Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: engine swap

Default engine swap

I have an 03 Skidoo Summit 800 rev chassis. I was wondeing if anyone knows if the motor out of my sled would be able to swap into my friends 07 Skidoo Summit 800, also a rev chassis. His motor blew and I was looking to buy his sled and swap my motors into his chassis. I thought it would be an easy swap but some people have told me that the motors wouldn't fit. I haven't had the chance to call AMDS yet but figured I would try here and see what everyone knows.oo

Rev X, Rev XP, Rev XR, Seems to be a few different ones i would post over here to see if some one has enfo..
    http://www.dootalk.com/forums/index.php?&&CODE=00

Anything will fit just depends on how big a hammer you are willing to swing. I believe the motor mounts and a couple of other things were relocated. Get him to pull his engine and take a close look.

wow them skidonts blow up all the time! bet them canadians are laughing about it too!
    Semper Fi!

Quote Originally Posted by greythorn3 View Post
    wow them skidonts blow up all the time! bet them canadians are laughing about it too!
    Last spring 13 Arctic Crap chaincases blew up. 1 Polaris chaincase. 2 700 Polaris engines within hours of each other. Last weekend a buddy (that shall remain nameless) Blew up his engine and his wife lost her chaincase. Both Arctic Cats. A couple weeks ago a guy couldn't get his SkiDoo started.... it was -46. No one rides Yamaha where I go except one older guy. He has good luck so far with it. The old Ford Chevy Dodge rant as far as I see.

You will need to bring the motor mount plate from your '03 with the motor to mount in the '07. Both are the same chassis' but the '07 was a new motor with a new mount plate. The frame was the same.

By the way a Rev X is not a chassis. The X is a package option not a different frame.

Quote Originally Posted by dirtofak View Post
    Last spring 13 Arctic Crap chaincases blew up. 1 Polaris chaincase. 2 700 Polaris engines within hours of each other. Last weekend a buddy (that shall remain nameless) Blew up his engine and his wife lost her chaincase. Both Arctic Cats. A couple weeks ago a guy couldn't get his SkiDoo started.... it was -46. No one rides Yamaha where I go except one older guy. He has good luck so far with it. The old Ford Chevy Dodge rant as far as I see.
    The only reason for a chaincase to blow up.....is poor maintenance regardless of brand. Also many times not properly warming things up will cause big problems. I will bet about no one picks the back of their sleds up and spins the track to loosen things up as recommended. In 15 years of riding Cats here in Ak (and with more then 40 years total experience around all brands of sleds) I have only blown one chain and that was of my fault as I was trying to make it to the end of the season. The adjuster was basically turned all the way in, when it went I laughed my butt off. Water is very common in chaincases from numerous sources and will kill a chain/bearings. Half my sleds now run the Diamond Drive and I have well exceeded the average life expectance of these units. One of which I have over 8,000 miles with out a rebuild. Operator care and good oil make a huge difference.

As far as the Cat/Polaris engines blowing up, how about some specifics, sled, year, number of miles, oil used, how was it ridden, etc.

As far as a sled not starting at -46 pretty common.

Ski Doo has had their issues as of the last few years with engine problems, but so has Polaris and so has Arctic Cat, but one manufacturer has had a few more engine problems then the rest.

Be ready for next year, FOUR STROKES will be the most common sled on dealer floors. Arctic Cat is one year ahead. The reason the 800 is still a two stroke becuase they average the EPA emissions across the whole sled line.

I almost choked the other day when I heard a sales person say that ALL their 2 strokes meet 2014 EPA requirements. Not even Doo can say that with their ETEC, just yet, I am hearing about another redesign for the ETEC.

What oil are you using in your diamond drives? It's time to do mine, so is there something better than the Cat oil?

Quote Originally Posted by AKDoug View Post
    What oil are you using in your diamond drives? It's time to do mine, so is there something better than the Cat oil?
    I have been using Amsoil 15w-40 diesel oil. I change it at the start of the season and then again about 2,000 miles or so into the season. I also have the magectic drain plug to keep an eye on my wear. Realize that I have been doing this since they were new. I change the track pretty much the day they come home, so I drain the oil then and put in the 15w-40. Really when I say I use that oil in everything , I am not kidding. Ok I will admit it, I do not use 15w-40 in my chain drive sleds. I use the Lucas engine oil additive, right out of the bottle.

Do flush it out with a little tranny fluid or any other cheap oil you have handy. Ensure that it flows out clear. You know the drain plug dumps in the sled. I drilled a small hole to drain to a pan, then use carb cleaner to clean things up. Get all the belt dirt off the drive, the footwell, the frame, clean the clutch, etc. A small rubber plug from Lowes or AIH to close the hole back up.

Thanks for the info.

Quote Originally Posted by Dupont Spinner View Post

Be ready for next year, FOUR STROKES will be the most common sled on dealer floors. Arctic Cat is one year ahead. The reason the 800 is still a two stroke becuase they average the EPA emissions across the whole sled line.

I almost choked the other day when I heard a sales person say that ALL their 2 strokes meet 2014 EPA requirements. Not even Doo can say that with their ETEC, just yet, I am hearing about another redesign for the ETEC.
    Thank God I have only 2-stroke and will stay with that until Yamaha comes out with a roots type supercharger for their sleds.

2-strokes rule, all other suck. If I wanted to go slow, I would get 4-stroker. I like going fast.
    Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocre minds. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence. Albert Einstein

Better living through chemistry (I'm a chemist)

You can piddle with the puppies, or run with the wolves...

Have you ridden an 1100 Turbo Cat? It's fast as hell.

Quote Originally Posted by Nitroman View Post
    Thank God I have only 2-stroke and will stay with that until Yamaha comes out with a roots type supercharger for their sleds.

2-strokes rule, all other suck. If I wanted to go slow, I would get 4-stroker. I like going fast.
    If you are a 2 stroke guy get one now. Even next year I predict that the Irondog will have many more 4 strokes then 2 strokes. Also if you think that a 4 stroke is slow don't do an internet search for fastest snowmachines. You will find that the quickest on tar is Arctic Cat at somewhere around 170 mph in the quarter with tuning mostly stock sled. The fastest with power adders I think I read was 210 mph in the quarter.

Believe me, I was saying the same thing as you but the 2012's have changed my mind.....I have not sold my 2 strokes yet but am considering my choices for the near future. Also with AC having a dry sump system should prove to have little to no problems cold starting. No problems with roll over while running either.

skidoo has sunk to a new level in manufacturing, they are about the same quality as the chinese units anymore, back 10-20 years ago they were allot better at quality.
    Semper Fi!

Thanks for the info. I talked to AMDS today and they said that it would require more work if the wiring harnesses in mine sled didnt have matching part numbers to the new chassis. Either way I think that I might just keep riding mine out for a bit and then look into upgrading later on in the year. Maybe I can actually get away from work and broke aircraft to go riding with all this new powder....who knows...tomorrow is a new day after all.

Quote Originally Posted by JRicke1032 View Post
    Thanks for the info. I talked to AMDS today and they said that it would require more work if the wiring harnesses in mine sled didnt have matching part numbers to the new chassis. Either way I think that I might just keep riding mine out for a bit and then look into upgrading later on in the year. Maybe I can actually get away from work and broke aircraft to go riding with all this new powder....who knows...tomorrow is a new day after all.
    Yep might be a better summer project then middle of the riding season.

Quote Originally Posted by JRicke1032 View Post
    I have an 03 Skidoo Summit 800 rev chassis. I was wondeing if anyone knows if the motor out of my sled would be able to swap into my friends 07 Skidoo Summit 800, also a rev chassis. His motor blew and I was looking to buy his sled and swap my motors into his chassis. I thought it would be an easy swap but some people have told me that the motors wouldn't fit. I haven't had the chance to call AMDS yet but figured I would try here and see what everyone knows.oo
    There will be quite a bit more information over on www.hardcoresledder.com. People who are seriously into sleds, for winter and summer.
    Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocre minds. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence. Albert Einstein

Better living through chemistry (I'm a chemist)

You can piddle with the puppies, or run with the wolves...

Is his sled complete? Yours sounds like it's complete. You can take your motor and wiring harness and put it all into the '07. Or put your motor into the '07 and send the '07 MPEM to ski-doo to be reprogrammed for the '03 motor without the knock sensor and TPS.

Quote Originally Posted by Nitroman View Post

Here is a link of some friends breaking in their new sleds back east......they currently have no snow. Good thing 4 strokers are slow or they may have gotten hurt.

What were the race sleds running for speeds?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast