Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Scoring a Caribou?

Default Scoring a Caribou?

Hey guys,
    New to the forum but have been reading it for a long time. I am looking for someone to officially score my caribou. I know it's no world record, but it's large and has verey unique shovel. I can email pics if need be, I can't seem to find a official scoring member. Any help would be appericated. Thanks

From the Boone and Crockett website........

Forms to score it yourself......... http://www.boone-crockett.org/bgreco...s&type=Caribou

...and a list of measurers in Alaska: http://www.boone-crockett.org/bgReco...area=bgRecords

You should be able to find similar info by googling "Safari Club International measurers" as well.

DEFINITELY post pictures, please!

I have emailed everybody on the B&C list from Anchorage to Wassila and no replys. I just got it back from the taxidermist so I will try it myself. Pics comming soon, if I can figure it out. Thanks thou

Here are some pics
    [IMG][/IMG][IMG][/IMG]

WOW,, That is one freaky looking Bou!!! Looks pure evil, even his eye looks mad. That is the coolest Caribou rack I have seen.
    Congrats, regardless of score that is a TROPHY!!!

I would guess right around 400.

Steve
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

Long beams, fair tops, good bezes & a double shovel - it looks like it will score in the upper 300's.
    What a weird shovel!
    Good luck on getting it scored. Be sure to let us know what it does score.

Thanks, I named him El Diablo!!

Awesome caribou! That thing looks mean as heck! What herd did you get him out of?

So how does that work with shovels? Does he only score as good as his weakest side due to deductions? Will a net score result in that entire shovel being deducted to match the weaker side?

Quote Originally Posted by mossyhorn View Post
    Awesome caribou! That thing looks mean as heck! What herd did you get him out of?

So how does that work with shovels? Does he only score as good as his weakest side due to deductions? Will a net score result in that entire shovel being deducted to match the weaker side?
    There aren't a lot of deductions on a bou. Shovels score seperately (length + depth) - NO deductions. (I think)

Thats a good question, and I have no idea. That is why I want somebody to look at it. Sombody who knows what they are doing. He came from the Fourty mile herd.

Ok...I was curious cause with my experience with deer, if they have and eye guard on one side and not the other, he might as well not have it cause it will be deducted off.

Ok, I had it scored today, total deductions is 21 7/8"
    Total overall score is 375 6/8

Congrats - looks like you made it! That is one gnarly bou!!!

Scaribou.........

Im thinking the shovle was injured at one time, Ive seen some weird reindeer racks due to having them cut and keep growing, or growing wierd ones the following year.....just my idea, I doub ttheres anything to it ~~LOL!!~~

One thing I do know is that antlers will grow semmetricly, with an even distribution of wieght.

hence the Caribou Halo

still, the unusuall ones make the most interest, and you have scored proper withtha Bull, no matter what it "scores"
    If you can't Kill it with a 30-06, you should Hide.

"Dam it all", The Beaver told me.....

Somewhere between lucky and extremely lucky

Great animal. I imagine the left bez hurt the overall score as it appears much weaker than the right. Also, only 1 rear point it seems, which are basically bonus points I believe...that is an impressive animal for sure, with the most unique shovel I've ever seen. Finding a 400 point bull is a difficult task for sure. What time of year did you get him? Looks like he'd of had a beautiful white mane.

Quote Originally Posted by sockeye1 View Post
    Great animal. I imagine the left bez hurt the overall score as it appears much weaker than the right. Also, only 1 rear point it seems, which are basically bonus points I believe...that is an impressive animal for sure, with the most unique shovel I've ever seen. Finding a 400 point bull is a difficult task for sure. What time of year did you get him? Looks like he'd of had a beautiful white mane.
    Ya one rear point, and it was only 4 1/2", and yes the left bez and the right top i got deductions on. I took him on Sept 2.

Quote Originally Posted by strangerinastrangeland View Post
    Scaribou.........

Im thinking the shovle was injured at one time, Ive seen some weird reindeer racks due to having them cut and keep growing, or growing wierd ones the following year.....just my idea, I doub ttheres anything to it ~~LOL!!~~

One thing I do know is that antlers will grow semmetricly, with an even distribution of wieght.

hence the Caribou Halo

still, the unusuall ones make the most interest, and you have scored proper withtha Bull, no matter what it "scores"

Thanks for revealing the Halo resplendancy. It takes a deep connection with nature for people to make such observations. Why haven't I read about this Halo in any scientific Caribou research?

What an unholy shovel on your beast, YEEHAW. It's simply awesome!

Congrats on a very unique caribou. I have to second stranger, I believe that shovel somehow got split early on in development and continued to grow out symmetrically. Very cool, I personally find unique racks like that more interesting to look at then simply larger sized ones.

Thanks to Stranger for pointing out the halo symmetry and picture looking down on the rack. I never really thought much about that but it makes since if you are going to be carrying around so much weight on your head it would be nice if it was perfectly balanced! I am always amazed by how much true hunters know about the animals they pursuit beyond the knowledge that would be beneficial to harvesting the animal. It shows a real dedication and appreciation to not only the sport but to the animal.

That thing is a freak and i love it. Nice animal. I know with W/t and elk if they have an injury to a back hip the opposite brow tine will grow in deformed. I wonder if that holds true with Caribou? We would see it pretty regularly in IL from w/t vs car. we had a lot of then in the area i lived.

Carl Brent in Wasilla is an official Booner scorer. He lives down the street from me.... Have you tried contacting him? I would imagine he is on the website for scorers???

Good Luck and congrats on a great bull.

Brian

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast