Thread: PWS Deer hunting with zodiac

Default PWS Deer hunting with zodiac

I seriously considering doing a Solo water taxi deer hunt next year, Has anybody every done a drop off and take a zodiac with you so your not confined to camp ? Seems every year I'm packed ready to go and for one reason or another people change mind,plans at the last min or wife says you can not go and so on and trip gets canceled
    PEOPLE SAY I HAVE A.D.D I DON'T UNDERSTA.....OH LOOK A MOOSE !!!

Roger,

the day I went out (2 Dec) this year, After I was in the water abot to head out.. 2 trucks showed up. both had Zodiaks, then another 18' open skiff.. I thought to myself these guys are freaking nuts.. I looked for deer the whole way out and didnt spot the first one till i was a considerable distance from Whittier.. even though I knew and figured there had to be some in closer.. that whole day we saw 9 deer.. We somehow managed to get all 9, Returning to the dock at roughly a few minutes after 5 pm. the open Skiff was a pair of natives, they had 2 sea otters and 4 deer. So in short they left the same time we did.. or shortly after, and returned about the same time.. I asked the one guy and they saw 27 deer.. managed to get 4. So.... I'll leave it at that eh..

Thanks for the info but was thinking of being dropped off somewhere and set up camp or rent a cabin but have a zodiac for exploring coves
    PEOPLE SAY I HAVE A.D.D I DON'T UNDERSTA.....OH LOOK A MOOSE !!!

didja notice how big of outboards they had on their zodiacs or how big they were?

I have never done the trip myself, but my neighbor just went a couple weeks ago and they took 9 deer total. I have heard some crazy stories about the weather out their too, I'm not so sure I would go by myself. But I do know the deer are there and I know where they are. If you can't find anybody to with let me know, I'll go with ya.

PM sent
    Even a jackass won't stumble on the same stone twice.

75 hp Suzuki on the one that had 4 deer and 2 sea otters. Furthest they went from port was 16 miles. their are deer out their, lots of them. Just have to be in the right place at the right time I guess.

a 20' hardtop had a 175 Suzuki that was screaming close to 40+ Mph, they went way out, and got back as we were pulling up the ramp. 2 of them had 4 also I believe.

We took am 8.5 zodaik with us this year. It was the ticket for sure.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Do I give my friends advice? Jesus, no. They wouldn't take advice from me. Nobody should take advice from me. I haven't got a clue about anything..

I'm also interested in this type of set up for deer hunting. Any more info would be appreciated
    Tomorrow isn't promised. "Never delay kissing a pretty girl or opening a bottle of whiskey." E. Hemingway

That looks like a fun trip. Love the pics, great job man!!

Here's two more. That doe never moved...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Do I give my friends advice? Jesus, no. They wouldn't take advice from me. Nobody should take advice from me. I haven't got a clue about anything..

i went this year and between 4 of us we got 12, we thought about bringing a zodiac but didnt. it would have saved quite a bit of rocky beach walking but it isnt necessary.

I would definitely take one along if you have the room. It opens up so much more area. Once on a drop off hunt on Kodiak a hunting party accross the bay from us had one and they were coming over and hunting the side of the bay we were on. We ended up hiking a couple miles down the beach to the head of the bay and then up into a valley where the hunting was better. On our way back the tide was in blocking one section where we had to wait due to a cliff. Had we brought along a zodiac it would have shortened our hike by at least 4 miles and also saved alot of time.

75 horse on a zod means that it must have been a pretty big zodiac....my old 15 footer is rated for 65hp....they probably get around a lot better and faster than mine.

Now I don't mind eating critters, but that poor little doe sure looks aweful scared....don't look like she has much place to go - or much to eat.....

Taking a small Zodiak along with you on a drop off hunt is a good plan. As mentioned, it's good to be able to get around for access and it's also good when it comes time for packing. Drag them to the nearest beach and come back with the Zodiak. Plus the nice thing about a small Zodiak is you can drag them up above the tide line and don't have to worry about them when the weather gets crappy.

Planning a trip out of Whittier by small Zodiak is a bad idea. Weather is too unpredictable for anything more than a day and sometimes that's iffy. Plus every deer you put in your boat affects how it handles. Wouldn't do it for anything other than a short trip with one eye constantly on the weather. And then I'd have survival gear in case I got blowed in some place.
    An opinion should be the result of thought, not a substitute for it.
    - Jef Mallett

I never take my zodiac out without survival gear.....never know when that old thing is going to call it quits!