Thread: General Questions about the Draw

Default General Questions about the Draw

I realize the answers to these are probably posted elsewhere but I'm out of town and using a public computer so I don't have time to do a search. Hopefully someone can help me out.

So, my father, brother in-law and I are putting in for sheep and goat hunts in the up-coming draw. Iím an Alaska resident but they are not. If I understand correctly they can put in for the draw on these hunts but they have to either have a guide or can hunt with me. If so my questions are:
    1. If they are successful in the draw do I also need a tag for that particular draw or do I just need a general hunting license? I'm pretty sure the regs say a general hunting license but I want to make sure.
    2. If we put in as party for one hunt do we get only one number in that draw, as in one number for the group, or do we each get the same number and its entered in the draw 3 times? I canít tell this from the regs. What Iím trying to figure out is what increases our odds of at least one of us getting a tag, as a party or as an individual?
    3. Finally, if we put in for both a goat and a sheep hunt and get lucky enough to draw both, do we have to purchase licenses for both a sheep and a goat? My brother in-law only has enough money to go on one hunt so if heís required to purchase tags if heís drawn for both we need to change our plans.
    Thanks in advance for the help.
    Patrick

Patrick- These really are questions that should be posed directly to AF&G or the Wildlife Troopers. But in good forum tradition I will give it a poke.

1) It is my understanding that a non-resident can be accompanied by a brother or son without any issues, even on a draw hunt that the Alaskan resident doesn't have a tag for. You are basically the guide in this case.

2) It is also my understanding that the party gets one number in the draw.

3) There is no legal requirement to use a drawn permit, nor purchase a NR tag for that animal if you do not intend to hunt it.

Thanks AKDoug. I did send an email to ADFG but with it being the holidays and limited time I wanted to try and get some input. I read the regs just exactly as you stated it so thanks again.

Quote Originally Posted by patrickL View Post
    So, my father, brother in-law and I are putting in for sheep and goat hunts in the up-coming draw. Iím an Alaska resident but they are not. If I understand correctly they can put in for the draw on these hunts but they have to either have a guide or can hunt with me.
    I'm not sure that you can guide for your brother in law. He may need more money for a guide.

Does my % go down if I apply for a spring Kodiak bear permit with a party application since those hunts give out so few tags (4-8 tags in the areas I apply for)?

Quote Originally Posted by Matt View Post
    Does my % go down if I apply for a spring Kodiak bear permit with a party application since those hunts give out so few tags (4-8 tags in the areas I apply for)?

I wouldn't apply with a party on hard to draw tags, or low number of permit tags issued, especially when it comes down to the last (one) tag.... party applications won't even be considered.

Quote Originally Posted by patrickL View Post
    So, my father, brother in-law and I are putting in for sheep and goat hunts in the up-coming draw. Iím an Alaska resident but they are not. If I understand correctly they can put in for the draw on these hunts but they have to either have a guide or can hunt with me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wet eNuf View Post
    I'm not sure that you can guide for your brother in law. He may need more money for a guide.
    Page ten of the regulations are pretty clear - within second degree of kindred. This includes bro-in-law as well as stepbrother.

AK_Ray is right, its clearly stated in the regs. I was just trying to avoid the argument buy stating it as a less than certain. I thought my numbered questions made it pretty clear what I was mainly interested....but so much for that idea. Anyway, the way I read the regs is exactly in line with AKDoug but its not really clear. I've sent ADFG an email so I'll post up once I get their response, hopefully before the 31st.

A party hunt is only for two people. You can't put in three people for a party hunt. Two of you could, but the third would have to put in as an individual.

Points to consider. Party hunts are good for the hard to reach, expensive hunts because you either get no permits or two permits. A lot of times, just one permit isn't practical due to the cost for a single animal. If there are only a low number of permits available, and expecially if you aren't worried as long as at least one gets a permit, you are better off to go in individually. For example, if there are only 5 permits available and your "party" gets number 5, you won't get a permit. Numbers 1-4 will, but since there is only one permit left available and your party would take two, your party gets set aside and number 6 will get permit number 5 instead (assuming they are only an individual applicant).