Thread: Guide/Hunter Responsibilities

Default Guide/Hunter Responsibilities

Reading the story about the unlicensed Guide guiding the Nevada hunters got me thinking. I have been on two trips hunting trips to Alaska hunting sheep and caribou and had wonderful time and great outfitter and guides. But let's say that the same situtation happened to me. What would my legal problem be if in good faith I when on what I though was a legal trip with what I though was a licensed and registered guide. Are the Nevada hunters responsible? Do they have some fines or other legal problem in the future because of this unlicensed guide? Unfortunately this has probably happened before, do any of you know what happened to the hunters themselves?

http://www.adn.com/outdoors/story/87...-8647580c.html

man if someone booked a hunt just because the guy says i'm a guide, i'd hope they'd be at fault too...thats a super easy and basic fundemental of researching your investment. ignorance is no excuse, the problem is people want to belive it, exspeically if what your selling sounds good!
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

Cool Research

Look up the names of your guide and outfitter on the alaska fish and game web site to see if they are for real. I forgot what the heading was, but if you just surf around a bit you should be able to find it (category GUI ?)

You should go here to research a Guide or Transporter ...

http://www.dced.state.ak.us/occ/pgui.htm

It is a good idea to ask Cindy or Cynthia any questions (if you have them) they are very helpful.

Also as been suggested many time on this board talk with the local ADF&G Biologist and even the local Brown Shirts.

A new Guide law went into affect last Jan '06 and Aug '06. There were allot of changes especially to the Transporters. Actually many Guide changes as well.

There have been several Transporter busts in SE (POW Black Bear) and on Kodiak (deer) and sometimes the hunter has been sited also.

Lightbulb pre trip research

a lot of guys just do not want to take the time to research and check license status and figure things will work out alright.

i know from first hand experience that attitude will lead to problems.

other guys do not know of the miriad of ways that reputation and record can be checked out. some guys have never been on a guided trip before.

the lessons learned can be expensive....