Thread: A work in progress with pics

Talking A work in progress with pics

This is a cabin I am working on. Long time coming.IMGP1208.jpg I have been working on this cabin since 2007 and just this fall got the roof on.IMGP1135.jpg It started snowing about 10 days after the steel was on. Nice to have the roof on.

Very nice You did all that by yourself ?
    Alaska bound !

The concrete showed up in a truck and the driver and I finished it. This fall I hired two guys to finish the roof, before snowfall. Other than that it has been just me. IMGP1152.jpga lot of work but I see a light at the end of the tunnel.

Thanks for the thumbsup
    Attached Images Attached Images

Wow, a lot of work getting that far. Good frikkin job.
    Are you on the road system? Did the trees come off your land?
    What are you siding the logs with?
    Live life and love it
    Love life and live it

Thanks you guys,
    I am about a mile from the paved road but there is road access.IMGP1145.jpg A few of the larger logs like the ridge pole and the center log holding up the first floor are logs I towed out with my snowmachine. The ridgepole was fun as it is 37 ft long and goes about 500 lbs. It took a while to get that one home. Most all the other logs I purchased from a local mill. Almost all of the logs are what is called fire killed or standing dead logs so they were naturally kiln dried as it were.IMGP1168.jpg
    The trees on my land are to small to use for house logs but they make nice fire wood. By siding do you mean what am I coating the logs with. I will be putting some type of log oil on them after I strip/sand the rest of the bark and rough spots, the logs will not be smooth or what some would call finished smooth. I like the rough look. They are the natural texture of the logs.
    When we get moved in, we will be morgage and rent free which will be a very very nice change for us. Wood heat with a propane backup heat source maybe a few propane lights and cook stove. We would like to get off the power grid and produce our own but that will take time and lots of money. Someday it will happen.

I will post more pics in the future

Good new year to all

Looks fantastic. Mortgage and rent free....the dream. Congratulations.

Thank you guys , it is a lot of work but it is worth it in so many ways.IMGP1091.jpg

Good job putting that together by yourself thats a lot of work and it looks great!

thanks I can't wait to move in and say goodby to rent and heating oil, waiting.

man, you are livin the dream we all dream about. Richard Proenneke would be proud! and I am jealous.

I am not sure how proud he would be. He used hand tools only I own and use only power tools. He built his cabin in one summer. I have been working on mine since 08.IMGP1161.jpgIMGP1195.jpg
    Thanks for the comments

Smile Work in process

My wife & i had plenty of beetle kill on our property for a log cabin, fortunately or unfortunately, however you look at it, it became our firewood for several years & counting. We decided on milled lumber(aka stick cabin).still nice, but not a" log"! My hat is off to you though, that's a lot of work of which i wasn't interested in at my age.YOUR WORK IN PROCESS IS PRICELESS!!! I'm very impressed!! And yes, living off the grid is beyond words at this point in time.P1020327.jpg

One of the real advantages of a stick framed cabin/house is that it can be framed to weather with a roof on in a very short time compared to using logs. CF
    Very nice looking place you have, you should be proud. It's a long way up to clean that stovepipe. Be careful up there...IMGP1148.jpg