinning rod all year. 'All' year being from late april to my last attempt this yr, Oct 15th. Got two of them that day. So there are some fish present pretty much all fishing season. You only need 10 feet of water and the right surf conditions.
    Your sarcasm is way, waaaayyyyyyyy more sarcastic than mine!

cod,

Do you fish right at the river mouth or how do you choose your spots? Doesn't seem like a whole lot of structure on inlet beaches. What are the right "surf conditions"?

Don't want to steal the thread, but.......I do NOT fish the river mouths. I choose the fishy spots at a low tide and I am looking for a place that when I throw my pyramid sinker out with the herring on it will not hang up in rocks, big coal pieces, etc. Am looking for a spot that off beach that has a 'greater' drop off gradient than other spots. (Although the whole beachfront will often not vary much at all.) I have a few spots that consistantly fit these descriptions and that I regularly go to. That being said, really, almost anyplace can get u fish. My fish spots are from Ninilchik R. south clear to almost Stariski Crk. **Remember-...April 1st to June 30th-U can only fish off the beach within the 2mile mark of the river mouths on "the days that the King fishing is open" during king season for the rivers here.**After July first the entire beach is open to fishing**see 2011 regs page 14 for map and clarification. Anywho, folks get butt off the beach from Kasilof to Homer's Lands End. By 'right surf conditions' I mean little or no wave action. If the surf is rough, the butts cant get in too close to shore. Fish from 1.5 hrs b4 hi tide till 1.5 hrs after hi tide. I still think that 17 to 19 ft tides are best but, i am often pleasantly surprized by the results on other tides. 2011 provided me 13 shore caught butts, probly that many skates, a few cod and flounder, one king (lost 2 others) and lots of Irish fellas. I used to fish with a 6 ft spinning rod and 12 lb test and got fish. Now I have a couple nice surf rods.....Sorry for the hi jack........
    Your sarcasm is way, waaaayyyyyyyy more sarcastic than mine!

Kayak in halibut fishing translates into big bobber when kelp fishing Hope I'am there for the show when you hook the big one! A 22 will calm them down but they can come back to life, I like a .410 with bird shot they go to sleep and never come back to life. Best of luck lets us know how it goes.

cod and others,Thanks for the great and useful info. Sorry if I hi-jacked the thread. Seen kayaks out there fishing this past summer. Was wondering what would happen if they hooked a barndoor.

Quote Originally Posted by Robert2968 View Post
    How far from the Anchor river could I expect to catch Halibut in a Kayak ??
    As far as you care to paddle

I have been checking this thread out everyday....and this is one of the things I wanted to do for a while, could you guys post some pics of Big Hali's strung up on your kayaks along with your rigs....

thanks...

11 fishing 267.jpg11 fishing 268.jpg
    Had an awesome time this summer learning how to Kayak fish 3 trips down to Anchor Point area and a trip out of Seward.

100_0612 (2).jpgAugust 2011 092.jpg

The "result" of lots of "hard" work. Some good eats! Good luck!

Thats awesome "dude" I want to do that ....thanks for posting the pics.

I like to troll Whiskey Gulch for kings and I've caught a LOT of halibut incidently not more than about 100' from shore. I caught a 70 pounder a number of years ago about a quarter of a mile off shore. So they are certainly there. So the nice thing about that is you have a good chance of catching either a king or a halibut.
    Year round saltwater fishing adventures in Homer, AK.
    http://muttleycrewfishing.com

Between the Willapa Rivers, United States

You might find better fishing in your kayak off of Whiskey Gulch...Steeper gradient off the beach to deeper water.Time it during the smelt run and hold on...you will find fish.

Well,i like Mark said and like I said I before fish off of Whiskey Gulch. The biggest halibut I've ever caught there was about 70 lbs. and not much more than 100 yds. from shore. They're in there chasing bait just like the kings.
    Year round saltwater fishing adventures in Homer, AK.
    http://muttleycrewfishing.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast