Thread: Yetna Station Update

Default Yetna Station Update

I was planning a trip up to our property this week and was wondering how the trail from Deshka Landing to the Big Bend on the Yetna is ?
    I hope you all had a great Christmas Ernie.

Stick to the trail on the Su below the Landing and watch for the crossed sticks marking the hazards, which there was only two spots from the Landing to Kroto slough. GCI trail has frozen overflow in the usual spots but only for a short distance. If hauling a load stick to the trail running down the slough after the exit from GCI as the left side was mushy with some areas of water under the snow.

At the exit of Fish Creek we went left and headed for Big Lake as the fog was pretty thick Saturday to head up river. The reports I got were frozen overflow or open leads in the standard areas, Rootbeer Creek (Fish Camp), below the big sand bar by Luce's but all easy to get around, just follow the trail.

If you need more 1st hand info call Yetena Station at 733-2746.

Quote Originally Posted by Dupont Spinner View Post
    Stick to the trail on the Su below the Landing and watch for the crossed sticks marking the hazards, which there was only two spots from the Landing to Kroto slough. GCI trail has frozen overflow in the usual spots but only for a short distance. If hauling a load stick to the trail running down the slough after the exit from GCI as the left side was mushy with some areas of water under the snow.

At the exit of Fish Creek we went left and headed for Big Lake as the fog was pretty thick Saturday to head up river. The reports I got were frozen overflow or open leads in the standard areas, Rootbeer Creek (Fish Camp), below the big sand bar by Luce's but all easy to get around, just follow the trail.

If you need more 1st hand info call Yetena Station at 733-2746.
    Thank's for the update. Merry Christmas and Happy New Year

I have a small cabin @ 20 creek area just above Yentna Station as of two weeks ago the river to there was fine. There was open water just above that but from there the trails on the left sand bar so it was fine. It was marked from Luce's up I think. When I was grooming trails #11 and #6 to the River Big Su last Tuesday I think it was mark all the way down on the west side of the River. I was thinking of building a groomed trail out to Scary tree this Monday or Tuesday so Big Lake might be the place to leave from if you don't have a BIG load to haul and there are good routes for that to out of Big Lake. Also itís shorter and faster to the Yentna than any other place for sure if you count the drive time not to mention the extra cost of driving fuel. If you are looking to play along the way there are plenty of swamps section along the way. Have fun

Just got back from my cabin a few miles above yentna sta...(Sat PM) Trail is well marked.. trail is good and hard all the way. Temp was 10 to 20 below along the river trail so there is no unfrozen overflow that we could find... The nasty flat light is the worst part of the whole trip...

Yes, Yes the River is open for sure out of Big Lake with no issues as well. I just walk in from 8 hrs of trails work out of Big Lake. The River Crew (WLT) I think has marked it very good there are stakes up and down the Big Su River from Trail 6 and 11 or the (Iron dog). I broke in a fresh trail through some good powder riding and I will have groomed from the Iron Dog to Scary tree by Tuesday afternoon. Enjoy the River

Thanks for the update, it sounds like the Big Sue is ok from trail 11 up to Scary Tree. I have always used Deshka Landing so this will be a new adventure. Thanks For your time and happy New Year. Ernie

Default river trail

I came down from above the yetna station on monday and traveled to deshka landing. trail is fast and well marked- avoid the x marked trails -