Thread: am I on the right track

Default am I on the right track

in 2013 I am planning my first trip to Alaska and want to do a float hunt for moose. My question is will my 358 win be enough or should I go larger like 300 mag. I am a dead shot with my little BLR out to 100 off hand and 150 with a rest. Mounted on top is a Bushnell 1.5x4.5.
    also I see alot of people using rafts, is this for more stability or ease of operation. I have a Grumman sport boat and was hoping this would be a good choice.
    thanks in advance for all the input, and I am not some thin skinned wussy who cant handle criticism.

your weapon choice is suitable, but i'd rethink my inflatable selection. Many rivers are plagued with low water, so unless you're operating your float on well-established waterways with deep channels and don't mind spending more $$ on flight costs, consider a standard raft in the 14' class. The cheapest option might be to rent the right rig for your float, or sell your sportboat and buy a better suited inflatable for Alaska.

That said, a sportboat is suitable under very specific conditions, both water levels and number of people will determine what size sportboat will get the job done adequately.

larry

http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listi...&condition=new

Get your self this book as a starter and Larry has put out some float hunting videos that are available in the store on this site. I would highly recommend them. Then just spend as many hours as possible reading the old archives of this site and you can't go wrong. You have a long time to plan but make use of it.
    Semper Fi and God Bless

h-f-t
    The 358 winchester should be fine at the distances mentioned. Go with premium bullets. Any factory load for the 358 should be fine for moose with proper bullet placement (heart-lung). For bears (if needs be) I like a very rugged premium bullet that penetrates well so that the shoulder shot anchors the bear asap. Bullet placement - bullet construction.

Is your Grumman sport boat the aluminum square stern canoe? If it is you are probably NOT flying it out. Most air carriers won't let you attach canoes to their floats anymore and fly the boat out with you in the airplane. Check specifically with your airtaxi.

You have lots of options with the Grumman aluminum sport boat. Float down a class I - II river, paddle-pole-drag it up a small slow water creek, etc. I love using small oars on prams and square stern canoes. They are all I used before I had rubber boats. Remember you won't power row over the top of the water with massive oars & oar locks like you'd have on a raft. Your sport canoe will be much more in the water when loaded with moose. Paddles are useful in a sport boat.

The book suggestion is excellent. Outfit your float or boat trip as indicated in that book. Go synthetic clothing and go light. You will have less carrying capacity with the aluminum boat than with the 14' raft suggested. Moose are huge.

Make very sure you tell several someones exactly where you are going. Stick with your plan. I'd recommend renting a sat phone. They are better than a "Spot". You can get one up here and I'd recommend "holding" one 6-months out. They don't rent for too much if you don't have to use them and they are the cheapest insurance you can buy. Have fun and let us know how you did.

I've put a good amount of time carrying a 358 winchester blr up here in Alaska and will continue to do so for the rest of my life. I call it a "light 9.3x62 mauser rifle". The best bullet for this gun is the 250 grain speer hot cor. For the guys who prefer to not spend money on bush flights (keeps the cost of meat down), a good many of us use freighter canoes up here. Your boat will work if you keep the weight ultralight and have no extra passenger and on class 1 rivers. A copperhead 6hp would be ideal for that boat because our rivers are shallow. If you would like to learn more about running freighter canoes for hunting......visit the canoeing forum at the top of the forum directory. here is the latest discussion about freighter canoes:
    http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...53#post1057153

everyone thoughts that he is in the right track

everyone says that he is right

For the amount of money you are gonna spend on this hunt it would be a shame to pass up a moose cause it was out of range. Moving to the 300 might be worth it, plus you always need another gun.

I call BS about moving to the 300 magnum. If you can't get closer, than you have some serious lack of hunting skills. The 358 Winchester is a 300 yd. gun. With a 200 yd. zero, most full power handloads drop about 9-12 inches at 300 yds., I know because I've shot it at that distance. Talk about cheap moose meat, I burnt all of 5 gallons of gas and even used a non-premium bullet on this spike/fork moose. The canoe was an Old Town Discovery 17.5 ft with a Suzuki Twin cylinder 6 horse. Even went accross 2.5 foot waves on the return trip. I've run many different square stern canoes. They used to be the superior work boat of the north country and with a surface drive, they still are. Made it up current just fine with all the moose meat aboard. This small bull was shot at a little over 170 yds and dropped instantly:
    Attached Images Attached Images

Welcome to Outdoors Directory! I just found this thread, and it looks like several folks have chimed in already.

You might have a look at the HUNT PLANNING SECTION of this site for some ideas of how to go about this. There are a ton of details involved in putting an Alaska hunt together and you'll see some things there that will help with that. Best of all, you're in a great place to get ideas and help from folks who care about your trip.

Please let us know if we can be of further assistance to you!

Best regards,

-Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay

Bummer Hal! Sorry I saw it on a coffee mug once! Heck it's the new year and this sounds like a fun party. Sorry could not help my-self. To be honest IMO some valid points and asking questions and finding data is paramount to putting your needs, desires and wants into perspective. Boat is fine but as Larry pointed out it might limit your options to allowable rivers to float. As also pointed out most air carries tend to shy away of strap on Canoes and larger boats such as your Grumman if they can and some will not or are not rated to carry such things to begin with. Gun as also pointed out is fine for your intended hunt and to be honest 217 yards to the point is the longest shot I have ever taken on a Moose Hunt ( I was lazy that day and wished not to walk around the lake).

My advise is if you are driving up take into consideration what water type your comfortable with and adjust your hunt as required to meet your needs with your boat.

With most of us when you say float hunt we think Inflatable Boat, Inflatable Canoe and or Cataraft well and sometimes Canoe.

As Larry suggested you might find that renting or buying an inflatable might better suit your hunting requirements if in fact you wish to accomplish a fly out.

You might consider listing what your expectations are and what type of expierance you are looking for such as remote Float Hunt, just a Moose hunt with a chance of harvesting a Moose, would really like to touch off on a 50 plus inch moose etc.... a little more detail might go a long way to others assisting you achieve your hunt.

Best wishes and luck with your planning.

Happy New Year.

BMR

Quote Originally Posted by hunt-fish-trap View Post
    ...I have a Grumman sport boat and was hoping this would be a good choice...
    I don't generally recommend a rigid-hull sportboat for float hunting for the following reasons:

1. Difficulty in transport. Most rivers in Alaska are not road-accessible. You have to get in an airplane and fly there. Since the FAA forbids external loads on passenger flights, and you cannot get your sport boat inside the cabin of the plane, you've got to take a collapsible boat, usually an inflatable.

2. Transom-type sport boats are difficult to manage on moving rivers. Most hunters want to drift along silently with the current, using a rowing setup to control the boat. With a sport boat, you point the bow downstream and back-row to keep your boat oriented properly. When you do this, the current pushes against the transom, creating more work for you. Also the bottom of the transom is the lowest part of the hull, and will impact the river bed constantly. You'll end up with a costly repair bill. This is particularly true with inflatable sport boats.

You're better off with an inflatable boat and a rowing setup. The boat you choose is a function of the river you will float. I always tell my hunters to "let the river choose the boat", as some boats are better suited for one type of river over another.

Hope it helps!

-Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay

Quote Originally Posted by mainer_in_ak View Post
    I call BS about moving to the 300 magnum. If you can't get closer, than you have some serious lack of hunting skills. The 358 Winchester is a 300 yd. gun. With a 200 yd. zero, most full power handloads drop about 9-12 inches at 300 yds., I know because I've shot it at that distance. Talk about cheap moose meat, I burnt all of 5 gallons of gas and even used a non-premium bullet on this spike/fork moose. The canoe was an Old Town Discovery 17.5 ft with a Suzuki Twin cylinder 6 horse. Even went accross 2.5 foot waves on the return trip. I've run many different square stern canoes. They used to be the superior work boat of the north country and with a surface drive, they still are. Made it up current just fine with all the moose meat aboard. This small bull was shot at a little over 170 yds and dropped instantly:
    Although the gun may be a 300 yard gun, the OP stated that he is good to 100-150yds. Although the gun is definitely adequate for the hunt, as another had stated, it would be a bummer to miss an opportunity due to range. It's a risk the OP will want to weigh in their consideration for sure.

Another misconception mentioned is the issue with the transom, there is no issue. The sport boat could be considered a canoe-like hull. You can paddle them down current, we do it all the time. You actually wouldn't need oars for a sport boat, just a wide whiskey jack paddle. I kill the motor all the time and float down the rivers, even on my larger freighter canoes. With the Discovery Sport Canoe pictured, I used to kill the motor all the time and paddle. The transom is narrow enough on these boats that they don't build up water, or interfere with paddling. Just another "theoretical" opinion with no actual experience behind it. This will be my last post here. Hunt-fish-trap, if you want to actually talk to folks who run canoes for hunting and fishing, go to the canoe forum, if not, get a raft, find a flight service to the desired location, spend the money, and have a great hunt. If you are interested in running your sport boat, save some money, stick to a less demanding river, and have a great hunt.

If you are idling along, these canoes use very little engine power and you can get up on game animals without them even knowing. These canoes go very slow on the initial float......as slow as you'd like and the motors are as quiet as can be. I can't count all the times I've got within 50 yds of large game animals without them even knowing of my presence. Another theoretical example of non sense......that the motor will scare away animals. Don't go full throttle and just take your time glassing, calling, and idling along. You can also kill the motor when you see an animal off in the distance, and continue the stalk with a paddle. I guess this large moose that we saw right before hunting season must have gotten "spooked when we were withing 50 yds. of him huh?:
    (motor was idling pushing us about 5 mph)

Attached Images Attached Images

One more quick post, and I'll be done with it.

We canoe folks are used to much doubt regarding our boat of choice. I'm overly passionate about canoes as I grew up in em, worked on em for a living prior to my military years, still build them and travel all over with em to this day. I apologize if my prior post was a bit too blunt. We have a new-born baby "Gabriel River". The middle name "River" because he spent half of his unborn life on rivers and in a freighter canoe. Garbriel has his momma n fathah sleepless for the past three nights! Maybe I should drink a good bit of coffee next time I start posting. Happy New Years folks.

-Michael

forum member jtm9 from Kodiak running rivers with a Grumman sport boat full of moose meat:

http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...56#post1059856

Mainer thanks for the support on my choice of boats,. with that said, the reason I stated "out to 150" is that if I cant get that close then I dont want to pack it out. I am coming to Alaska to have an adventure, but also I am going to fill my freezer. And if all goes well I might not even go back and you will be stuck with me.
    But I still am in the planning stages and just started getting information on density of animals and locations where I can harvest as much food in my time allotted in your great state. I will keep soaking up as much information as possible and learning as much as I can.
    thanks for all your reply's, Larry