Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tikka T3 Superlight

Default Tikka T3 Superlight

Well, I can report that, although I have not fired the gun as yet, I am now the proud owner of one of those Tikka T3 Superlights in 7mm Ram Mag that everyone is so allfired excited about - Had to drive nearly 400 miles round trip to Medford to pick it up at Sportsman's Warehouse - I've been fondling it all afternoon and at least THAT has turned out wonderful - Workmanship and finish is great and it IS light - this is my 4th T3 and although I had gone to either DNZ or Talley scope mounts I think I'll give the stockers a run, I just can't believe that they aren't engineered well enough to be just fine

Default Tikka T3 Superlight

Well, I can report that, although I have not fired the gun as yet, I am now the proud owner of one of those Tikka T3 Superlights in 7mm Rem Mag that everyone is so allfired excited about - Had to drive nearly 400 miles round trip to Medford to pick it up at Sportsman's Warehouse - I've been fondling it all afternoon and at least THAT has turned out wonderful - Workmanship and finish is great and it IS light - this is my 4th T3 and although I had gone to either DNZ or Talley scope mounts I think I'll give the stockers a run, I just can't believe that they aren't engineered well enough to be just fine

You must be excited you double posted well congrats!!!
    “When the people fear the government, that's tyranny; when the government fears the people, that's freedom.”

I love my T3 super lite in 30-06 and you will love that 7mm. Such a great gun for a great price.

OOPS ! sorry about that !

just a quick update to let all know ... I just put the 7mm mag superlight on my postal scale and it weighs 6lb 1.1oz - hardly 5lb 8oz but light all the same (that is with the stock rings attached)

Always thought those postal scales read heavy....... And those baggage scales at the airports too!
    Life is too important to be taken seriously.

Chinese proverb

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

That's purty light for a 7mm Mag.

When you shoot it, tell us, how much do it Kick?

And, how long the barrel is.

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

DOn't get too close to the scope when you touch it off...it will leave you a lasting memory!!
    Somewhere along the way I have lost the ability to act politically correct. If you should find it, please feel free to keep it.

I was planning on buying a tikka t3lite in 270wsm when I get home but I can't find anything about the superlights on-line. Can somebody tell me what calibers they offer in the superlight and the chances of finding one in Anchorage or is it something I need to special order?

barrel is 24 3/8" - I think it will be light enough for me, I was just commenting on the "advertised" weight difference - the manager at the Medford OR Sportsmans' WH told me that when the ones they have are gone there will be no more there - they had the 7mm mag, a 300 win mag, an '06, 7mm-08 and I'm not sure what else (if any) Cabela's has them in camo stock models, the store in Springfield OR has an '06 and a 300 win mag - I called the special order Cabela's number and was told that they can't predict at this time what will be coming in but they plan on carrying them - Cabela's price is $799 and SWH price is $680(non-camo) I am waiting for some firelap bullets before I shoot it, will post impressions after that - as a parting comment, I prefer blind magazine rifles like the Montana but a drop out magazine does have it's "place" AND they come with the typical HAED rubber recoil pad so a limbsaver is in the plan as well

Quote Originally Posted by bnkwnto View Post
    I was planning on buying a tikka t3lite in 270wsm when I get home but I can't find anything about the superlights on-line. Can somebody tell me what calibers they offer in the superlight and the chances of finding one in Anchorage or is it something I need to special order?
    The super lite is a Cabelas and Sportsmans special. I picked mine up at the Wasilla Sportsmans. The come in .300 win, 7mm, 30-06 and .270. They scream for a Limbsaver recoil pad and shoot like a dream with one installed.

Do they make a lefty?
    In 1492 Native Americans discovered Columbus lost at sea

If I come across as an arrogant, know-it-all jerk, it's because I am

Quote Originally Posted by bnkwnto View Post
    The Sportsman's in Fairbanks doesn't do special order, so if you want a caliber you have to just keep checking till they have it. Calibers they had in stock for the SuperLite's the other day were 7 Mag, .270 win, .300 WM, 30-06, .308, and .223. No WSM's that I saw, although that's not to say they won't make them in 2012. The gun counter guy said they sold very well last year so they are stocking more calibers.

Yk

Quote Originally Posted by alaskabliss View Post
    The super lite is a Cabelas and Sportsmans special. I picked mine up at the Wasilla Sportsmans. The come in .300 win, 7mm, 30-06 and .270. They scream for a Limbsaver recoil pad and shoot like a dream with one installed.
    AKbliss,
    Thanks for the info. I'm just not in a postion to be able to run down to the SW every few weeks. I hate to send to my wife to pick up a rifle. It's hard to tell what she will come home with. I really want a 270wsm but I don't guess there is more than a 200fps difference between it and regular 270. Do you happen to know the difference in weight between the two? Will the fluted barrel help the super lite cool faster? Thanks (I hope I didn't hijack the thread)

there has been some confusion created with these Tikka T3 models - the standard T3 Lite is what has been available for several years and the Tikka T3 superlight is this new model with a fluted barrel in stainless only "advertised" at 5lb 8oz - I would buy a 308 on the spot if I could find one ....

Quote Originally Posted by back country View Post
    there has been some confusion created with these Tikka T3 models - the standard T3 Lite is what has been available for several years and the Tikka T3 superlight is this new model with a fluted barrel in stainless only "advertised at 5lb 8oz - I would buy a 308 on the spot if I could find one ....
    I think there is some confusion between decimals and oz's here.

The Super Lites I saw were advertised (it was a sticker on the stock) at 5.8 lbs, which would work out to about 5 lb 13 oz. The standard 30-06 "Lite" that I have weighs in at 6.3 lbs or about 6 lb 5 oz. In theory that would make the weight savings with the flutes to be around 8 oz. I can't verify that since I don't have otherwise identical "Lites" and "Super Lites" to weight. Anyhow the only difference is flutes, so it's not a huge weight reduction, but I can feel it in the hand.

In real life, the weight is going to vary by bore diameter and barrel length. The advertised weights are probably closest in the 30-06 and pretty far off in a .223.

And yeah they did have one in .308 in Fairbanks, at least briefly, before Christmas. They were initially introduced in .270, .300 WM, and 30-06, but that has recently been expanded. They counter guy also thought they were getting them in .243 and maybe 22-250, but SW isn't really good about keeping their their guys informed, so take that with a grain of salt.

I looked over a couple of the superlights in SW here in Wasilla 2 days ago. Like mentioned the only weight savings is the flutes. I'd like to take my scale into SW and weigh a couple of their calibers but all of them have their standard rings installed on them and I am sure they'd frown on me removing them to get weights on these things.

That said if I were to buy a Tikka it certainly wouldn't be in a short action caliber as you don't save weight at all. I'd go 30-06 or 300 WM before I went .308 in Tikka.

now that it is mentioned, the decimals does bring it up some but the shallow fluting isn't gonna take 8oz off, no way - thank you Alaska Lanche for the advice but when someone is thinking "308" oftentimes there are other reasons, such are mine - I do like the superlight looks and feel, shooting it will tell the most important part of the story though - waiting on the firelap bullets, should be here by week's end, THEN I'll get started on this one (and then on to making my brass for the 338 WSM and yet another thread "saga")

It's your choice, but before you get carried away firelapping, you might shoot a few rds through it. My (admittedly only one) example has the smoothest bore of any production rifle I own. Not sure how they did it, but it makes cleaning a cinch.

I agree that ~8 oz savings with just flutes is pretty optimistic, but then again they looked like deeper than average flutes. Certainly I didn't see any other weight saving modifications. Somebody needs to trade me a 30-06 Super Lite so I can investigate this further

Yk

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast