Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Just a thought

Default Just a thought

Ok flame away. In Minnesota they went to no alcohol on Minnesota point a very poplular spot for smelting. The problems associated with smelting all went away. Litter went to almost zero. It also drasticaly cut people trespassing on private property to take a leak and what not. Parking opened up and those who were there for the smelting all cheered. Now dont get me wrong i love to tip a few, OK maybe more than a few but it sure tamed the circus. Before it was like the gong show. Drunk idiots trashing the place and on and on. Now its a great place to smelt. Just a thought. After i read teh Kenai dippnetting report it sure seemed cutting off the booze would fix a lot of problems.

Quote Originally Posted by kgpcr View Post
    Ok flame away. In Minnesota they went to no alcohol on Minnesota point a very poplular spot for smelting. The problems associated with smelting all went away. Litter went to almost zero. It also drasticaly cut people trespassing on private property to take a leak and what not. Parking opened up and those who were there for the smelting all cheered. Now dont get me wrong i love to tip a few, OK maybe more than a few but it sure tamed the circus. Before it was like the gong show. Drunk idiots trashing the place and on and on. Now its a great place to smelt. Just a thought. After i read teh Kenai dippnetting report it sure seemed cutting off the booze would fix a lot of problems.
    No flaming from me. It would be an interesting experiment to observe.
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

ya got my vote

yes, last year we camped next to some folks who when they started to get drunk started pushing their kid around and being an all around nuisance. me and the guy i was with (he was 13) told them to knock it off and they did, at least till we left later that day.
    Eccleasties 8:11 Because the sentence against an evil deed is not executed quickly, There for the hearts of the sons of men among them are given fully to do evil.

Every time I go dipping I am either to busy or too **** tired to drink. Anyone who has time is doing it wrong!

Quote Originally Posted by Hayduke View Post
    Every time I go dipping I am either to busy or too **** tired to drink. Anyone who has time is doing it wrong!
    I think that is exactly the point of the OP; too many people doing it wrong.
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    #Resist

Quote Originally Posted by iofthetaiga View Post
    I think that is exactly the point of the OP; too many people doing it wrong.
    that is correct! I wonder how many people come just for the partying. I love to party so i am NOT knocking it. Its just that AK is a HUGE state and there are plenty of places to party. It would seperate the guys who fish and those who are there for the party. There are only a handful of places to dipnet and thousands of places to party. Give the guys who want to fish a break!

yea sheep creek slough is the same **** way drives me up the wall....so is montana creek, willow creek, russian river, funny river CG, seward beach (least back in the old days when the silvers would storm the beaches) so i rarely bother with these places anymore....in fact, ill usually head off the road or up/down stream, find a nice little beach, set up camp catcha few fish, then relax with a few brews....much more peaceful....i do like to party too, but theres a time and a place for it....cant tell ya how many hours ive spent and how many bags or trash/beer cans and bottles ive hauled out of sheep creek slough

Release Lake Trout

i would hope we dont follow the same foot steps as minnesota does. i'm from there and i enjoy the outdoors alot more up here because there is not all the rules. Besides how would you enforce no drinking on the beach? I would just go into my rv and pound a few then go back out and net some more. Last year i made a margaritta in my camel back it worked perfect. people should just pick up this shiznit when they are done partying its simple.
    I will never be a "Prostaffer" its not that I am not good enough
    but its because I refuse to pimp products for free.

Its easy to enforce. you get caught drinking its a ticket. I love my Jack Daniels so i am NOT against having a few. It would thin out some of the lunk heads. As far as drinking in your RV have at it!! As for your point about cleaning up after one self you are dead on. they sure should. Like always a few turds wreck it for everyone.

Full agreement here and I'll put a $ on the table that you'd have the overwhelming support of the community and the city counsel. The city of Kenai can certainly ban alcohol on the beach during the dipnetting season. It would be simple and while it won't clean up the beach, it certainly would help with the crowd control. Ban alcohol on the beach within the fishing zone and out to the parking lots and up to the toll booths for the period of time when the toll booths are in place. The "partiers" can go to a different beach.

Time to petition the city counsel. This is a good idea, kgpcr.

BTW, if you really have to leave the fishing site and sneak back to the RV to "pound a few" before going back to the water, there is a group that can help.
    Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!

so i need to go to AA cause i like to have a few drinks while fishing...... sounds fairly rediculous to me. this one is for all you haters who are against drinking while fishing.

I love you man. No hate here. But people who have to sneak out back and tip the bottle frequently just to survive have an addiction. This becomes totally clear when alcohol is prohibited at a location and someone has to sneak out to drink before coming back in. There is help available for that problem. There's no comparison between that behavior and kicking back with some friends enjoying the time.

Dipnetting and Fishing are 2 completely different things. If you want to kick back with a brew, toss out some bait, and kick back to enjoy life, go for it. I like to do the same. That's fishing. But dipnetting is like going to the grocery store during a black friday super sale. You're not there to enjoy the crowds, try to prove some kind of skill, or just pass the time with friends. Folks go there to get meat for the freezer and that's it. There's no place for booze in that crowded environment.
    Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!

Trust me i dont "need" to drink when i fish or dip net but when i am on a road trip away from work i like to enjoy a few drinks with my friends. i had all sorts of salmon in the freezer before i went dip netting. it seems there are people who go there stictly to fill freezers and have zero fun doing it. All work and no play makes most dip netters boring . I went to have a good time with friends have a few drinks and drop the nets in to the water to see what happend. I refuse to go "fishing" or "harvesting" and not have fun. I guess i just dont see the problem in having a few drinks in between tides. Instead of banning this forbidden drink maybe there should be more cops to "regulate" this annual gathering of salmon slaying. If i cant have a beer in between tides while eating some delicious food i dont know what this world is comming too.

There was police presence, hired specifically for the dipnetting season, on the beach at all times while fishing was in progress.

Cops don't "regulate", they only deter through presence and enforce by citation.

I don't suppose you see a problem with "having a few drinks" on your drive down either. I guess I'll never understand some folks need to consume mind altering substances. Consume all you want, but not where you want. In a general public crowd is not the place to have open alcohol consumption.
    Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!

Default Interesting idea - and discussion...

Interesting idea.
    Maybe it "sounds fairly ridiculous" as kwackkillncrew posted. But I think that as population grows, user conflicts are likely to grow and more restrictive solutions are only a matter of time if we don't find a better answer soon. There's a record of user conflict at the mouth of the Kenai already. Year by year, I've come to agree with the locals there - the dunes just get trashed every year and the point about preserving that site seems to be lost on folks. Maybe some restriction would help us all reailze that if we don't become more proactive in protecting this resource, we risk losing it? This idea is worth hearing, especially if limited to areas where creative solutions to user conflicts are needed.

We do need to help work things out or others probably will. I don't think it has much to do with "haters who are against drinking while fishing" personally. Whether it's outdoors recreation or sharing space on the highway, we all have much to gain by giving some thought and sharing perspective/ideas when problems arise. I do think it's totally valid that some folks will be initially pissed off - as kgpcr stated in his OP ("Ok flame away."). But he's just sharing how one community addressed a similar problem elsewhere. We aren't confined to follow their lead, but - heads up - we are going to have user conflicts as the number of people outgrows available resources. Cooperation beats legislation, but it requires a little tolerance to be part of the local culture. Helping each other come to some understanding with discussions that don't blow up - is particularly in the interest of all who enjoy these Forums. IMO.

Good thread. Good contributing posts. Interesting viewpoints - all.

Quote Originally Posted by JOAT View Post
    I don't suppose you see a problem with "having a few drinks" on your drive down either. .
    i find it a little funny that you bring that up because we actually did. My buddy sober cabbed and drove the rv while me and my other buddy had a few beers while playing cribbage. And your talking about around the general public. i can see what your saying if your at the mouth where every body goes. we were dipping way down the beach from there by our selves until people saw us hauling them in then we had people all around us. so we tried to get away and be by our selves but thats inevitable. my point still stands the same. if a person cant have a beer or 2 while dip netting i dont know what to think. Just like now in the anchorage bourgh there are under cover cops going into bars and looking for people who are drunk and then arresting them for drunk in public...figure that one out. seems like the second prohibition is close to happening.

i dont mean to attack anyone by my views, and i understand where they are comming from and their points.
    If your in the meat hole where everyone goes to probably not a great idea to be poundin beers, but if you way up the beach and only a few people around i feel that haveing a beer or two should not be a problem.

Quote Originally Posted by 6XLeech View Post
    Interesting idea.
    Maybe it "sounds fairly ridiculous" as kwackkillncrew posted. But I think that as population grows, user conflicts are likely to grow and more restrictive solutions are only a matter of time if we don't find a better answer soon. There's a record of user conflict at the mouth of the Kenai already. Year by year, I've come to agree with the locals there - the dunes just get trashed every year and the point about preserving that site seems to be lost on folks. Maybe some restriction would help us all reailze that if we don't become more proactive in protecting this resource, we risk losing it? This idea is worth hearing, especially if limited to areas where creative solutions to user conflicts are needed.
    We do need to help work things out or others probably will. I don't think it has much to do with "haters who are against drinking while fishing" personally. Whether it's outdoors recreation or sharing space on the highway, we all have much to gain by giving some thought and sharing perspective/ideas when problems arise. I do think it's totally valid that some folks will be initially pissed off - as kgpcr stated in his OP ("Ok flame away."). But he's just sharing how one community addressed a similar problem elsewhere. We aren't confined to follow their lead, but - heads up - we are going to have user conflicts as the number of people outgrows available resources. Cooperation beats legislation, but it requires a little tolerance to be part of the local culture. Helping each other come to some understanding with discussions that don't blow up - is particularly in the interest of all who enjoy these Forums. IMO.

Good thread. Good contributing posts. Interesting viewpoints - all.
    I find this post to be wise and insightful. (Bold emphasis is mine). I think applying the label "hater" to anyone simply making a valid point is sophomoric and without merit. The point that some seem to be missing, is simple a matter of fact; when people drink, their ability to make wise decisions is diminished; fact, period. When large numbers of people congregate in a small area, and a significant portion of them are drinking, the likelihood that the area will suffer damage due to those people making poor decisions is elevated significantly. There is a documented history of degradation of the area as a result of dipnetter activity, and abundant evidence that alcohol consumption is a significant contributing factor. This is not about a persons individual right to consume alcohol, this is about the way people behave when they do; the problem it creates; and what can be done to mitigate it in the future.
    #Resist

well i feel that the most people can handle a beer or two while fishing and still be able to act responsible, if you cant police should be targeting them...not the average joe who wants to have a couple while fishing.
    (beer was consumed while the writting of this post)

Kwak
    I agree with everything you have said. Dont forget Beer isnt just for breakfast anymore!. Its just sad to see the place get trashed so bad. I pride myself in being a responsible drunk. There is nothing like a good pull of Jack to set the tone. I like a to have a few when fishing as well. Ok maybe more than a few some times.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast