Thread: Hunting with the Burris rangefinding scope...

Default Hunting with the Burris rangefinding scope...

I apologize in advance but I did a search and came up empty handed. For those not familiar with this scope it has a built in rangefinder that once zeroed in at 100yds will move the cross hairs for a shot say 400 yards away. In short you hold dead on at 100 out to 600yards as the scope has ranged the critter and adjusted accordingly. Now that all being said this projects NO light or beam at the game. What do you think is this a legal hunting scope? And I know I will hear that its not fair or why not do this instead...Just asking if its legal. Thanks

Is it truly a rangefinder or are you referring to the ballistic plex retical which give bullet drop compensating crosshairs to use for different yardage? The key will be whatever the regs say about electronics. Let us know what you find!

Truly a rangefinder. Takes a battery. Give the distance to the target right in the scope.

For 29 oz for the Burris Eliminator I'd opt for a Leupy with a CDS or M1 turret long before I'd put that hubble on my rifle, but thats just me.

Quote Originally Posted by akdube View Post
    Now that all being said this projects NO light or beam at the game. Just asking if its legal.
    Well, unless it's using sonar or radar, it sure does "project light at the animal". It's just not in the spectrum easily seen by the human eye. Regardless, rangefinders are commonly used, and apparently legal.
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

It's legal.

its junk, been there seen that.
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

Quote Originally Posted by BRWNBR View Post
    But it's legal junk
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    #Resist

It's legal.

Sounds like it works just as designed, it get folks to buy one!!!!

Leica Range Finder and your choice of ranging reticles, sure works for me.

Steve
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

Quote Originally Posted by BRWNBR View Post
    Agreed! The brand name says that.

Quote Originally Posted by .300wby View Post
    Agreed! The brand name says that.
    Gotta disagree there. I have several Burris scopes (not the model in question), and have found them to be just as reliable as my uber expensive Austrian scopes.
    #Resist

opps ya legal, didn't see the question in the OP...sorry
    seen some great burriss stuff, but the elimnator scope is not one of them.
    Master guide 212

Burris's optics actually let more light through than the nightforce, leopold(?), and swarzki(?) if I remember correctly. The light transmission of burris is like 94% where leopold is around 89% as I recall. Bottom line I'm getting is its OK to use...Thanks guys

Its legal, but have 4 FullField 3x9's and they work OK on light recoil rifles, but didn't hold up on the 375H&H (10 rounds). The costumer service was terrible, just my experience, but bad enough that I won't buy another. Tom

the gun counter guy at sportsmans told me that the game troopers came in to look at it to make sure it was legal and the consensus was that it is legal. would be a good topic for the ask a alaska state trooper section.

Quote Originally Posted by iofthetaiga View Post
    Gotta disagree there. I have several Burris scopes (not the model in question), and have found them to be just as reliable as my uber expensive Austrian scopes.
    Yea, we all have our own experiences. I won't disagree with you. I just made the mistake 3 times of putting them on something with power and recoil.

It'll probably go on a 300 ultra mag. They have a 3 year warranty. Like that makes a differance in the field. It's a cool concept so I think I'm gonna go for it. Thanks fellas.

had a client on brown bear/ mt goat hunt this past fall in the wrangell mts with the elimnator scope, he used it at home practiced with it and was pumped up to use it. well we couldn't get anything to range past 350....dont' need a fancy scope to shoot at that distance. the shot we ended up needing it on the scope wouldn't even range it. client was really upset, he went right home and took it off.
    another example of trying to reinvent the wheel..maybe bring a back up just in case. i can't trust electric stuff in the field..bad idea.
    Master guide 212

I own one and love it. And yes they're legal. I made sure I talked to F&G before purchasing. PM me if you want to discuss. I've used it for two years and had nothing but success.

For me, it adds another level of confidence in my shot before pulling the trigger and that makes it worth it.